Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 11:46 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by evohang
Awesome. Keep us posted. Dishing out money to fix the car isn't really the problem, the problem is that mitsubishi doesn't want to be aware of the issue alone. I don't get it, messed up thing is we keep buying the damn cars too lol.
Mitsubishi knows the problem. We buy the cars because they are amazing. We can protect the pumps by relocating. It's really that simple. All cars have their issues, and the ACD pump is ours (and especially in the North), and it's easily addressed.. Relocation will give us also easy access to clean off and polish and protect them in the trunk plus it's warmer in there. No other fix will protect the vulnerable solenoids as well, and we know if they go it's a new pump for us even if we sealed it or whatever.

I'll definitely keep you posted on the kits. They should be ready soon as they're just being tested on the X.

Last edited by coryl; Oct 1, 2013 at 09:54 AM.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 05:24 PM
Evolving Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Sorry if this is OT, but would there be any way to check to see if the pump is corroded without pulling it out or pulling a bunch of body trim off? This would help someone looking to purchase a EVO, and not having to go on word of the owner or what not. Could you look for rust on parts of the under body or salt deposits, or is the pump easy to get a view of?

Again sorry if this was the wrong place, but it seemed like important info for someone looking to buy.
Old Oct 3, 2013, 05:48 PM

I also got my ACD pump replaced by "good-will". I did have to pay $330 for the labor to install it, though. It has under 28K but I do have to drive it in the snow.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 10:54 PM
Evolved Member

Received 288 Likes on 219 Posts
Originally Posted by franzcars
Sorry if this is OT, but would there be any way to check to see if the pump is corroded without pulling it out or pulling a bunch of body trim off? This would help someone looking to purchase a EVO, and not having to go on word of the owner or what not. Could you look for rust on parts of the under body or salt deposits, or is the pump easy to get a view of?

Again sorry if this was the wrong place, but it seemed like important info for someone looking to buy.
they all look the same on the outside... it is on the inside that counts...
Old Oct 4, 2013, 11:02 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Red_06_EvoRS
I also got my ACD pump replaced by "good-will". I did have to pay $330 for the labor to install it, though. It has under 28K but I do have to drive it in the snow.

I have written this so many times my fingers hurt..

for new or new-ish pumps

First, spray the pump with some WD40... just to clean it from dirt. Then use any spray on lubricating grease... stuff that gets sticky when it dries might be best.. and spray the base of the solenoids and the joints between the pump halfs and the motor and pump body, so that the grease penetrates the pump body.. Let it dry, then use some brake cleaner on a piece of rag and clean those mating joints, degrease them and use silicone sealant, preferably oil sump sealant and seal those joints.

On the base of the solenoids, do not use silicone, but use really heavy grease. There is some outboard engine grease that is really sticky.
in the end, you can paint the solenoids and even the pump just to protect it from surface corrosion. That is it.. no need to complicate...

I have made my own relocating kit, but never did install it because I needed to test the overhauled pumps in the stock location. It is very simple to do though, but becomes complicated if you want to produce plug and play solution because it is hard to get the electrical connectors..
Old Oct 6, 2013, 08:48 AM

Any word on the approx release date for the Autotorque kit?
Old Oct 6, 2013, 10:16 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kikiturbo
I have made my own relocating kit, but never did install it because I needed to test the overhauled pumps in the stock location. It is very simple to do though, but becomes complicated if you want to produce plug and play solution because it is hard to get the electrical connectors..
On USDM Evo Xs, the wiring starts in the trunk and goes down to the pump though a hole with a grommet. There is plenty of wire to put the pump in any reasonable location without any cutting, splicing, etc.
Old Oct 6, 2013, 11:35 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
On USDM Evo Xs, the wiring starts in the trunk and goes down to the pump though a hole with a grommet. There is plenty of wire to put the pump in any reasonable location without any cutting, splicing, etc.
in that case, just go to a hydraulic supply shop and have them make extensions for the hydraulic hoses.. that is simple enough...

I mean, I can make that kit easily enough..
Old Oct 7, 2013, 03:44 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
That was my plan and is probably what I will do. The only remaining question is this: where to connect the line to the ACD.

The AYC lines will just be new flexible lines from the pump to the diff. But I have full skid-plates and no interest in ripping around in the interior of the car, so I'm not sure how to connect the pump to the ACD. I do not want to run a line to the right-rear corner and connect to the end of the OE hard-line, because the whole point of this is to get everything out of the right-rear corner.

Would you suggest cutting the OE hard-line somewhere around where it goes over the rear diff, flaring it, and connecting there?
Old Oct 8, 2013, 03:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by fcastigl
Any word on the approx release date for the Autotorque kit?
In answer to yours and a few other posts, Chris from Autotorque just got the fittings which he said they had some difficulty obtaining so not sure they can be as easily found if a big company like that has some trouble. As of last week he was going to get the kit fitted on the X and tested so I should be hearing back from him sometime soon and I'll let you know and we'll get a group buy going. Personally I wouldn't be running around trying to make my own relocation kit plus mounting frame for the fairly cheap price of a quality one from Autotorque that's already complete, fitted and tested for our cars. It will be good to have those cheap lines replaced, a working and protected pump in the trunk, and all without any leaking. The pump can only go into the right side trunk space unless you make other changes to your trunk as I've previously posted and I've done all the measurements and tried every location we could use on the X. Anyways, it's just my two cents.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by coryl
In answer to yours and a few other posts, Chris from Autotorque just got the fittings which he said they had some difficulty obtaining so not sure they can be as easily found if a big company like that has some trouble. As of last week he was going to get the kit fitted on the X and tested so I should be hearing back from him sometime soon and I'll let you know and we'll get a group buy going. Personally I wouldn't be running around trying to make my own relocation kit plus mounting frame for the fairly cheap price of a quality one from Autotorque that's already complete, fitted and tested for our cars. It will be good to have those cheap lines replaced, a working and protected pump in the trunk, and all without any leaking. The pump can only go into the right side trunk space unless you make other changes to your trunk as I've previously posted and I've done all the measurements and tried every location we could use on the X. Anyways, it's just my two cents.

Subscribed.. I was looking into buy a custom cover, but I would prefer this instead. Keep us updated please.

Thanks
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:23 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ignitionr34
Subscribed.. I was looking into buy a custom cover, but I would prefer this instead. Keep us updated please.

Thanks
I got a message from Chris at Autotorque and he hasn't got all the customized fittings yet but says everything will be ready by next month for us.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 01:45 PM

Heya,

I hope this isn't off topic to much...

I am currently looking at Evo X's as a daily driver. I live in Truckee/Lake Tahoe (west coast/NorCal, no salt used on the roads, but butt loads of snow) and these failures are really making think twice about buying one.

Have there been many failures in warmer winter climates (meaning not Canada cold, but still snow muck and road grim from them sanding the road as they do here in Cali)? I don't see too many X's in the area (one of my bosses has one), so it is hard to get a clear idea from anyone local if this is an issue I should be considering. The winters here are pretty hard on cars, which leads me to believe I might be better off going the STi route (sand + snow +road grim = a soup that probably is as bad as salt). I have had 2 STi's, and was hoping this time to experience an EVO. But for what these things cost to fix, I cannot justify it as a "cost of ownership"....might as well take the $2-4k and upgrade to an B8 S4 or the like (not my first choice as cost of ownership is pretty pricey).

Anyone here have a California car that the pump failed? Is there a registry I can look up that has addresses or at least states?

Thanks for any insight....!

josh
Old Oct 24, 2013, 06:02 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i know i have a evo 8, but mine went out too, luckily i got a low mileage used pump but still a pain since i don't track or abuse the car but i do have road salt etc
Old Oct 26, 2013, 10:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by spidy512
Heya,

I hope this isn't off topic to much...

I am currently looking at Evo X's as a daily driver. I live in Truckee/Lake Tahoe (west coast/NorCal, no salt used on the roads, but butt loads of snow) and these failures are really making think twice about buying one.

Have there been many failures in warmer winter climates (meaning not Canada cold, but still snow muck and road grim from them sanding the road as they do here in Cali)? I don't see too many X's in the area (one of my bosses has one), so it is hard to get a clear idea from anyone local if this is an issue I should be considering. The winters here are pretty hard on cars, which leads me to believe I might be better off going the STi route (sand + snow +road grim = a soup that probably is as bad as salt). I have had 2 STi's, and was hoping this time to experience an EVO. But for what these things cost to fix, I cannot justify it as a "cost of ownership"....might as well take the $2-4k and upgrade to an B8 S4 or the like (not my first choice as cost of ownership is pretty pricey).

Anyone here have a California car that the pump failed? Is there a registry I can look up that has addresses or at least states?

Thanks for any insight....!

josh
It's the extreme cold and salted roads that really do these pumps in. I haven't noticed that anyone from California has had an issue yet but there is another thread on here where people post when there pumps fail so look at that and the location of the poster. You can also speak with the service manager at the dealerships in your area and ask them how many, if any, of these pumps they see come in failed. You won't have a problem if you relocate the pump, and I'm guessing if you even just sealed the pump or even just washed the undercarriage regularly you probably won't have a problem because of your location either.

Remember when deciding, that all cars have their issues and you can research online Subaru' issues and know that they have lots. I can bash Subaru and Mitsubishi equally because I own one of each. Lol. Good luck in your decision.

Last edited by coryl; Oct 26, 2013 at 10:36 AM.

Quick Reply: For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)