Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2013, 09:36 PM
olo
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Im on my 3rd pump already. 1st pump was replaced under warranty 2nd pump died in winter when was -30°C and now im on my 3rd one.I wonder how long this one will last.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a 2009 ralliart, about 5-6 months ago at 37k miles my "awd service required" came on i went to mits and was told that its probably nothing and all it needs is a program reset, so i got it done, 2 minutes after leaving it came back on and was told its still nothing, it was not till 3 days ago that i went to mits after the car was parked most of the time and was told (by the same dealership) that its related to my pump and its a $1700 rebuild but there's no hurry if i park it for the winter. I have called and gone to mits many times in between and was always told its nothing to worry about and everythings fine
Old Sep 9, 2013, 04:48 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by julix
i have a 2009 ralliart, about 5-6 months ago at 37k miles my "awd service required" came on i went to mits and was told that its probably nothing and all it needs is a program reset, so i got it done, 2 minutes after leaving it came back on and was told its still nothing, it was not till 3 days ago that i went to mits after the car was parked most of the time and was told (by the same dealership) that its related to my pump and its a $1700 rebuild but there's no hurry if i park it for the winter. I have called and gone to mits many times in between and was always told its nothing to worry about and everythings fine
You should at least file a report with NHTSA. I have a link on the first page. Mitsubishi should he held accountable for the poor location and lack of protection and sealing.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by julix
If your Ralliart is stock then call up Mitsu corporate at 1-888-MITSU2013. Open up a case for warranty repair and make sure you tell them about that dealership you are going through.

A dealership denied my warranty on my Eclipse. I called up corporate and it was approved less then 24 hours later (A $4000 new top).

If however your car is modded in anyway, it's just part of modding territory. Yes I believe the pumps failing overall have little to do with mods and more to do with snow and corrosion, but it is pretty much known and understood that if you mod your car you risk loosing your warranty.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 06:54 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Kendogg
If however your car is modded in anyway, it's just part of modding territory. Yes I believe the pumps failing overall have little to do with mods and more to do with snow and corrosion, but it is pretty much known and understood that if you mod your car you risk loosing your warranty.
I've said this before (maybe even to you), but this is EXACTLY the attitude that they are banking on. As long as people keep failing to demand what they are due under federal law, none of us will get anything. I don't deny that it's a common belief that modding a car can void the entire warranty (i.e., I'd don't deny that it is "known and understood"), but that's flat-out wrong. And people who either accept or pass lone this belief are almost as much of the problem as Mitsu Corp.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 07:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I've said this before (maybe even to you), but this is EXACTLY the attitude that they are banking on. As long as people keep failing to demand what they are due under federal law, none of us will get anything. I don't deny that it's a common belief that modding a car can void the entire warranty (i.e., I'd don't deny that it is "known and understood"), but that's flat-out wrong. And people who either accept or pass lone this belief are almost as much of the problem as Mitsu Corp.
Well they are not suppose to deny warranty if it has nothing to do with the mods. For example if I take my Evo in for warranty because the sunroof quit working, then my mods should not matter. The problem is that I can see Mitsu fixing the sunroof, but then make a note that the car was modded so if I brought it in the future with engine/drivetrain issues, I can see them then denying warranty.

I'm not sure where these pump failures fall. I can see Mitsu denying warranty for them on a modded car. Anyone new to Mitsu will find out they are horrible to deal with when it comes to warranty. Obviously this is a blanket statement as some have had good experiences. But my personal experience, the are a B in a half to deal with. My Eclipse was stock and I had to jump through a couple hoops, deal with 2 dealers, and make countless trips to the dealers, spend many days in rental cars, and loose many hours at work. All in all the warranty repair (which was finally honored by Mitsu) probably cost me almost a grand.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 07:39 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
This. We all know Mitsubishi is stingy with their warranty. We do, however, need to take as much action as we can to have our warranties honored. We are legally protected against Mitsubishi just flat our voiding our warranty because of mods. They can, however, deny claims if they are able to prove that a certain mod caused the required repair.

The Magnuson-Moss act is a good tool for people to use. It won't necessarily guarantee that our legal entitlements are honored, but if it comes down to it, we need more people fighting Mitsubishi on these issues.

http://www.dummies.com/how-to/conten...ty-intact.html
Old Sep 9, 2013, 09:56 AM
Evolving Member

Absolutely this needs to be fought. Mitsu understands that there are going to be a ton of pumps failing in the next few years so if they can win this case they will have set a precedence and won't have to pay for any of them when they know full well these pumps are failing due to corrosion and not mods. Most people do some kind of tune or mods on these cars by the third year of ownership and Mitsu will be counting on that in the future to unjustly deny pump claims. Two to three years is when these pumps fail from corrosion and how convenient for Mitsu if it only costs them a $1000 in arbitration to be able to deny everyone in the future. People here should be coming up with suggestions to help fight this.

To supply information to the arbitrator, first I'd go to companies that do the rebuilds for these corroded pumps such as, Autotorque, and ACD-tuning, etc, and see if they can supply information to use in the case...they are the experts in why these units fail (not Mitsubishi who just wants to deny you). Even on the ACD-tuning web page it talks about how these pumps fail from corrosion and "not" from over use...here's the quote..."As many Evo owners know, one of the more expensive failures on the Evo is the ACD pump. This does not usually occur as a result of wear and tear, or even overuse; it is most commonly caused by a build up of corrosion inside the pump that finds it's way into the seals and other components. This leads to poor pump pressure and no ACD lockup, with a failure indicated on the dash by all of the ACD lights coming on at once. New pump units can run up to $3,000, so this problem can be a major headache.".

I'd also get pictures of where the pump is located on the car and also pics of it showing the corrosion. I'd also show threads like this around the world to show how many of these pumps are failing. Hopefully the sympathetic dealership will also come forward and say the pump is corroded too. I'd also show that Mitsu does not have this pump under the powertrain warranty but denied you under it.

Hopefully this could all make Corporate Mitsu look bad for just denying the claim with nothing to back it up on their side other than having the motivation to save themselves a lot of future cash unjustly.

Ok, that's just my two cents on how to win this. Anyone else?

Last edited by coryl; Sep 9, 2013 at 11:14 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:12 AM

ACD failed. 2011 GSR with just under 50k miles on it, I am third owner. Would I be able to get the dealership to cover this under warranty or am I boned?

Last edited by chundizzy; Sep 9, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 11:27 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by chundizzy
ACD failed. 2011 GSR with just under 50k miles on it, I am third owner. Would I be able to get the dealership to cover this under warranty or am I boned?
I'm sorry for your loss. Please add a post to this thread: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...e-reports.html

As to your question: there are, it seems, a few regional reps who will do a replacement under the powertrain warranty, which is still in effect on your car. If your regional rep sees the pump as not part of the powertrain, however, such that it would only be covered by the bumper-to-bumper, then I'm afraid you're out of luck.

Last edited by Iowa999; Sep 9, 2013 at 11:30 AM.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 12:17 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Total thumbs on Matt at ACD Tuning, if you have it rebuilt.

As to driving with a dead pump, as Red said above, the center and rear will be wide open, but that's all. It will be sort of like driving a DSM, instead of an Evo.

With regard to the car feeling better or faster, the faster part is just in your head, but the better part might not. I didn't really grok just how bad the stock maps are until my pump died.

edit: I have moved the OT discussion of ACD/AYC issues on gravel to here: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...iscussion.html
Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by sort of like driving a DSM (I know like an old GSX but I never owned one so what does it mean?)?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 01:45 PM
Evolved Member

DSMs had wide-open fronts, a crappy VC LSD on the center, and (if you were lucky) another crappy VC on the rear. It was a pretty pathetic AWD system for anything beyond not getting stuck in the snow or, maybe, semi-serious-at-best road-racing. If you had any serious power, the center VC would at first do almost nothing (which is why so many DSM drag-racers just swap in a spool) and then, when the VC hit the hump, it would suddenly lock and maybe snap a rear axle. The rear was almost as bad, although now the fun and games were side-to-side, instead.

Anyone who has gone from a DSM with stock driveline to an Evo X in one jump can tell you what an incredible difference a real AWD system can make. Oh, and when you find such people, ask them how many times the car dove to the inside of a turn, scaring the crap out of them, when they applied throttle at corner exit. This question can evoke some interesting stories and explains why my daughter's favorite thing to scream in the car is "don't cut!" (My reply: "I wasn't trying to cut, honey. I just forgot that I wasn't driving an under-steering pig any more.")

edit: if you like how stock DSMs drive but want a new car, there's a solution: get an STi. tee hee

Last edited by Iowa999; Sep 9, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old Sep 9, 2013, 01:49 PM
EvoM Administrator

Received 135 Likes on 81 Posts
I have heard nothing but great things about ACD tuning. It's local and I need to go by with the SLR and do a few snaps for the website!
Old Sep 9, 2013, 02:30 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Not sure if my pump is bad or is its just the seals. It works every so often then I get the code so would that mean its not building enough pressure up? Also would we have to worry about snapping anything now? I know it won't damage anything running without it, but must put some extra stress of something?
Old Sep 9, 2013, 04:29 PM
Evolved Member

If you don't do things that would normally engage the system, then there'll be no added stress. If and when the pump dies completely, cut the power to it, to avoid burning out a wire in the motor. There's a relay on the firewall if you can't just pull the harness.

Quick Reply: For those of you with ACD pump failures (merged)