Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:56 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by EVOXTIMES
blah blah blah ... It was working and I don't need a new pump. Win for me

So do me a favor don't tell me a reflash can't fix a dead pump.....cause it did.
1) the idea that a change in software can eradicate (even temporarily) corrosion is one that I'm not ready to entertain seriously; YMMV

2) you omitted any evidence that the reflash made the pump work; that it stopped you from seeing warnings is not the same thing
Old Sep 18, 2013, 12:10 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
1) the idea that a change in software can eradicate (even temporarily) corrosion is one that I'm not ready to entertain seriously; YMMV

2) you omitted any evidence that the reflash made the pump work; that it stopped you from seeing warnings is not the same thing
This. And just to add, I also had the same thing happen to my car back in May. What your describing is a C161 F code. I believe this code comes up when your pump works after driving a few miles and then malfunctions.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At no point did I say that a reflash would stop corrosion from occurring. Like I said, the reason my pump failure is unknown, with that being said I can only give you the facts of my singular case. Until I pull the pump and look for myself I won't really know. That won't happen until it fails again. If its due to corrosion I'm sure it will. If for another reason.. Maybe it's fixed

What I know right now

1. Pump failure
2. Reflashed beginning of July
3. Problem fixed until present
A. Problem was a code for pump failure. Code gone. Although maybe temporarily, but that remains to be seen.
4. Being able to toggle between Tarmac gravel and snow should be evidence enough that the pump was working properly.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Mike Bones
This. And just to add, I also had the same thing happen to my car back in May. What your describing is a C161 F code. I believe this code comes up when your pump works after driving a few miles and then malfunctions.
I'm not sure if that was the code or not...... Honestly don't remember. What do remember is that it specifically said NOT a malfunction code. Since the reflash I had driven easily a couple thousand miles with no malfunctions and no other codes
Old Sep 18, 2013, 06:05 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Talaryn
Funny, I went in for an ACD code, they reflashed the ACD pump software. Code went way, but like you, I started noticing the flashing would come on occasionally. A month later my pump was totally dead (it's not fixed, sorry my friend).
I misspoke when I said "fix a dead pump" what I should've said was that it solved the issue with the reoccurring pump failure code. My problem was fixed. Permanently? Who knows... As I mentioned earlier if its corrosion then the problem will probably reoccur. If it was something else then who knows. Maybe just maybe a reflash fixed my problem. Will a reflash fix a physically dead pump? No.....will a reflash fix a premature pump failure code.....yes

It's probable that my pump has some corrosion but not to the point of total failure. Before the reflash the pump was probably overheating the solenoids causing the code. I suspect the reflash cycles the solenoid on and off to stop them from overheating. Hence the blinking. If your pump is too far gone due to corrosion the reflash will not help. But if you have minor corrosion the reflash will delay the eventual pump failure by keeping the solenoids from overheating. I suspect this is way for Mitsubishi to get more cars out of warranty so that by the time the pump fails for good they won't have to fix it.

Just a theory
Old Sep 18, 2013, 10:18 PM
Evolving Member

I misspoke when I said "fix a dead pump" what I should've said was that it solved the issue with the reoccurring pump failure code. My problem was fixed. Permanently? Who knows... As I mentioned earlier if its corrosion then the problem will probably reoccur. If it was something else then who knows. Maybe just maybe a reflash fixed my problem. Will a reflash fix a physically dead pump? No.....will a reflash fix a premature pump failure code.....yes

It's probable that my pump has some corrosion but not to the point of total failure. Before the reflash the pump was probably overheating the solenoids causing the code. I suspect the reflash cycles the solenoid on and off to stop them from overheating. Hence the blinking. If your pump is too far gone due to corrosion the reflash will not help. But if you have minor corrosion the reflash will delay the eventual pump failure by keeping the solenoids from overheating. I suspect this is way for Mitsubishi to get more cars out of warranty so that by the time the pump fails for good they won't have to fix it.

Just a theory
Funny you mention a reflash theory, because there's lots of incorrect information out there so it's a good possibility or at least it sounds plausible to me. I had this question on what exactly the reflash did because I've heard two previous theories and now your's is the third so maybe we need the entire answer before we decide what it does exactly? Before I heard your theory I had actually already sent a message to a friend of mine who will be able to give me the exact answer to this question...just waiting his reply. I'll keep you posted.
Old Sep 18, 2013, 11:26 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coryl
Funny you mention a reflash theory, because there's lots of incorrect information out there so it's a good possibility or at least it sounds plausible to me. I had this question on what exactly the reflash did because I've heard two previous theories and now your's is the third so maybe we need the entire answer before we decide what it does exactly? Before I heard your theory I had actually already sent a message to a friend of mine who will be able to give me the exact answer to this question...just waiting his reply. I'll keep you posted.
That sounds good. How credible is this source?
Old Sep 19, 2013, 01:40 AM
Evolved Member

I'm at around 72k miles.. I daily drive my Evo, even in the Michigan salty winters. I get an underbody wash weekly when they salt the roads. Knock on wood, mine is still holding up. It is however making a little louder whining noise than usual in my first few turns I make when the car is still warming up. No codes thrown and it still appears to be working. I now have a truck to drive in the snow, so I will be causing less wear and tear on the pump.

Last edited by wiretap; Sep 19, 2013 at 01:48 AM.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 09:38 AM
Evolving Member

That sounds good. How credible is this source?
Very credible.

I just received an answer but it doesn't give the answer or at least not yet.

The reflash has come out of Japan (obviously this means they know of the issue) and is just given to the dealerships who are then told to reflash any car that has the codes. No one has thought farther than that on how it works exactly other than it removes the codes and of course that's temporarily if the pump is highly corroded and damaged as they are all in this neck of the woods. I mentioned your situation, and he said that it's a possibility that the reflash has done something but not sure what and now he's interested in finding out what it does exactly. Apparently the next meeting isn't taking place for a few weeks, but he's going to try to find out exactly what the reflash does to the ecu and pump at that meeting. I'll let you know.

Last edited by coryl; Sep 19, 2013 at 01:42 PM.
Old Sep 19, 2013, 07:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coryl
Very credible.

I just received an answer but it doesn't give the answer or at least not yet.

The reflash has come out of Japan (obviously this means they know of the issue) and is just given to the dealerships who are then told to reflash any car that has the codes. No one has thought farther than that on how it works exactly other than it removes the codes and of course that's temporarily if the pump is highly corroded and damaged as they are all in this neck of the woods. I mentioned your situation, and he said that it's a possibility that the reflash has done something but not sure what and now he's interested in finding out what it does exactly. Apparently the next meeting isn't taking place for a few weeks, but he's going to try to find out exactly what the reflash does to the ecu and pump at that meeting. I'll let you know.

Awesome!
Old Sep 20, 2013, 06:27 AM
Evolved Member

Are we talking about the cold-start reflash (SC-09-002) or something else?
Old Sep 20, 2013, 04:06 PM
Evolving Member

Are we talking about the cold-start reflash (SC-09-002) or something else?
Yes, it's the only reflash Mitsubishi does for this issue.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 06:36 PM
Evolved Member

Then I find the idea that they would apply this "fix" to a car that shows up with codes in, say, August (in the northern hemisphere), to be hilarious. Typical of Mitsu, but hilarious none-the-less.
Old Sep 20, 2013, 06:58 PM
Evolved Member

My son's 2011Evo X is finally out of the shop and back on the road again. Pump+ACD kit+labor was about $2400. Pump was sealed up with the ACD kit along with the stainless steel plate as well as treated with anti corrosion paint. We will be getting a cover from Japan that is supposed to help protect the pump. Hopefully, this will be a permanent fix. Now that Mitsubishi voided the powertrain warranty, at least we know that the failure was due to the "tune". Funny, but looking at the pump and solenoids, one would think that salt corrosion caused the failure. But, what do we know? Silly us...
Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:32 PM
Evolving Member

Then I find the idea that they would apply this "fix" to a car that shows up with codes in, say, August (in the northern hemisphere), to be hilarious. Typical of Mitsu, but hilarious none-the-less.
Very well could be a stall tactic...just like when Japan apparently refused to send dealerships pumps when all of a sudden everyone's started failing due too placement and it was costing money so people went a long time without replacement. They apparently claimed they needed time to figure out the problem with the pumps. Then out comes the reflash protocol. Anyways, I want to know exactly all the aspects of this relash.

Quick Reply: For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)