Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:24 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by samuel1986
It IS due to cold weather. Had mine go bad and the dealer told me it was due to the fact the cold weather gels up the oil inside making it thicker. It causes the pump to work ALOT harder than normal and ends up frying the motor of the AWC pump. All it does without the pump is it takes away the functions to change it from snow, tarmac, and gravel. Basically makes it an open diff AWD. They will not make it a recall due to the fact that in the southern warmer states they aren't having the issues. Just in the north.
Yes and no. Depends on what part of the pump fails.
Majority of failures are due to corrosion, not just in the north.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by coryl
More pics...
That's a great job on the relocation. It looks like a professional job.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:12 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Old Eagle
That's a great job on the relocation. It looks like a professional job.

Yep, it's a beautiful kit. When I first spoke with Autotorque (the only company I could find that had some experience in relocating pumps for previous models) and asked them to make us a relocation kit for our 2008+ North American X/Ralliarts that have different pumps/trunk layout, I had no idea how awesome the end product would be...they are very happy with it too. It's taken since last spring to get everything arranged figuring out location, getting the fittings made, etc, and I'm so very happy it's done and that it exceeds anything that I could have wished for. I've had my trunk apart so many times to figure out location, send pics, etc, that I can now do it with my eyes closed.
If anyone is interested in the first bunch deal I've arranged send me a PM.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:17 PM
Evolving Member

It IS due to cold weather. Had mine go bad and the dealer told me it was due to the fact the cold weather gels up the oil inside making it thicker. It causes the pump to work ALOT harder than normal and ends up frying the motor of the AWC pump. All it does without the pump is it takes away the functions to change it from snow, tarmac, and gravel. Basically makes it an open diff AWD. They will not make it a recall due to the fact that in the southern warmer states they aren't having the issues. Just in the north.
Have you spoken to someone from corporate about a recall?
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:30 PM
Evolving Member

It IS due to cold weather.

If that were the case, everyone's pump would fail in the first winter, and that doesn't happen...pumps take a while to corrode. People who live in colder areas get more snow/ice and with that they get salt dumped on the roads which corrodes everything and especially the unprotected pumps which IMO are made up of the cheapest metal possible having had the opportunity to look them over.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:38 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by coryl
If that were the case, everyone's pump would fail in the first winter, and that doesn't happen...pumps take a while to corrode. People who live in colder areas get more snow/ice and with that they get salt dumped on the roads which corrodes everything and especially the unprotected pumps which IMO are made up of the cheapest metal possible having had the opportunity to look them over.
The first cold (and coldest) day this year was 19 degrees and my pump failed that day.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:48 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hamburger_train

The first cold (and coldest) day this year was 19 degrees and my pump failed that day.
After how many years did the pump fail?
19° Fahrenheit? That's **** all. That's only -7°C. It got to -32°C here just last weekend. Pump was fine.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 07:55 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Thomar
After how many years did the pump fail? 19° Fahrenheit? That's **** all. That's only -7°C. It got to -32°C here just last weekend. Pump was fine.
The car is a 2008. Yeah 19° F. It never gets cold here, average annual temp of 65° F.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 08:18 PM
Evolved Member

The car is a 2008. Yeah 19° F. It never gets cold here, average annual temp of 65° F.
If you've never had the pump fail before I'd say you were about due. Lol
Old Mar 6, 2014, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

If you've never had the pump fail before I'd say you were about due. Lol
A $1500 part shouldn't be expected to fail
Old Mar 6, 2014, 08:33 PM
Evolved Member

A $1500 part shouldn't be expected to fail
With the pumps service record one has to expect it to fail.
What sucks even more is that Mitsubishi doesn't own up to their mistakes with this and cover it under the power train warranty.
Old Mar 6, 2014, 09:00 PM
Evolving Member

After how many years did the pump fail?
19° Fahrenheit? That's **** all. That's only -7°C. It got to -32°C here just last weekend. Pump was fine.

That's why cold isn't that significant, and it's the corrosion factor in most cases that has damaged the pump first...We've hit minus 30-something here as well in Eastern Canada almost the entire winter it's been brutal and we can't wash the cars then either. Our cars here with salted roads definitely corrode faster than those in warmer/dryer climates without the additional salt acting as a catalyst (although living close to oceans, etc, will also speed the corrosion even hundreds of miles away from them). Alloys also corrode with just moisture, as well, so everyone's pump will start corroding at some point although obviously slower if the area is warm (dryer) and away from salt and other catalysts...no car is immune, and it's just a matter of when it will fail not if.
People have to decide their risk factor based on where they live and take precautions, but if those expensive pumps are in the trunk it's much easier to perfectly clean them off and protect them too if they're staring you in the face.

Last edited by coryl; Mar 7, 2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 03:49 PM

As far as I was told by corporate its due to the cold. Hence why most people with the issue have it in colder weather. Corrosion may play a factor but not nearly as much as the cold temps. Mine was covered.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 04:16 PM
Evolved Member

Corporate needs to get their **** together lol.
Majority of failures are due to corrosion. With older pumps the motor may fail due to wear.

Last edited by Thomar; Mar 7, 2014 at 04:19 PM.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 06:52 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
As far as I was told by corporate its due to the cold. Hence why most people with the issue have it in colder weather. Corrosion may play a factor but not nearly as much as the cold temps. Mine was covered.
Mitsu's theory has been debunked. That the pumps fail in warm places is one of the bigger hints. The slam-dunk is when you see a dead pump. They (and you) have it backwards, it seems: corrosion is the key problem, while cold reveals the effects of said corrosion.

ps. WRT to the above video ... what's the internet thing? tritech?

Quick Reply: For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)