Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:10 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by coryl
The pump is covered for labor to replace it under the new warranty. Why are you wanting them to inspect the pump? What seems to be the problem?
They want to inspect the pump and actually see that its the pump that is causing the service required light. So I'm guessing they are going to charge a diagnostic fee to inspect the pump.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 01:03 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by almost2009
They want to inspect the pump and actually see that its the pump that is causing the service required light. So I'm guessing they are going to charge a diagnostic fee to inspect the pump.

Most but not all service departments will charge you a diagnosis fee. However, if the cause is found and you agree to have it fixed there (under warranty or not), that diagnosis fee is usually waived and I'd confirm that with them if you do the work there so you don't get a bill after the fact. The fee usually exists just in case they tell you the problem and you decide not to fix it. Their time and effort to diagnose needs to be paid by someone.

My question is what symptoms make you believe that the CEL is related to the pump? Did you check the codes?

Last edited by coryl; Jan 1, 2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 12:55 PM
Evolving Member

Most but not all service departments will charge you a diagnosis fee. However, if the cause is found and you agree to have it fixed there (under warranty or not), that diagnosis fee is usually waived and I'd confirm that with them if you do the work there so you don't get a bill after the fact. The fee usually exists just in case they tell you the problem and you decide not to fix it. Their time and effort to diagnose needs to be paid by someone.

My question is what symptoms make you believe that the CEL is related to the pump? Did you check the codes?
I did not check the codes but I could see the fluid the the reservoir isn't moving, and I also checked under the car and the pump looks like it took a beating from 5 seasons of winter.
Old Jan 1, 2015, 04:19 PM
Evolving Member

I just heard that Mitsubishi has now extended the warranty on pumps to 10year/100,000 miles. I wonder if people are going to get refunds, and what for those who had their pumps rebuilt?
I don't think it's going to happen, but I would like a refund.

I had the first one replace under warranty and I had the second one replaced out of pocket because my extended warranty refused to replace it.

Last edited by Turbo Ghost; Jan 3, 2015 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2015, 12:09 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Turbo Ghost
I don't think it's going to happen, but I would like a refund.

I had the first one replace under warranty and I had the second one replaced out of pocket because my extended warranty refused to replace it.

What kind of extended warranty can refuse to replace the pump? Why I'm asking is, does this mean that replacements under this warranty might be limited to one pump replacement?
I haven't heard of anyone getting a refund yet. I tried to find information from similar situations but those are rare and no one mentioned getting a refund.

Last edited by coryl; Jan 3, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:36 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by almost2009
I did not check the codes but I could see the fluid the the reservoir isn't moving, and I also checked under the car and the pump looks like it took a beating from 5 seasons of winter.

It is probably the pump if you're seeing a very corroded pump, although I'd also check the fuse making sure it's not blown.
Old Jan 7, 2015, 11:53 PM
Evolving Member

Tonight it's -29C here with a wind chill of -40C and OMG we're freezing. I placed my left over 1/3 bottle of OEM ATF SP-111 on my porch sitting out to the elements to test it. Someone posted somewhere that OEM congeals at -12 and I wanted to know if that does happen. After an entire day/evening/night sitting outside in these frigid temps, the OEM is still fluid and pourable and has not congealed.
IMO from what I've just seen tonight, I see no reason to worry about using OEM and feeling the need to jump on the Redline bandwagon unless perhaps you live in much colder areas. And using other than OEM may void warranty under the new "corrosion" warranty although I hope not.

Last edited by coryl; Jan 8, 2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old Jan 8, 2015, 06:38 AM

Just my Luck! Regarding my 2008 GSR: I make custom Neon Signs and I happened to trade a Custom Sign to Ryan Gates (311RS) for a ACD Pump off a car that he had to scrap. The car had 15k miles on it. That was last year... So I "was" sitting pretty with a spare pump ready to install!!!! Then Mitsubishi got off their asses and decided to do something special and recall all our funked pumps! So... I have a complete pump for sale off a 15k car. Anybody have some input on how much $ I should ask for it? Note: I am traveling to Bay City next week to have my failed ACD pump replaced at Mitsubishi expense AND get my drive belt/pulley recall handled!
Old Jan 8, 2015, 10:12 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Alboco
Just my Luck! Regarding my 2008 GSR: I make custom Neon Signs and I happened to trade a Custom Sign to Ryan Gates (311RS) for a ACD Pump off a car that he had to scrap. The car had 15k miles on it. That was last year... So I "was" sitting pretty with a spare pump ready to install!!!! Then Mitsubishi got off their asses and decided to do something special and recall all our funked pumps! So... I have a complete pump for sale off a 15k car. Anybody have some input on how much $ I should ask for it? Note: I am traveling to Bay City next week to have my failed ACD pump replaced at Mitsubishi expense AND get my drive belt/pulley recall handled!

The pump will probably be worth more in 3 years when the 2008 Evos are no longer covered under this warranty so you could keep it protected under your pillow until then. There is a guy on this site who said Mitsu refused to warranty his pump due to modifications and it cost him over $2000 for a new one despite the car should have still been under warranty for the pump. Mitsu may also due this to others with mods then of course people will be looking for a new pump. We don't know how Mitsu is going to do this "corrosion" warranty but I've got a feeling that each dealership may interpret it differently (and fight for you differently) as we've seen in the past where some got warranty and some did not. I'm so interested in why they needed to add the words "corrosion" in the warranty, which means to me that they have wiggle room to get out of all pump replacements. I'm interested to see the outcome.
Old Jan 16, 2015, 05:06 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just got my letter in the mail today.
Attached Thumbnails For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)-20150116_200517.jpg  
Old Jan 16, 2015, 08:30 PM
Evolving Member

same
Old Jan 17, 2015, 07:40 AM

I have a brand new OEM pump still in its box if anyone is interest in buying, pm me. My X is going in Monday to get fixed.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 11:03 AM
EvoM Community Team

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I called in to MMNA about this at the beginning of november with ~43,000 miles on my '08 and was able to head to the dealer just before thanksgiving as a scan by them was required for MMNA to do anything about it (I already had the C161e code from another scanner, but they needed a dealer to confirm). At that point I had pulled the relay to prevent further damage in case I wanted to rebuild, but was pretty well settled on just buying a pump from the canadian rebuilder who coats them and replaces the disk in a new unit. Unfortunately they mis-diagnosed the relay I had inserted just before driving back as the cause and said I had to order a new one at $30 ($16 on mitsuparts). I asked if they could pull one from a car in the front or clear the code and drive the car up the block to reactivate the pump code and they said they were too swamped and didn't have time. Oh well.

New relay came in and I picked it up about a week later, no change, no surprise. The dealer was saddled with other recalls but got me in for the second inspection on 12/30/14 and informed me about the warranty. I had the work done on mine on on 1/8/15! Couldn't get a refund for the original visit or relay (which they said was still bad, but seems incredibly unlikely. I'm going to cut it and see how bad the contacts are on it) but the pump being covered is a feel good. I'm calling MMNA to tell them I'm pleased with they way they started handling it and can recommend their vehicles again, but I do wish they took care of it sooner.

Originally Posted by wiretap
Just got my letter in the mail today.
I got my letter yesterday too! The nice thing is it specifies corrosion in the letter, so hopefully they decided to do something about the disk. It does specify its due to anti freezing agents exposure, so maybe they just painted the body or something. I haven't gotten a chance to stick my head in there and see.

Either way I'm really glad MMNA finally addressed the issue.
Old Jan 17, 2015, 05:45 PM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
This was brought up in the other thread but do you think they will make a big fuss about the cars being modded?
Old Jan 18, 2015, 12:00 PM

^^ I just don't see how modded cars prevent corrosion...

Quick Reply: For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)