Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Anyone else feel an improvement when they change their oil?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Anyone else feel an improvement when they change their oil?

I've found that they closer to my oil change, the noisier my valve train gets. After it's changed the car feels like it runs smoother.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 12:14 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I notice that also but when i still let it idle down for a min it still sounds like a dang washer machine
Old Apr 19, 2013, 02:50 PM

i actually just noticed that also, since i am due for a oil change very soon
Old Apr 19, 2013, 04:25 PM
Evolved Member

It is all psychological, but having fresh oil and washing and waxing your car makes it feel like it is running better. It is part of the Zen of owning an Evo.
Old Apr 19, 2013, 08:00 PM

I love my car and it loves me back
Old Apr 19, 2013, 11:34 PM

The placebo effect is cool.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:31 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
nah its not a placebo effect. Even in my other cars, i've noticed the car ran SLIGHTLY better when i changed the oil. Like 1 better mpg and the car would accelerate better during daily driving. I notice these things because i racecar.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 03:31 PM

I think it has to do with the oil breaking down and then fresh oil lubricating better.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:12 PM
Evolved Member

I've not really noticed it so much on my Evo, but I know when I had my Lancer ES there was a HUGE difference after I changed the oil. But again, it is probably just mental.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 08:56 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by mrxboosted
I think it has to do with the oil breaking down and then fresh oil lubricating better.
I honestly don't think that the motor oil breaks down at 3500 miles. Especially with today's oils. We change them that soon because the powers that be tell us to, but I would imagine if it was tested it would be close to new.

It is 10000000% placebo.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:02 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
I honestly don't think that the motor oil breaks down at 3500 miles. Especially with today's oils. We change them that soon because the powers that be tell us to, but I would imagine if it was tested it would be close to new.

It is 10000000% placebo.
You forget our turbos are oil cooled too. Turbo'd cars tend to cook oil WAY faster than N/A cars. Case in point, I know someone who ran their N/A car for 10000 miles on Motul before changing it and the oil came out pretty much the same color as when he put it in. 3000 miles after I changed with Motul? That **** is BLACK
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:13 AM

No, it is in fact true. Oil is not a permanent fix to motor lubrication, as heat conducts through oil, over time it looses viscosity, hences the sound of noisy valve train. Oil loosens in a sense and becomes weaker. These are not only found in all over the internet, but it is also DYNO proven!

Placebo effect SMH lol

-Tony

Oh and for reference, incase no one believes me!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/
Old Apr 22, 2013, 09:45 AM
Evolved Member

I think there was a post I read about a year ago where a guy sent his oil out to be tested at like 10k miles and it was still good. I understand the turbo cools using the oil. But for a daily driver driven under normal conditions I think it can last more than 3500 miles. I still chang it at around there but I think the oils are good these days. I could be wrong. Maybe one day when I have extra cash ill take a sample and send it to one of those testing places.

I dunno how you can here the valves clicking over the injectors. Lol
Old Apr 22, 2013, 10:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
This is true on my 97 Saturn. Drive-train gets noisy is when I know to change the oil. It's no placebo when the noise just go away with fresh dino juice. I don't see/hear it on my Evo though.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by anthony s
No, it is in fact true. Oil is not a permanent fix to motor lubrication, as heat conducts through oil, over time it looses viscosity, hences the sound of noisy valve train. Oil loosens in a sense and becomes weaker. These are not only found in all over the internet, but it is also DYNO proven!

Placebo effect SMH lol

-Tony

Oh and for reference, incase no one believes me!

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/

Read that over again and let this be the end of the thread.

You notice a difference because the wear changes the viscosity of the oil. Thus, slightly more sluggish feel to acceleration, and slightly louder valve train noise.

Compare it to a professional athlete and his diet. If he cheats his diet and eats fast food for 1 meal, his next workout will suffer. Yeah, it was just a fkn big mac, but a professional athlete is very aware of his finely tuned body, and he will notice even the littlest of things throwing it off. Basically what i'm trying to say, is if you think this oil effect is a placebo, you are not, nor are you capable of being a racecar driver.

Quick Reply: Anyone else feel an improvement when they change their oil?