Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HKS or TURBOSMART BOV

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013 | 10:11 PM
Evolving Member

the mr doesnt loose boost between shifts... its one of its selling points.

the only time your bov opens to whoosh is when theres pressure change fromm positive pressure to vacuum in the line which is only caused by the throttle plate closing between shifts

since the mr doesnt loose boost between shifts, the bov must not be opening, which means the throttle plate cannot be closing between shifts.

Last edited by Gyroscope; May 4, 2013 at 10:22 PM.
Old May 4, 2013 | 10:34 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
That doesn't quite make sense to me. There has to be more. If the throttle stayed wide open and fuel was still matched to air-flow and timing wasn't pulled, even during the very fast shift of an SST I would expect a brief but large surge in RPMs during the moment that the engine is disconnected from the wheels. But that doesn't happen. So what changes during a flat-foot shift to prevent a surge in RPMs?
The engine is never 'disconnected from the wheels' with the sst, even between shifts, because the higher gear is preloaded and the gears are changed instantly in the transmission with no loss of load on the engine.
Old May 4, 2013 | 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
so your saying that bc its an MR with DSG you wont hear the noise? lol so the diverter valve never opens then???? oooooooo ok good advices!
This is completely off topic but to clarify we do not have a DSG transmission - that is what Volkswagen calls their transmission designed by BorgWarner. We have a TC-SST designed by Getrag. While the idea is the same they're two different transmissions that operate, perform, and are designed differently. To me, that's like calling the Camaro's motor a Hemi because it's also a high power v8 lol. End rant.

Don't get a aftermarket BOV, my advice. People have always said great things about the stock valve.
Old May 5, 2013 | 07:50 PM

^^^^^^^Word up^^^^
Old May 5, 2013 | 08:15 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Gyroscope
since the mr doesnt loose boost between shifts, the bov must not be opening, which means the throttle plate cannot be closing between shifts.

While you may be correct that the CBV doesn't open, the fact that the boost doesn't drop is not clear evidence of this. The main method of boost control is the wastegate, not the CBV.

Even more, note those little blips in boost as the RPM drops. What stopped that blip from going higher during the time that the engine is slowing down? Maybe it was the wastegate. Maybe the CBV opened a little.
Old May 6, 2013 | 07:27 AM
Evolving Member

I think the green line is a manual and the red line is the SST as a compair between the two to show it does not drop boost through shifts like a manual does.
Old May 9, 2013 | 09:29 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hackerrei
I would not even waste my money on it in a MR because it is a auto manu you don't lift your foot off the gas thus the plate does not close during shifts to make it go off.
So if you want to hear the noise you would have to take your foot off the gas every shift which will cause the car to jurk when you put it back down agen.
Stick with stock it's good for up to 24-26 psi and since you can't hear the noise any way it would just be a waste of money. If you wanted the BOV sound you should have got the GSR 5 speed then every time you clutched it would go woosh.

So in other words buy power modes or a set of mudflaps to protect your panels from rocks.

I have a GSR and an MR and the MR blows off all the time
Old May 10, 2013 | 06:02 AM
Evolved Member

Don't get a Turbosmart. I have one and I am going to sell it. For a stock engine it is fine, but when you start to crank the boost up, it won't hold boost like a Synapse, which is what I am going to get.
Old May 10, 2013 | 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by hackerrei
I think the green line is a manual and the red line is the SST as a compair between the two to show it does not drop boost through shifts like a manual does.
its a boost plot of an mr.
the green line is rpm showing the gear changes in the sst, the red line is boost.
Old May 10, 2013 | 06:24 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ikt
I have a GSR and an MR and the MR blows off all the time
thats because youre letting off the gas. the only way a bov opens is with a pressure change.

you wont get the bov to go off or lose boost in a gsr either if you flat foot shift quickly because theres no pressure change by keeping the throttle plate fully open
Old May 10, 2013 | 06:37 PM

u dont rly need a new bov yet. the stock one is good up to like 26 psi or somethin. but if u def. get it recirculated i heard bad things about vta
Old May 11, 2013 | 09:20 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by daCHIevox
u dont rly need a new bov yet. the stock one is good up to like 26 psi or somethin. but if u def. get it recirculated i heard bad things about vta
VTA is fine. I say this having had 3 X's over the last 4 years and running both ways on all of them

Recirculate is for emissions, that's all. Technically you could make the claim that VTA is actually better, since when the release is vented back into the intake, it just blew hot air into your intake after the MAF, so it's a surge of hot unmetered air...

Last edited by ikt; May 11, 2013 at 10:17 AM.
Old May 16, 2013 | 03:30 PM
Evolving Member

Possibly off topic? But something I'm curious about. Say I wanted to change the sound of my BOV (which I do) what would be the best way of doing that if the stocker is the best for the job?
Is there really no option?
Old May 16, 2013 | 04:06 PM
Evolved Member
Veteran: Army

Originally Posted by theonlyalfonzo
Lot of people do not like the HKS cause of the "bird chirp" or fast and furious sound it makes. From what youtube showed me the turbo smart sounds better IMO
Fast and Furious sound that is funny as hell
Old May 16, 2013 | 08:38 PM

my preference is HKS. The sound that HKS always develops with all their products is always music to my ears. I am currently running the stock BOV, since i full bolt ons and tune minus catback so stock BOV still sounds really nice and load.

Quick Reply: HKS or TURBOSMART BOV