Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Car paid off = clutch starting to slip

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car paid off = clutch starting to slip

How convenient isn't it? 54k mile with 350awhp and many passes at the drag strip finally did her in. I've been pricing around and the cheapest I could find for labor cost will be about 1000$. I've found cheaper but its quite a drive and will end up totaling almost the same price with drive time/gas money. So it looks like I'll be attempting to change it myself. There's a great how-to write up that I'll be following. I probably don't know what I'm getting myself into since I've never done anything this extensive on a car before. So wish me luck, I'll be doing it in a month or so.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:44 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I will pray to the evo gods for you.

The most extensive thing I've done so far on my car is change my brake pads, so I wouldn't even think of attempting this. Maybe if I had a second car, so I wouldn't have to rush.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kreeker
I will pray to the evo gods for you.

The most extensive thing I've done so far on my car is change my brake pads, so I wouldn't even think of attempting this. Maybe if I had a second car, so I wouldn't have to rush.
I do have a 2nd car so there will be no rushing involved.

How mechanically inclined are you? Doing a clutch isn't very difficult, just don't lose anything that you take off. Make sure to be neat and orderly with everything and you will learn and remember much more.

Btw if you don't have a jack you better get in shape to bench press that tranny in there!
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good luck! which clutch are you gonna get?
Old Feb 7, 2013, 08:56 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by vweater1369
How mechanically inclined are you? Doing a clutch isn't very difficult, just don't lose anything that you take off. Make sure to be neat and orderly with everything and you will learn and remember much more.

Btw if you don't have a jack you better get in shape to bench press that tranny in there!
I fix F-15s for a living so I'm good with fixing things mechanically related. And the military base has a hobby shop with all tools / car lifts that I could ever ask for.

Originally Posted by ogrenator
good luck! which clutch are you gonna get?
Don't know yet, I have a lot of research to do since I don't know much about the different types of clutches.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 09:18 AM
Evolving Member

carbonetic twin disk
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by xo0p
I fix F-15s for a living
That's badass, must be pretty cool! I have always wondered though, and this is an honest question, what's it like working on and fixing something that you can't ever drive (or fly in this instance)?

Regarding clutches, with your power level and apparent driving style based on your stock clutch's life, check out the Competition Stage 2 with sprung full-face organic disc. Also, be sure to remove the plastic restrictor pill inside your clutch slave cylinder.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:35 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Kracka
That's badass, must be pretty cool! I have always wondered though, and this is an honest question, what's it like working on and fixing something that you can't ever drive (or fly in this instance)?

Regarding clutches, with your power level and apparent driving style based on your stock clutch's life, check out the Competition Stage 2 with sprung full-face organic disc. Also, be sure to remove the plastic restrictor pill inside your clutch slave cylinder.
I got to ride as a passenger once and it was amazing.

I am at 350 awhp and mainly I just do spirited driving around town. Probably won't be hitting the track again due to repair cost that I can't afford right now. So probably a clutch that would be good for daily use at a decent price.
Old Feb 7, 2013, 11:40 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I got to ride as a passenger once and it was amazing.

I am at 350 awhp and mainly I just do spirited driving around town. Probably won't be hitting the track again due to repair cost that I can't afford right now. So probably a clutch that would be good for daily use at a decent price.
Awesome, I bet it was!

Check out the clutch I mentioned, it should be a good fit for you.
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ve...-alt-hdss.html
Old Feb 7, 2013, 12:46 PM

I fix F-15s for a living so I'm good with fixing things mechanically related. And the military base has a hobby shop with all tools / car lifts that I could ever ask for.
Gee, an Evo Clutch should be a piece of cake with a decent write up then! lol

That is totally badass btw.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by vweater1369

Haha, even if you have a jack, sometimes its just easier to bench press a tranny. No pain, no gain!
I wish had access to a lift, makes life so easy.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck! My clutch is still doing good at 22k but I don't ever launch the car.

I know eventually the time will come
Old Feb 8, 2013, 11:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock downpipe? Ur biggest hurdle would be clearing the downpipe, and getting the transfer case out of the way. Other than that, it's pretty straightforward.
Old Feb 8, 2013, 07:05 PM

Always the best luck/timing for this to happen eh?

Quick Reply: Car paid off = clutch starting to slip