Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What is this on my car??

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2013, 09:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
What is this on my car??

I just purchased a 2010 Octane Blue SE model w/ 20k mi from Springfield Imports in Missouri. Whoever had it before me threw a few mods on it, and i'm still trying to figure out exactly what was done. Perhaps you guys can help??

Not sure what this is. Part of the alarm system?? OBD hookup?

At the bottom of the exhaust mani heatshield there is a mounting point that is flapping around in the air. What reason would someone have to remove this & not put it back? Do i have an aftermarket downpipe???

This is a shot of the last part of the downpipe. Note the terrible weld on the Cat.

Not exactly sure whats going on here. Another terrible weld job on what i'm assuming is a cat.

This is the resonator i'm guessing. More terrible welding.

The last part of the exhaust is exactly like the rear section of the ETS extreme. No modifications to the rear section evident aside from adding exhaust hangers.

your thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails What is this on my car??-imag0483.jpg   What is this on my car??-imag0484.jpg   What is this on my car??-imag0487.jpg   What is this on my car??-imag0485.jpg   What is this on my car??-imag0486.jpg  

Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
maybe a map switch? or something to do with an aftermarket alarm?

exhaust is modified. The flange on the cat section should be closer to the actual cat...almost flush. Looks like they chopped the stock cat off and welded it onto some bigger piping. The downpipe looks aftermarket as well. I do believe stock X downpipes have heat shielding just like the IX's.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 11:09 AM
Evolving Member

Yeah I believe the exhaust is full straight pipe, they modified it to hide the no cat.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:06 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by SaulHudson
Yeah I believe the exhaust is full straight pipe, they modified it to hide the no cat.
so your saying they took the ETS Extreme exhaust, chopped it up to add the stock cat & some random resonator? Or is that an aftermarket 'hi flow' cat??
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:09 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by bdonIX
maybe a map switch? or something to do with an aftermarket alarm?

exhaust is modified. The flange on the cat section should be closer to the actual cat...almost flush. Looks like they chopped the stock cat off and welded it onto some bigger piping. The downpipe looks aftermarket as well. I do believe stock X downpipes have heat shielding just like the IX's.
i don't know what IX exhaust heat shields look like nor do i know what an X is supposed to look like. Are you saying my stock downpipe heat shield is not there because i have an aftermarket downpipe?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:31 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
are you missing the carpet too? I see only cardboard as carpet.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 01:50 PM
Evolved Member

lol i don't know why it came out that color in the picture, but thats the normal carpet. It's actually a grey color. Maybe its just my camera phone making it look like cardboard
Old Apr 21, 2013, 02:21 PM

The first pic looks like aftermarket alarm for sure
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm not sure about this, this was my only concern with buying a used car, I would have had them revert it to stock before purchasing it brother.
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:20 PM
Evolving Member

that green button looks like a turbo boost button, lol, just playing, maybe a valet switch for the aftermarket alarm, maybe press it and see what happens or trace the wire and do some investigating
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:56 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
panic button?
Old Apr 21, 2013, 07:57 PM
Evolving Member

See where the wiring goes for that button. Looks like they bought the extreme and it was to loud or they had to pass restrictions and added the cat. You possibly have an aftermarket downpipe too.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 03:21 AM

Originally Posted by hispanicpanic
i don't know what IX exhaust heat shields look like nor do i know what an X is supposed to look like. Are you saying my stock downpipe heat shield is not there because i have an aftermarket downpipe?
Stock downpipes have thin sheet metal heat shields that are directly attached to them so when you remove the downpipe, the heat shielding comes with it.
Old Apr 22, 2013, 08:23 AM

there is definitely an aftermarket downpipe there
Old Apr 22, 2013, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Damnit..... so that means my car isn't under warranty doesn't it...... The car salesman said it was still under warranty and i specifically asked him to check the modifications to be sure it was in fact still in warranty.....

I pressed the button while the car was on today. Didn't notice a thing. Not even a change in idle. I'll try it again in a little with the car off.

Side note, how can i tell if i have a stock intercooler? are there any specific markings i should look for?

Quick Reply: What is this on my car??