Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Is an EVO X right for me?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is an EVO X right for me?

Good evening everyone. Now that I'm close to graduating school, have a good bit of money saved up, & finished paying off my '02 Honda Accord last year I want to get myself a toy for my birthday in a few months. My credit score is 'OK' . I plan to finance through my own bank that I've been in good standing in for awhile now and I'll have 20% down. Not to mention my father has been a business customer with them for over 9 years, if he is willing to cosign that'll be great. I know EVO's are subject to be beaten on, so I want a lightly used one. Has to be under 5k miles &'12+ to maximize warranty. Willing to spend $29k-$30k. If I can find a brand new overstock 2012 model for <$32k, I'll budge.

I'm 21 going on 22, male. Everyone who knows me says I might as well be over 30. I don't speed, I hate when people drive like jackasses on the street so no need to worry about me killing someone. Which is seriously . I do want something fun to drive, however. I want a weekend only/pleasure car that will eventually be used for AutoX and then HPDE1. I'm going to DD my Accord. It's a great car but it is so damn boring and tame. I want something raw, unrefined, loud & stiff with tight steering that I can get all giddy about when it comes to take her out every Friday morning. The combination of that and the sound of an aftermarket turbo back is enough to give me an ear to ear smile for the majority of the drive. I plan to refine my driving through AutoX then move on to HPDE1-4 events. Probably not into time attack though. & I have a local drag strip so that is sure to provide some fun. I'm not looking into modding the car much performance wise, just want to hit ~300WTQ & I'll be fine. So probably... Tune, Intake, Turbo back, Suspension. I was looking into an older car, (E46 M3) & another new car [Subaru BRZ]. Then I realized that that slashed the price on the X. Based on what I've told you, do you think I'd be happy with an X? Or I'd be better off spending my money elsewhere.

Thanks for your time.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 05:43 PM

Id say, build your credit first.

Did you get loans for school?
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Ikaika14
Id say, build your credit first.

Did you get loans for school?
I figured this would be a great way to boost my credit? I'm looking at 6% APR max depending on how much I throw down and how long the loan is for according to my bank. I don't think that is too bad, is it? I mean I payed 12.9% on my first car -_-....

& no. I'm completely debt free. My parents have allowed me to live at home as long as I went to school & payed for my own things like my phone, gas, car insurance. I also work 2 jobs so while I don't have much free time, I have a good amount of extra money at the end of every month. My parents are older & are moving out of the country when I graduate and find a job. They have property elsewhere so they are handing off our current house's payments to me. So I already have a place lined up.

Last edited by Chefness; Apr 2, 2013 at 06:12 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

check how much insurance will be too
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:15 PM
Evolved Member

Usually financing through the dealer gives u a better interest rate then through a bank.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:15 PM

debt free...

If you can get an X without worrying about the payments, Id say go for it..
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:17 PM
Evolving Member

If I could do it over again, I'd go for the BRZ or S2K. I feel that the X is too heavy to be competitive in autox unless you put a lot of money into it.

But if you're dead set on the Evo and only care about about having fun and not being competitive in autox, sure, go for it.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:20 PM
Evolving Member

Evo X will be an exciting choice for you as a daily driver, plus I can see a 50-something guy who can afford having a 30-something woman around, taking a weekday afternoon off for swimming, and going to fashion shows (Jalopnik: See Your Lexus Dealer About Your Midlife Crisis Today) getting off from the driver seat of an Evo (instead of a Lexus LS) with the newer colors (MG, CB). I say so because you mentioned that "[e]veryone [...] says I might [...] be over 30."

However, if you want to track a car, an all-wheel-drive turbo car that laps Nurburgring at 7:57 may be too ferocious for you to handle and too expensive to fix if something breaks. A naturally aspirated rear-wheel-drive car (Miata, S2000, 350Z, 370Z, or FR-S/BRZ as you mentioned) should be a better choice. You can tell that you are becoming a better driver everyday by tracking those.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:29 PM
Evolved Member

yea man, look at what your payments are gonna be, look at what the insurance is going to cost, factor in about 300 bucks a fuel a month, and if u can pay for it all go for it! worst thing that can happen is the bank will take it back LoL!
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:37 PM
Evolving Member

The X isn't for you
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:38 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GsrJake
The X isn't for you
i'd say only he can decide that once he had it for a while.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Alien Visitor
But if you're dead set on the Evo and only care about about having fun and not being competitive in autox, sure, go for it.
Yea man it's all about the fun. Settled on the X/BRZ because they are the only 2 cars that are ~$30k, fun, drivers cars, & that I genuinely like.

Originally Posted by Serbj

However, if you want to track a car, an all-wheel-drive turbo car that laps Nurburgring at 7:57 may be too ferocious for you to handle and too expensive to fix if something breaks. A naturally aspirated rear-wheel-drive car (Miata, S2000, 350Z, 370Z, or FR-S/BRZ as you mentioned) should be a better choice. You can tell that you are becoming a better driver everyday by tracking those.
I've been through a rigorous break down of what is out there, Miata's & S2K's are too small and uncomfortable for me. I'm sort of a big guy. I think the Z cars are extremely ugly, not to mention they are too big & heavy to only have 2 seats. The FR-S/BRZ twins look promising though, I have to test drive one.

Originally Posted by Thomar
yea man, look at what your payments are gonna be, look at what the insurance is going to cost, factor in about 300 bucks a fuel a month, and if u can pay for it all go for it! worst thing that can happen is the bank will take it back LoL!
Did a quick online quote @ Esurance right now & they quoted me $241/month for both cars, full coverage $250/$500. Geico right now is charging me $139 a month for just the Accord! Time to switch it up haha

Originally Posted by GsrJake
The X isn't for you
Honestly not even sure if you're serious.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

This could be a 10 page thread with a bunch of opinions but really only you will know if its right for you every person is different go to different dealerships and test drive a bunch Ever date a high maintenance women?? Because that's how this car will wanna be treated $$$$$$$$

Last edited by Jerm6908; Apr 2, 2013 at 07:20 PM.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My rule of thumb for buying a car. Make sure your salary can pay off the car in 1 year while having an extra $5000. If you can do that, go for it, especially if you live at home and don't pay rent.
Old Apr 2, 2013, 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by Jerm6908
This could be a 10 page thread with a bunch of opinions but really only you will know if its right for you every person is different go to different dealerships and test drive a bunch Ever date a high maintenance women?? Because that's how this car will wanna be treated $$$$$$$$
I hear ya buddy. Just wanted to make sure didn't water down the X. I knew the IX's and under were always quirky,fun, minimalist cars but I thought they were horrifyingly ugly. The X on the other hand is IMO, drop dead gorgeous but wouldn't be worth it if the driving experience changed. I was looking into a CPO BMW 335i and I was disappointed to find out that even with the m-sport suspension package, twin turbos and all that readily available torque it was too refined, luxurious, & boring for me. Plus the shoddy fuel system of the N54 engine eventually scared me away.

Originally Posted by SpardaVR4
My rule of thumb for buying a car. Make sure your salary can pay off the car in 1 year while having an extra $5000. If you can do that, go for it, especially if you live at home and don't pay rent.
Does apply. Well, almost. . Due to graduate soon so I'll be better off, even though I'm going to be tacking on a house payment when I start my career. Just want to get myself something nice for my birthday & even with my 2 ****ty dead end jobs it is easily affordable as long as I'm smart about other purchases. Thanks to my parents letting me be young & living with them for free until I graduate.

Last edited by Chefness; Apr 2, 2013 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Is an EVO X right for me?