Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HKS or TURBOSMART BOV

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2013, 10:29 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by tiggeryellow1
Fast and Furious sound that is funny as hell
well you have to put that specific insert in it to whistle like that
Old May 18, 2013, 06:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's funny because when you think about it... it's true. I have just never heard it referred to like that. Good analogy man.
Old May 20, 2013, 08:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You should never run the stocker as a VTA it opens a little at idle and is made with a vain to leak boost for safty purposes. But you can run any other BOV in VENT the choise is really about what sound you want and the leak factor some sound great but leak. I have found the Go Fast Bits works the best for my setup right now but I do like the HKS sound. Some EVO 8-9 owners have changed from MAF to MAP when they got a custom block so they can VTA with no problems. But if your going for a HKS I would only buy from a trusted site like lancershop.com because so many fakes out there it can be hard to tell but if you find one for under $200 it's prob fake.
Old May 20, 2013, 05:45 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Stock is the best. Unless you going for 500+whp, I don't find any need to upgrade the BOV.
Old May 29, 2013, 11:51 AM

I didn't like the HKS. I like the turbosmart better.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:58 AM

Well if you decide that you want to purchase a BOV...I liked my turbo smart. sounded great. Hence the word "liked"...the pin inside went bad and now all it does is makes a flutter noise
Old Jun 23, 2013, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hackerrei
I would not even waste my money on it in a MR because it is a auto manu you don't lift your foot off the gas thus the plate does not close during shifts to make it go off.
So if you want to hear the noise you would have to take your foot off the gas every shift which will cause the car to jurk when you put it back down agen.
Stick with stock it's good for up to 24-26 psi and since you can't hear the noise any way it would just be a waste of money. If you wanted the BOV sound you should have got the GSR 5 speed then every time you clutched it would go woosh.
+1 This is why I left the BOVs stock on my GTR. How ever, my 2013 Evo GSR is equipped with a TurboSmart BOV, and I LOVE it! WHaaapoooosh!!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 03:31 PM

I love the HKS SSQV sound, and i use it on my VG30DETT. I dont know why HKS failed to do a great job for the evo's. So im actually going to buy the turbosmart and incorporate the fitting from the HKS BOV and put it on the turbosmart.

If anything im probably going to cut from the snout of the turbosmart and make my own version of a hybrid HKS/Turbosmart. Ill upload pictures when i finish the project.

the fitting im talking about is this:

http://image.nengun.com/catalogue/10...pecial_fin.jpg
Old Jun 23, 2013, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by hexaggram
I love the HKS SSQV sound, and i use it on my VG30DETT. I dont know why HKS failed to do a great job for the evo's. So im actually going to buy the turbosmart and incorporate the fitting from the HKS BOV and put it on the turbosmart.

If anything im probably going to cut from the snout of the turbosmart and make my own version of a hybrid HKS/Turbosmart. Ill upload pictures when i finish the project.

Would love to see how well this work out.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:24 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by hexaggram

I run that purple fine on mine, it sounds like stock but a little louder
I've ran the HKS SSQV on all three of my X's with no issue
The Turbosmart Dual Port is a joke, I got CEL's like crazy with it. Half in/half out is like turning up the rice.