Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HKS or TURBOSMART BOV

Search this Thread

Old Apr 25, 2013, 07:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HKS or TURBOSMART BOV

hi guys, im new here, just got my 2013 evo10 mr, slightly mod the car,this is what i put in
arc intake box
HKS catback exhaust
arc intercooler pipe and suction pipe
custom made down pipe and cat
just want to get a new bov, dont know if i should get HKS ssqv or turbosmart
suggestion please guys
Old Apr 25, 2013, 08:55 PM
Evolving Member

none ..
I would stick to the stock one. If you plan on doing big power then
If its not in recirc mode I wouldn't even look at them.

There are plenty of good recirc valves.. like Forge , Tial QR and so on...
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:28 AM
Evolving Member

I would not even waste my money on it in a MR because it is a auto manu you don't lift your foot off the gas thus the plate does not close during shifts to make it go off.
So if you want to hear the noise you would have to take your foot off the gas every shift which will cause the car to jurk when you put it back down agen.
Stick with stock it's good for up to 24-26 psi and since you can't hear the noise any way it would just be a waste of money. If you wanted the BOV sound you should have got the GSR 5 speed then every time you clutched it would go woosh.

So in other words buy power modes or a set of mudflaps to protect your panels from rocks.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 06:39 AM
Evolving Member

But if you did pick a BOV why not go with Go Fast Bits which is a Australian Company located in Riverwood NSW Australia 2210 phone number # +61 2 9534 0099
http://gfb.com.au/

They could help you make a better choise and there BOV can handle any amount of boost you could throw at them with no leaks. Hope that could help you a little mate.
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:13 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by hackerrei
I would not even waste my money on it in a MR because it is a auto manu you don't lift your foot off the gas thus the plate does not close during shifts to make it go off.
So if you want to hear the noise you would have to take your foot off the gas every shift which will cause the car to jurk when you put it back down agen.
Stick with stock it's good for up to 24-26 psi and since you can't hear the noise any way it would just be a waste of money. If you wanted the BOV sound you should have got the GSR 5 speed then every time you clutched it would go woosh.

So in other words buy power modes or a set of mudflaps to protect your panels from rocks.
so your saying that bc its an MR with DSG you wont hear the noise? lol so the diverter valve never opens then???? oooooooo ok good advices!
Old Apr 26, 2013, 09:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I hope thats as sarcastic as i want itto be... Some peoples kids... Even if it never opened it still has to seal... Hks ssqv is crap... My turbosmart works amazingly well And my old forge was tested to 35psi and is now on my friends car making it 4 years now and its still top notch...
Old Apr 27, 2013, 03:22 PM

Ya like whats said above, a BOV is not needed on an MR.
Old Apr 29, 2013, 06:18 AM
Evolving Member

Of those two, def. turbosmart.
Old May 1, 2013, 04:46 PM

Lot of people do not like the HKS cause of the "bird chirp" or fast and furious sound it makes. From what youtube showed me the turbo smart sounds better IMO
Old May 1, 2013, 05:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by wangboy925
Ya like whats said above, a BOV is not needed on an MR.
Would you be offended if I made this quote part of my signature?
Old May 2, 2013, 05:32 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by deadbeatrec
so your saying that bc its an MR with DSG you wont hear the noise? lol so the diverter valve never opens then???? oooooooo ok good advices!

Never said that but you were not reading what I did say. It does not open in shifts because with mr you don't have to take your foot of the gas to shift so the thro plate never closes. In short the BOV does not open in shifts not that it does not open ever like when you take your foot off the gas. I hope you will read more closely from now on.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:09 AM
Evolved Member

How sure are you that the throttle plate doesn't close? We have throttle-by-wire, so what your foot is doing is not the whole story. I haven't looked into this, myself, and maybe the ECU/TCU just cuts fuel or pulls timing, but it could also be that the throttle does close, at least a little.
Old May 2, 2013, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

I used to have a Ralliart Sportback which has the MR trans with a VTA on it. The only way to make the VTA blow off was to take your foot off the gas it would not blow by shifting gears since the foot is on the gas. The plate does not close because your foots on the gas and the RPMs stay reved through the shift.
I tried to make it blow through shifts but found it would only do it if after every shift I took my foot off the gas but this caused a bucking situation.
So in short a aftermarket bov is good if you are raising your boost or running bigger turbo. But after seeing how the stock turbo runs out of puff by the end of red line there is no justification to upgrade it on stock turbo.

So to the OP stick with stock BPV till you upgrade to more power parts because at your level a upgraded one is not needed. But if you want the BOV sound trade in for a GSR that way you get it through shifts and not by having to take your foot off the gas just to hear it.

But since he is in AU i advise he take it to GFB they can give him better options for his car and level of tune.
Old May 2, 2013, 07:08 AM
Evolved Member

That doesn't quite make sense to me. There has to be more. If the throttle stayed wide open and fuel was still matched to air-flow and timing wasn't pulled, even during the very fast shift of an SST I would expect a brief but large surge in RPMs during the moment that the engine is disconnected from the wheels. But that doesn't happen. So what changes during a flat-foot shift to prevent a surge in RPMs?
Old May 2, 2013, 12:07 PM
Evolving Member

I tried to find more info about the plate staying open trhough shifts but every thing is about how the trans works and does not mention any thing about the plate or any rev matching software.
But from experiance and videos of car with the SST I can safely say that the plate does not close through shift causing the car to go into vac.
With that said buying a BOV for the MR on stock to 26PSI or stock turbo would be a waiste of money that could be better put to power mods unless you like takeing your foot off the gas to hear it woosh all the time but when you shift no sound.
So OP save your money or if by now you already got one might as well through it on or waite till you up the boost or get a bigger turbo.

Here is a video of a 2009 Ralliart with the SST if you watch the boost guage he is holding boost through each shift never droping or going into vac till he lets off the gas at the end of the run.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MR Shifting

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Quick Reply: HKS or TURBOSMART BOV