Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 10, 2013, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kendogg
If your Ralliart is stock then call up Mitsu corporate at 1-888-MITSU2013. Open up a case for warranty repair and make sure you tell them about that dealership you are going through.

A dealership denied my warranty on my Eclipse. I called up corporate and it was approved less then 24 hours later (A $4000 new top).

If however your car is modded in anyway, it's just part of modding territory. Yes I believe the pumps failing overall have little to do with mods and more to do with snow and corrosion, but it is pretty much known and understood that if you mod your car you risk loosing your warranty.
I did not mod my car until after my "awd service required" came on very small mods though, fortunately the dealer i go to is very mod friendly so they will just tell me to put everything to stock. Unfortunately when i bought my car it was some billionaire's winter car so they did tell me that was the reason behind it failing. I will make sure i report it since i just found out what was actually wrong
Old Sep 10, 2013, 04:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by julix
I did not mod my car until after my "awd service required" came on very small mods though, fortunately the dealer i go to is very mod friendly so they will just tell me to put everything to stock. Unfortunately when i bought my car it was some billionaire's winter car so they did tell me that was the reason behind it failing. I will make sure i report it since i just found out what was actually wrong

It doesn't matter how "mod friendly" your dealer is. The dealer that we go to is somewhat "mod friendly", but it is not up to the dealer. The regional rep for Mitsubishi decides these things. Take a look at this bulletin to see what Mitsubishi is looking for They will not honor warranty claims if any of these points has been violated.

Old Sep 10, 2013, 05:43 AM
Evolved Member

Interesting. So unless you have proof of oil changes, they can deny you warranty repair even if your car is stock? Atleast that's how it seems when it refer's to maintenance records.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 06:18 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What Mitsu says to its dealers is Mitsu's business, but not even close to binding with regard to the rights, etc, of the car-owner. The MMWA puts the onus on the side denying warranty service, not on the car owner. With that said, keeping records of when such things as oil-changes occurred is a wise move, regardless of what kind of car you drive.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:04 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
What Mitsu says to its dealers is Mitsu's business, but not even close to binding with regard to the rights, etc, of the car-owner. The MMWA puts the onus on the side denying warranty service, not on the car owner. With that said, keeping records of when such things as oil-changes occurred is a wise move, regardless of what kind of car you drive.
Neither dealerships I had to take my Eclipse to asked for any maintenance records. Even Mitsu corporate never asked for records either, and my repair was pretty pricey. I wonder if this is just an Evo thing? Wonder if they ask for maintenance records on an Outlander Sport?
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:18 AM
Evolved Member

There are several things that Mitsu is ordering dealers to do which are unique to Evos. The biggest is telling them to check the engine ECU for reflashes, regardless of why the car was brought in.

I have never been asked to show service records on any of my cars, even though I have never used dealers for things like oil-changes. However, I've never sued or taken a car-maker to arbitration, so take it with a grain of salt.

My point was that internal Mitsu memos cannot be used by Mitsu to weasel out of warranty service. All that matter are the applicable laws and the actual wording of the warranty.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 10:55 AM
Evolving Member

The regional reps make the decisions. Most of them have been fairly good with common sense and this is probably why this is the first time I've heard of a claim for a pump being denied like this. Dealerships will negotiate with the rep for you and I've known them to be somewhat flexible in warranty issues. For me, my dealership negotiated with regional to agree to less frequent oil changes for my car as its stored in winter and I have very low kms...for those of us in the north we are required to be under the extreme maintenance schedule and I'm not, thankfully, and yes its written on my record as such.

If I was a betting person I'd say the area there got a new rep with no common sense or the dealership didn't fight hard enough with them and just did what was told regardless how sympathetic they were. The decision Imo was unjust and should be fought.

Last edited by coryl; Sep 10, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old Sep 10, 2013, 07:21 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
Originally Posted by Kendogg
Interesting. So unless you have proof of oil changes, they can deny you warranty repair even if your car is stock? Atleast that's how it seems when it refer's to maintenance records.
That is pretty common in EU, but i never been asked in the states.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:09 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
No offense, but I think your comments are quite silly. If it can be established in a suit that the AYC pumps are failing due to severe corrosion, then it is a moot point whether the car has been tuned or not. And, you live in Texas, not Minnesota, so the fact that your Evos have not had any issues only corroborates what everyone in the north is saying that the pumps are failing because of corrosion, which is exacerbated by road salt. Comparing Texas roads with Minnesota roads is ludicrous at best.
I understand what you are saying but for a class action lawsuit you would have to do a little homework.

First establish how many and what is the percentage of completely stock Evo X's that has had AYC failures.
Seek a lawyer and talk to him about picking up the case.
Petition and find out how many people would join the suit, which at that point the lawyer will then decide whether or not to pick up the case.

I'm not saying there isn't a issue with the pumps up north. I'm just suggesting that you would just be better off getting a third party mediator between you and Mitsubishi. Modded ECU with a upgraded BCS means more power and strain on all powertrain equipment. That's enough for any automaker to deny work. Again GL with what you decide.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:53 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
That is pretty common in EU, but i never been asked in the states.
Because it's the opposite here. Here, post-MMWA, the warrantor must prove that you didn't in order to deny, rather than the owner needing to prove that he or she did, in order to get warranty work. The last thing that a warrantor wants is to be handed proof that the car was maintained; once they've been handed such, it's harder for them to weasel out. They will only ask if they are quite sure that you don't have documentation. Then the owner looks bad.

This is why you never, ever, tell a dealer that you do your own work but don't keep good records. That might be the truth, but it's not something to tell them.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:58 AM

Would anyone be willing to share what dealership had fixed the ACD under powertrain warranty? I am asking because I take my car to the dealership tomorrow to get it checked out and incase they deny warranty coverage under the powertrain warranty I would like to have something to go back at them with.
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Spazpilot
I understand what you are saying but for a class action lawsuit you would have to do a little homework.
Class-action lawsuits are a great way for lawyers to make a pile of money and/or (maybe) to punish the company being sued. They are pretty much the worst way, as an individual consumer, to get something from a company you think did you wrong.

Yeah, I know that some of my slimey lawyer friends will deny the above and claim that the class-action lawsuit is the sliced bread of keeping companies honest, but they only say this because they are slimey lawyers. The one class-action I agreed to be part of got me $7.21 (when I was out more than $100), because that's how little was left after the slimey lawyers got their cut off the top.

ps. I am not only not a lawyer, even if some of my slimey friends are, but the word "slimey" in this post is being used to refer to brilliant, altruistic folks who only care about the little guy and would do it all, I'm sure, even if they weren't paid
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Class-action lawsuits are a great way for lawyers to make a pile of money and/or (maybe) to punish the company being sued. They are pretty much the worst way, as an individual consumer, to get something from a company you think did you wrong.

Yeah, I know that some of my slimey lawyer friends will deny the above and claim that the class-action lawsuit is the sliced bread of keeping companies honest, but they only say this because they are slimey lawyers. The one class-action I agreed to be part of got me $7.21 (when I was out more than $100), because that's how little was left after the slimey lawyers got their cut off the top.

ps. I am not only not a lawyer, even if some of my slimey friends are, but the word "slimey" in this post is being used to refer to brilliant, altruistic folks who only care about the little guy and would do it all, I'm sure, even if they weren't paid
I so agree with you! Lawyer gets all and the consumer still gets screwed!
Old Sep 11, 2013, 11:21 AM
Evolving Member

anyone

anyone that has a problem with the pump not truing on try replacing the 60 amp fuse on the positive battery terminal my pump wasn't getting power and it ended up being the blown fuse preventing it from getting power
Old Sep 11, 2013, 12:24 PM
Evolved Member

That's a good point, but be careful. Yes, a working pump can draw so much as to blow the fuse, especially when asked to pump cold fluid, such as during the dead of winter. But if you blow two fuses in a row, stop replacing them, because the pump might be stuck, due to corrosion, and replacing the fuse is just asking to melt a wire in the motor.

Folks like Matt at ACD or Blaze at PPD Motorsports can rebuild your pump if it's corroded, using the repair kit that anyone can now get. But motors are another issue. I have yet to see a motor for sale separate from a new pump. So you really don't want to kill the motor.

This is why I now suggest to people with a dead pump to cut the power to it if they aren't planning to remove and/or fix it any time soon. Yank the power via the fuse on the battery terminal or yank the relay on the firewall. Or climb under the rear corner and pull the harness. Whatever. Just don't cook your motor, too.

Quick Reply: For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)