Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Broken Transfer Case

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2012, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Broken Transfer Case

So, in a nutshell to keep this short, My transfer case and probably rear diff are broke/wheels are locked. Im just trying to figure out the cause, and I have a new theory. Very soon after I bought my evo my clutch burnt out, so it got replaced both clutch and flywheel with oem by a mitsu dealer. October I went to one of those oil change places to get my oil changed for a road trip to florida. During the change the guy brought me a sample of what he said was gear oil, which was pitch black like ink while telling and showing me another oil that was light colored like clean cooking oil I guess. I ended up getting manual transmission oil changed out.
Skip forward to november, while driving on the highway I hear a weird sound and pull over, and as i was stopping the wheels locked. Eventually when I get it looked at the dealer telly me that the drain plug is missing from my transfer case.

Now with that Im thinking that that the tech put LSD oil in my transmission, but I dont know if that would cause damage to the transfer case. Also, is it possible to tell what kind of oil is in the transmission if a sample was taken?

And yes, Im changing my own stuff from now on, or taking it to a dealer until i get a guy I can trust.
Old Dec 29, 2012, 10:03 PM
Evolved Member

It wasn't a Jiffylube was it?

Sounds like you need to contact that place that thought you had a base Lancer
Old Dec 30, 2012, 07:51 AM

It was a place called the lube center that changes the stuff for my work truck. So the base lancer uses different transmission fluid?
Old Dec 30, 2012, 11:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm confused. The drain plug on the transfer case was gone, right? So why are we talking about the transmission fluid?

I suppose that you should check everything else, if the people that worked on the car are that incompetent, but the reason for the dead transfer case seem clear.

What I am missing here?

ps. you have my sympathy, because the warranty doesn't apply and proving that someone left the drain cap off is very hard (unless you find it on a bench in their shop)
Old Dec 30, 2012, 01:41 PM

I had a similar issue ealier this year. I took it to the dealer and found out that the tcase was supposed to be replaced before but the original stamp was on the tcase and was never changed the new dealership took care of it and told me they have been seeing alot of overfill issues. I say just try and see what mitsu can do or call the corprate office of the company
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:13 PM
Evolving Member

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
been there... douches put auto trans fluid in my evo 9's t-case a few years back. lasted a week then got the death whine. they tried saying i told them to put it in there. after i got really pissed, they replaced the t-case on their dime. but i was without my evo for a month :/