Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2013, 10:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SamsonEvoX
My son's 2011Evo X is finally out of the shop and back on the road again. Pump+ACD kit+labor was about $2400. Pump was sealed up with the ACD kit along with the stainless steel plate as well as treated with anti corrosion paint. We will be getting a cover from Japan that is supposed to help protect the pump. Hopefully, this will be a permanent fix. Now that Mitsubishi voided the powertrain warranty, at least we know that the failure was due to the "tune". Funny, but looking at the pump and solenoids, one would think that salt corrosion caused the failure. But, what do we know? Silly us...
Yep, those damn tunes cause the total corrosion of these pumps and I'm shocked you hadn't heard about that.

I've heard that the covers coming out of Japan and Europe don't perfectly fit our North American cars correctly unless you intend to improvise somewhat. I'd be interested in seeing the fit pics or hearing from you about the install. Keep us posted and I hope this fixes your pump issue because we're all in the same boat or should I say Mitsubishi car.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 12:28 AM

At 50k miles now and the pump went out sadly.
Old Sep 21, 2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by jjgriffin
This. Go to bat with your service manager, then have him go to bat with the district rep. Call Corporate and yell at them. Threaten to lawyer up, tell them you're filing a claim with the NHSTA.

Doing all this, I just got Mitsu to cover my dead pump under my Drivetrain Warranty today so it IS possible. Do not take no for an answer.
Update: Got my ACD pump replaced today, as the dealership agreed to a few months ago. This is at almost 48,000 miles on a modded '08, so well outside of the Drivetrain Warranty at this point, so they called it "good will".

I just want to stress again to everyone, DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER. It seems like Mitsu is beginning to grasp that building a loyal customer base is the only way they are going to survive in NA (since there's nothing exciting in their entire line-up to attract new customers, except the Evo) so they are beginning to be a bit more flexible about retaining loyalty by doing their customers a favor. Naturally YMMV, but I would keep ******* them and be sure to arbitration.

On a related note, any tips for keeping this new one protected aside from a plate or total relocation? Like, in terms of what sort of sealants I could spray it with, etc? Someone here mentioned plastidip but the techs at the Stealership advised against that, since they felt that could lead to overheating and solenoid burn-out. There must be something better I can coat it with than just WD-40 though...? LOL
Old Sep 21, 2013, 07:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 144 Likes on 128 Posts
I was at Home Depot today and saw the "Never Wet" coating material now being advertised on TV is on the main aisle - about $25 for the kit. Is this something that could be used to protect the acd pump?
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:07 AM
Evolving Member

Update: Got my ACD pump replaced today, as the dealership agreed to a few months ago. This is at almost 48,000 miles on a modded '08, so well outside of the Drivetrain Warranty at this point, so they called it "good will".

I just want to stress again to everyone, DO NOT TAKE NO FOR AN ANSWER. It seems like Mitsu is beginning to grasp that building a loyal customer base is the only way they are going to survive in NA (since there's nothing exciting in their entire line-up to attract new customers, except the Evo) so they are beginning to be a bit more flexible about retaining loyalty by doing their customers a favor. Naturally YMMV, but I would keep ******* them and be sure to arbitration.

On a related note, any tips for keeping this new one protected aside from a plate or total relocation? Like, in terms of what sort of sealants I could spray it with, etc? Someone here mentioned plastidip but the techs at the Stealership advised against that, since they felt that could lead to overheating and solenoid burn-out. There must be something better I can coat it with than just WD-40 though...? LOL
Absolutely, don't take no for an answer. The reps often do "good will" to good customers.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
I was at Home Depot today and saw the "Never Wet" coating material now being advertised on TV is on the main aisle - about $25 for the kit. Is this something that could be used to protect the acd pump?
A friend of mine brought this to my attention a few weeks ago because he knew I was looking at preserving the pumps by relocation so I looked into it. Not sure what I think at this point I need more information. The manual says it's not to be used on electronics, yet demos show it being used on electronics. And I don't see any demos on items that heat up which could be a problem just like using Plastidip on the pumps. If you try it make sure you mask up and wear gloves as it apparently causes birth defects and cancer.
I've sent a mail to the company to ask about our specific pump issue.

Last edited by coryl; Sep 22, 2013 at 08:09 AM.
Old Sep 22, 2013, 12:13 PM
Evolved Member

Received 288 Likes on 219 Posts

Clean the pump, then use silicone sealant around the motor to body joint and around the joint between two halves of the pump body.

Spray the base of the solenoids with WD40, then apply really heavy grease between the solenoid and the pump body.. I usually use outboard engine grease.
apply grease around the bolt heads too..
Old Sep 22, 2013, 09:46 PM
Evolving Member

Checked into the 'Never wet' further and it doesn't look like it's going to work for us it's too bad. Reviews have it flaking off within a short period of time with even water actually breaking it down over time. The manufacturer also says not to use detergents as that also breaks it down so we wouldn't be able to go to a car wash. The product breaks down with UV rays, and I can't even imagine with our extreme climate and the motor's heat also may break down the product even sooner. Not worth the effort to apply this IMO. Still waiting for the response from the company but I think I've already made my decision on this one.
Old Sep 24, 2013, 01:14 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by barneyb
I just got a message from Mark Roberts, technical support team leader at Rust-Oleum about the NeverWet, and it's as I thought after reading numerous reviews on the product. Mark said the NeverWet would not hold up under this application and that the salt would destroy the NeverWet coating.

Damn salt destroys everything including our pumps!
Old Sep 24, 2013, 08:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I apologize, because I started it, but I just cleaned the thread of the OT stuff.
Old Sep 25, 2013, 10:17 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I apologize, because I started it, but I just cleaned the thread of the OT stuff.
You mean sanitized it! Lol
We were just taking our ACD frustrations and having a little therapy session, it's all good. We were probably a bit off topic so I guess we're back on topic.

I've just written up a group buy message for Autotorque's relocation kit, but I'll post it in the general section for Ralliart and Evo owners so both can join in.
I'm just waiting to hear back from Chris at Autotorque on group price and possible shipping charges with kit and mounting frame to us in Canada and the U.S, before posting it.

Last edited by coryl; Sep 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:24 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone mentioned this problem to mitsubishi or the dealer before buying a X? I'm wanting to buy a X but I don't want to save 2k or fight with the dealer to cover cost. F this, makes me not want a X.
Old Sep 26, 2013, 09:25 AM
Evolving Member

Has anyone mentioned this problem to mitsubishi or the dealer before buying a X? I'm wanting to buy a X but I don't want to save 2k or fight with the dealer to cover cost. F this, makes me not want a X.
Old Sep 28, 2013, 03:18 PM
Evolving Member

No, corporate Mitsubishi has never heard of this problem, just ask them and they'll tell you that.

Unfortunately the failure of these pumps will require a repair or replacement to all of us who live in areas with extreme temperature changes and salted roads...there is no "if" here, and it's just a matter of when. I have to shake my head a bit when people spend their last cent on a performance car and then go into debt modifying it and can't afford the cost of anything else afterwards. There is a cost of ownership for performance cars and the Evo is a performance car and it's the best bang for the buck out there. If you own a Lambo or Ferrari and live in California you can drive it 24/7, but don't try that here in the North unless you have lots of money for repairs. The Evo wasn't meant to be driven on our northern salted roads either, so if we do, then we better be prepared to spend money on repairs, replacement parts or at minimum protection. Do not buy this car if you can't afford it and don't have 2 grand and more for a pump or for other future repairs and especially if you're going to drive it in winter.

And really, I'm not bashing anyone or trying to dissuade anyone who wants one of these amazing cars, and they are truly amazing and so much fun. I'm in the same boat as everyone else and wish Mitsubishi had of located the pump to the trunk although I do 'get it' that having a working motorized pump in the trunk might not be a big selling feature other than to us in the North or for those who want to track their car. We were obviously not a big focus or even a thought.

And I don't like the fact that here in Canada it will cost me $4,000 for a pump at some point and that's if we can even get them for that price in the future. On a previous older car I had the Chrysler dealership quoting me for a front flex pipe at $900 because they could. I got one made for $300, but just try to make a future ACD/AYC pump. The only way to protect this pump almost 100% is to relocate and keep it protected. One guy asked a question about what his first mod on his Evo X should be and I told him protecting the car...mud flaps, paint protection/rust protection, Weathertech mats, clear bra, etc, and now I'll go back to add protecting the pump.

On that note, I got a message from Chris at Autotorque and the prototype to relocate the pump to the trunk on the X (and therefore Ralliarts) is ready and they are just going to install and test the first kit next week so this will be the first ready made relocation kit for our cars. Chris estimates the kits with mounting frame will be approximately $300 pounds so if my converting is correct that's about $475 Canadian, plus add shipping, and of course quite possibly the tax man will want a piece. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited by coryl; Sep 28, 2013 at 11:30 PM.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 10:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coryl
No, corporate Mitsubishi has never heard of this problem, just ask them and they'll tell you that.

Unfortunately the failure of these pumps will require a repair or replacement to all of us who live in areas with extreme temperature changes and salted roads...there is no "if" here, and it's just a matter of when. I have to shake my head a bit when people spend their last cent on a performance car and then go into debt modifying it and can't afford the cost of anything else afterwards. There is a cost of ownership for performance cars and the Evo is a performance car and it's the best bang for the buck out there. If you own a Lambo or Ferrari and live in California you can drive it 24/7, but don't try that here in the North unless you have lots of money for repairs. The Evo wasn't meant to be driven on our northern salted roads either, so if we do, then we better be prepared to spend money on repairs, replacement parts or at minimum protection. Do not buy this car if you can't afford it and don't have 2 grand and more for a pump or for other future repairs and especially if you're going to drive it in winter.

And really, I'm not bashing anyone or trying to dissuade anyone who wants one of these amazing cars, and they are truly amazing and so much fun. I'm in the same boat as everyone else and wish Mitsubishi had of located the pump to the trunk although I do 'get it' that having a working motorized pump in the trunk might not be a big selling feature other than to us in the North or for those who want to track their car. We were obviously not a big focus or even a thought.

And I don't like the fact that here in Canada it will cost me $4,000 for a pump at some point and that's if we can even get them for that price in the future. On a previous older car I had the Chrysler dealership quoting me for a front flex pipe at $900 because they could. I got one made for $300, but just try to make a future ACD/AYC pump. The only way to protect this pump almost 100% is to relocate and keep it protected. One guy asked a question about what his first mod on his Evo X should be and I told him protecting the car...mud flaps, paint protection/rust protection, Weathertech mats, clear bra, etc, and now I'll go back to add protecting the pump.

On that note, I got a message from Chris at Autotorque and the prototype to relocate the pump to the trunk on the X (and therefore Ralliarts) is ready and they are just going to install and test the first kit next week so this will be the first ready made relocation kit for our cars. Chris estimates the kits with mounting frame will be approximately $300 pounds so if my converting is correct that's about $475 Canadian, plus add shipping, and of course quite possibly the tax man will want a piece. I'll keep you posted.
Awesome. Keep us posted. Dishing out money to fix the car isn't really the problem, the problem is that mitsubishi doesn't want to be aware of the issue alone. I don't get it, messed up thing is we keep buying the damn cars too lol.

Quick Reply: For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)