Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

leather vs cloth ?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2013, 08:40 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
leather vs cloth ?

It's been a couple years since I sold my 9 and looking for a another daily driver. I am all but convinced the MR is the right car because my wife can drive it in an emergency if she needs to. .. my question is to current owners how is the wear and tear of the leather and do you slide regardless of how tight the seats fit ya?

Also the nav? How accurate is it and is it user friendly.
Old Mar 19, 2013, 09:37 PM

I have leather and navigation in my GSR. The leather is nice and is similar to a synthetic leather that comes with the new Mustang GTs and GT500's (My dad has a 5.0 GT with leather). I don't slide around in the EVO at all due to the aggressive bolstering and I'm skinny at 5'9" 151lbs. Also, I have had the car for about 10 months and the leather still looks brand new (though I do maintain it).

The nav is actually pretty awesome and user friendly; however, compared to newer navigations like the ones available for the new BMW models it does look a bit dated but works great and does come in handy.

Last edited by nonocei; Mar 19, 2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:09 AM

I have the cloth and kind of wish I had the leather, mainly because it seems that my cloth seats just want to fall apart.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 05:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Leather seats are built very well...and the Navi works really well but like said above its not as nice on the eyes as a merc or bmw layout...but not a piece by any means...well worth the purchase...a lot of options that you can change
Old Mar 20, 2013, 08:44 AM
Evolving Member

Leather was the only choice for me. Wasn't a big fan of the cloth seats. No issues with mine, hold me tight and still look great with 8k miles of use. I do not slide around at all. Having a larger frame 6'3" 240lbs surely helps.

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have the cloth seats and have a strange wear pattern that has become apart of the left side of the seat bolster where it looks like i swing my leg over and have created a couple of permanent wrinkles in the seat that can't be smoothed out... I'm a larger dude 6' 215 lbs. but think i'd still prefer the cloth just for the temperature ranges that i live in... cold and hot suck for leather IMHO.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:43 AM
Evolved Member

Thanks for all the replies!

I am going to talk to my local dealer about ordering a 2014 if I can. If they rock my a good deal on the 13's they have on the lot (even have 2 of the 2012's there too) I may consider them.

The cool thing is they sell the MR's with an EXTRA set of TR wheels (thats the brand) with Blizzacks on them. Now I am sure its padded in the price somewhere, but if I can get them to my number in mind, then it saves me from having to buy an extra set of wheels and tires.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:51 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SavageGSR
I have the cloth seats and have a strange wear pattern that has become apart of the left side of the seat bolster where it looks like i swing my leg over and have created a couple of permanent wrinkles in the seat that can't be smoothed out... I'm a larger dude 6' 215 lbs. but think i'd still prefer the cloth just for the temperature ranges that i live in... cold and hot suck for leather IMHO.
To be honest with you these seats don't seem to have these issues...my old leather seats got really hot and cold...these don't really do that...at all...cold for maybe 2 minutes but warm up super fast and if you get leather you get heated seats....and they don't really get hot to the touch even though they are black...maybe b/c they are aerated...either way I'm a big fan
Old Mar 20, 2013, 11:58 AM

I have 47k miles on my 2011 (I drive a LOT) with leather and the seats are starting to show light cracking on the outer bolster... I'll take pics next time I'm in my car. I also take care of them. Use Leather wipes every few months and am very careful in how I enter/exit the car.

The seats in my mom's 2010 Accord have not fared as well.
Old Mar 20, 2013, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by iroc-evo
I have 47k miles on my 2011 (I drive a LOT) with leather and the seats are starting to show light cracking on the outer bolster... I'll take pics next time I'm in my car. I also take care of them. Use Leather wipes every few months and am very careful in how I enter/exit the car.

The seats in my mom's 2010 Accord have not fared as well.
good to know, the seats seem to be the nicest thing inside the new x lol
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:14 PM

here are some pics I took this morning....

driver side:

zoomed out a bit:

both seats from afar:

and the passenger side:

like I said, I wipe them down with leather wipes every so often and I also watch how I get in and out. The outer bolster on the driver side has the most wear (obviously). And I USE these bolsters lol
Old Mar 21, 2013, 12:37 PM

Just saw your question about the nav. it is the single WORST thing about the evo. Unless you have an address for the place you're going, forget about it because the navigation will not find it. I can't even find simple places like a post office.

Again, to compare with my mom's Accord, her nav is much more user friendly. But the evo's nav is better than having no nav at all.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 01:09 PM

i have an 08 mr and i love my leather seats.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 03:08 PM

Just saw your question about the nav. it is the single WORST thing about the evo. Unless you have an address for the place you're going, forget about it because the navigation will not find it. I can't even find simple places like a post office.

Again, to compare with my mom's Accord, her nav is much more user friendly. But the evo's nav is better than having no nav at all.
I don't agree with that. I find the Nav finds everything I throw at it.

btw I have a 2012 MR and love the leather seats. I don't slide at all and the don't get too hot or cold.
Old Mar 21, 2013, 04:40 PM

I think the worst thing about the Evo X is the REALLY cheap plastic dash that rattles like crazy hahaha. I love this car. The nav isn't bad at all IMO.

Quick Reply: leather vs cloth ?