Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Need Feedback on aftermarket CMC, Yes another victim

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2013, 07:32 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Magnus Kit I purchased installed nicely.
There are a couple things you need to do that aren't on the install instructions. But overall it went on nicely and the clutch feels only a tad stiffer.
Old Jun 3, 2013, 03:42 AM

My cmc blew on the highway, thankfully I was in traffic and had enough speed to roll onto the shoulder. What's the install time generally run for a shop on this? My Evo was towed under warranty to the nearest mitsu dealer, which is unfortunately over 100miles from where I live.

Not trying to thread jack, just looking for input on # of hours since many are talking about the difficulty of the install.

Thanks

I'm hoping to be covered under warranty, but will have to wait til later today. We shall see =/
Old Jun 11, 2013, 07:21 PM

I'm about to buy a evo x that has already had to have the cmc replaced. It was done under warranty as I understand it but as under warranty just another faulty oem one was put in. I'm interested if this replacement is easy for someone that has limited tools. I'm also interested in estimate time for a shop to do this. I'm close to ams Chicago. Since they also make a replacement I'm very interested in doing this soon. I want to build the evo into the most reliable machine it can be.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by ThePrecisionIma
I'm about to buy a evo x that has already had to have the cmc replaced. It was done under warranty as I understand it but as under warranty just another faulty oem one was put in. I'm interested if this replacement is easy for someone that has limited tools. I'm also interested in estimate time for a shop to do this. I'm close to ams Chicago. Since they also make a replacement I'm very interested in doing this soon. I want to build the evo into the most reliable machine it can be.
If they know what they're doing, a shop will charge you at least 4, if not 6 hours for the work. It's fairly involved to install the replacement CMC Kit. It's not just a 1-for-1 replacement from stock, hence the "kit". If they don't know what they're doing, expect 8-10 hours of labor.

As for performing the replacement yourself with limited tools, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have another vehicle that can get you somewhere to buy / find any tools you might be missing.

Good Luck
Old Jun 12, 2013, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by nystc23
If they know what they're doing, a shop will charge you at least 4, if not 6 hours for the work. It's fairly involved to install the replacement CMC Kit. It's not just a 1-for-1 replacement from stock, hence the "kit". If they don't know what they're doing, expect 8-10 hours of labor.

As for performing the replacement yourself with limited tools, I wouldn't recommend it unless you have another vehicle that can get you somewhere to buy / find any tools you might be missing.

Good Luck

Thanks for the info. I do have a beater DD right now, (dying trans and clutch) which is one of the main reasons i'm trying to get the evo... so as long as it holds out I can drive that to the local harbor freight for tools I dont have.

Can anyone confirm that the posted video is the correct and proper steps? I may just give ams a call and see what they'd quote for the work, they're not far away from me...
Old Jun 12, 2013, 08:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
I assume your car is a 2008? When was the replacement performed? Mitsubishi has improved the strength of the plastic CMC over the years and you hear of very few 2010+ failures. The dealership would have replaced the broken one with the most up-to-date revision available.
Old Jun 12, 2013, 07:09 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not a job for someone who is not familiar with working on cars. Fortunately my friend's shop did mine and barely charged me.
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:30 PM

I just got a quote for parts and labor to replace it...... 1400$ eek!
Old Jun 13, 2013, 12:39 PM
Evolved Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Wow, that sounds beyond absurd; that would basically double the cost of a clutch job.
Old Jun 15, 2013, 12:32 PM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Holy crap. I paid $1000 for my CMC and clutch install together.

Oh, just saw the "parts" part. Well, that's still a lot of money.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 05:17 AM

my generation of Civic Si has a terrible CMC from the factory too....sad to see this is the case on the X.
Old Jun 17, 2013, 11:42 AM

go somewhere else. they are either over-charging you for labor, or over-charging for the part (or both) .. stock part is like $2-300 (I can't remember), the upgraded part I bought from MAPerformance was around $290 .. labor @ 2 hours for stock part, or @5-6 hours for aftermarket part at an intelligent shop .. you can do the math on the rest..

Last edited by nystc23; Jun 25, 2013 at 04:02 AM.
Old Jun 24, 2013, 08:06 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
bad bump
Old Jul 7, 2013, 09:48 AM

Another failure

My CMC went out last Saturday. I bought MAPerformance's CMC and asked the dealership to install which they said they will. But they tripled the labor price after the part came due to it being a kit vice a bolt on replacement so I'm having my X towed to a local shop in town. From what I remember the directions were straight forward but just tedious.
Old Jul 7, 2013, 10:12 AM
Evolved Member

M
a
g
n
u
s

Quick Reply: Need Feedback on aftermarket CMC, Yes another victim