Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

New Exo X owner - Need help/suggestions

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2013, 07:25 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
New Evo X owner - Need help/suggestions

I recently purchased a used 2008 Apex Silver Evolution X GSR w/ the SSS package w/ aero package. The car had unknown mods since I picked it up at the dealership.

From what I know;

ETS Inter-cooler
ETS Inter-cooler piping (upper and lower)
AMS Intake + heatsheild w/ K&N cone filter
ETS V2 Exhaust with ETS HFC. (Stock down pipe from what I can see)
Very, VERY stiff clutch (friends 6 Puck stage 3 clutch is a joke compared to mine)
CPE Gauge pod with Boost, Oil pressure (doesn't work) and A/F - AEM Digital gauges)

Just have some questions, its my first turbo'ed car and is only my second car.

1) Car seems to run very rich, I will be in 2nd or 3rd gear at cruising speeds, when I blip the throttle it just gurgles and makes mini popping sounds. This is normal correct?

2) Car has some rough idle here and there. I will come up to my driveway and stop and will notice sometimes it will have a loping effect. It will go slightly above normal and slightly off normal for a few seconds. Love the sound cause it sounds like I have cams. (I usually give it a blip of throttle to stop it)

3) I was told I may have a triple clutch (forgive me if its called something else). My engagement point is at the very top 97% of the time. But some times when I come to a stop the engagement point will change and engage right when my foot lifts off from the very bottom. Does this have to due with triple clutch? Or do I have a broken CMC or MC?

4) Is it normal for the Evo X to just spew out black smoke when you go WOT?

5) How would I know if I have a tune?

6) I plan on getting an E85 tune within the next month or so. Which set brand of injectors should I purchase and which size? What other bolt on's am I missing and should have installed before I get the tune?

Last edited by Hotsauce101; May 24, 2013 at 10:51 PM.
Old May 24, 2013, 08:06 AM
Evolving Member

1) Yes the tunes run pretty rich on these, My 08 pops quite a bit. Tuning will make a difference

2) My 08 will do the same thing every once in awhile, when I did the cobb stage2 flash it seemed to help it a bit. This info may also help on that issue as well. It's been discussed quite a bit, not sure if there is a conclusion to it yet. https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...unt-surge.html

3) You may have a master cylinder going on, there are plenty of kits around that replace it, but I would make for certain to diagnose it first. The X had a pretty cheap MC and heavier clutches tend to wear it out pretty quickly.

4) Yes, they run super rich without tunes, they cleaned up the tunes as the years went on though.

5) You will have to have a tuner take a look at it, by the sounds of how rich you are running, I highly doubt its tuned.

6) https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...iscussion.html

Good luck with the car! Post some pics!
Old May 24, 2013, 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donzilla2004

3) You may have a master cylinder going on, there are plenty of kits around that replace it, but I would make for certain to diagnose it first. The X had a pretty cheap MC and heavier clutches tend to wear it out pretty quickly.
If its going out wouldn't it just sink to the ground more often? Its springs back up to it normal position when the engagement point changes. When that happens I am forced to slip the clutch more often, maybe a few more seconds just to make sure I don't stall. When I notice that the engagement point is right when I lift my foot off I quickly pop out of gear and let go of the clutch (it will spring back up to it normal position), I sometimes push in the clutch and let it out one more time. The majority of the times the engagement point go back to the very top.

Last edited by Hotsauce101; May 24, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
Old May 24, 2013, 11:08 AM
Evolving Member

I've yet to experience it on my X, but From what I have read I do believe the pressure will change, I'm assuming it has to do with internally how the pressure changes with a failing MC, maybe pressure leakoff internally. How does the fluid look? I heard it tends to change color to a greyish as well. I could be wrong on this one though.
Old May 24, 2013, 02:32 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by donzilla2004
I've yet to experience it on my X, but From what I have read I do believe the pressure will change, I'm assuming it has to do with internally how the pressure changes with a failing MC, maybe pressure leakoff internally. How does the fluid look? I heard it tends to change color to a greyish as well. I could be wrong on this one though.
When I bought it the dealership had over filled everything. Didn't think about it too much until the next few days. I have it in between max and minimum. I don't see any leaking anywhere.

Ill probably bring it in to the place where I plan on getting a tune to diagnose it.
Old May 24, 2013, 06:56 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Hotsauce101
When I bought it the dealership had over filled everything. Didn't think about it too much until the next few days. I have it in between max and minimum. I don't see any leaking anywhere.

Ill probably bring it in to the place where I plan on getting a tune to diagnose it.
Yea, but over filling of the MC won't hurt, it will just cause it to spew out if the level is too high.