Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I think I hear the whine of death...sort of?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2013, 11:56 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think I hear the whine of death...sort of?

I just noticed it recently...it's not constant, but every once in a while, when the conditions are right, I would hear this supercharger-ish whine. The only time I can hear it so far is when the transfer case is cold, and I make a left turn while accelerating, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and even then the whine isn't consistently there. The whine never comes back during otherwise normal driving. Should I be worried and start considering replacing the t-case?

Last edited by EndlessRed; Apr 14, 2013 at 12:02 AM.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by endGameXIII
I just noticed it recently...it's not constant, but every once in a while, when the conditions are right, I would hear this supercharger-ish whine. The only time I can hear it so far is when the transfer case is cold, and I make a left turn while accelerating, which doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me, and even then the whine isn't consistently there. The whine never comes back during otherwise normal driving. Should I be worried and start considering replacing the t-case?
I recently had my transfer case replaced 20,000miles on my X. It does definitely sound supercharger-ish. You could distinctively hear it as soon as you touched the throttle (not under hard acceleration, literally as soon as you touch throttle), through all the gears, however, you could hear it louder in lower gears. From what I have read, people drive for 10,000+ miles with the T-case going out. Since I was under warranty, I obviously replaced it straight away.

Sorry to hear yours is on its way out!
Old Apr 14, 2013, 12:24 PM
Evolving Member

I have heard the "superchargerish" whine since I bought the car with 4500mi. 25K now and it still whines and it hasnt failed me. I doubt very much that the whine has any sort of indication that the T-case is nearing the end of its life.
Old Apr 14, 2013, 06:10 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmxking45
I have heard the "superchargerish" whine since I bought the car with 4500mi. 25K now and it still whines and it hasnt failed me. I doubt very much that the whine has any sort of indication that the T-case is nearing the end of its life.
that's good to hear...my car is at 55k miles now. maybe it comes with the car, but the more miles i put on it, the more paranoid i am with the new noises it makes
Old Apr 14, 2013, 07:13 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
if it was failing you'd hear it all the time
Old Apr 14, 2013, 08:22 PM
Evolved Member

I hear a whine when I accelerate slowly in 1,2,maybe 3rd gear when the car is warmed up after a few pulls. Car has only 2200 km on it so I think it's normal drive train noise.

Posted from Evolutionm.net App for Android
Old Apr 15, 2013, 11:14 AM

It's more noticable to me in gears 2 & 4 - but it's always been there, I have 28k on the clock - no issues, failures, or anything of the like. I feel like it's straight cut gear noise.

Anyone can correct me if I'm way out of place by assuming this: All of the DSM transmissions I've built/had my hands on, when they are strengthened or when straight cut gears are used, it produce more noise. I know the X has a beefy drive train. I expect some noise would come from it.
Old Apr 15, 2013, 06:00 PM

I some time hear that supercharged whine and was thinking it was something wrong. the car has 42k on it