Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AC driving quality

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2013 | 10:14 AM

AC driving quality

So is it just me or is the driving smoothness of the car slighty worst when the ac is on ? I figured it was prob due to the ac compressor raising the rpms randomly making the shifts rougher.
Old Jun 2, 2013 | 10:49 AM
Evolved Member

I, too, notice when the compressor clutch kicks in and out. But the solution - a huge flywheel - is not to be preferred.
Old Jun 2, 2013 | 11:05 AM

All cars are like this. Some are worse and more noticeable than others, especially in a small displacement 4-cylinder engine. My previous VW GTI was much worse when the AC is on.
Old Jun 2, 2013 | 11:25 AM
Evolved Member

I don't run AC in town because of this.On the Freeway all the time,except when approaching and leaving tolls.
Old Jun 2, 2013 | 11:34 AM
Evolved Member

Its normal. As you start upgrading your fuel though it will be worse. What i learned is a FPR is a must when you start getting bigger fuel rails and injectors.

I never leave my A/C on in the city and when the time comes to give her hell i raise the windows and turn the air off and although I may be sweating my butt off its all worth it when you see someone in the rear view instead of in front of you.....HAHAHAHA
Old Jun 2, 2013 | 08:43 PM
Evolving Member

Its terrible. It's almost impossible to accelerate from a stop with the AC on and more than one person in the car and not burn up the clutch or stall.
Old Jun 4, 2013 | 10:30 AM

I only really noticed the difference between AC on/off when I first got the car (first manual car), but now that I've been driving it for a few months, it doesn't seem to bother me at all, even with the wife and kid in the car with me. Then again, I don't really take off from a stop very quickly, so maybe that's why I don't seem to notice it.
Old Jun 4, 2013 | 07:11 PM

Does it do the same thing when your headlights are on? If so, what can possibly cause this issue is the battery offset tables/values in the ROM - which compensates for voltage changes by changing the injector on/off time in order to achieve the same target AFR.
Old Jun 4, 2013 | 07:25 PM

I don't really turn my a/c on, in the north east, i'm used to scorching hot temperatures. I used to have a 1000cc car in my country and you had to turn the a/c off while going uphill You either get cool air or go uphill cant do both! I don't like the a/c taking power from the engine, just open your windows am im good. I should turn it on to check to see it works as now you made me curious when was the last time I checked! maybe used it as a defogger
Old Jun 5, 2013 | 08:24 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by klattr1
Does it do the same thing when your headlights are on? If so, what can possibly cause this issue is the battery offset tables/values in the ROM - which compensates for voltage changes by changing the injector on/off time in order to achieve the same target AFR.
I really, really doubt that this is the problem. At most, my voltage drops by .2 when the AC first kicks in. Even at idle (which is always the lowest voltage to start with).
Old Jun 5, 2013 | 09:40 AM
Evolved Member

I have noticed it is much harder to start off with the AC on, I generally try to just go windows down in the city. Then again, I rarely use my ac unless my wife is in the car.
Old Jun 6, 2013 | 08:51 AM
Evolved Member

No problems here, my car still idles and drives smooth as stock whether the A/C is on or off.
Old Jun 6, 2013 | 08:19 PM
Evolving Member

Another semi related note, does anyone else's A/C compressor kick on and off excessively when the engine is idling and you're not driving? It seems like it comes on for about 8 seconds and then off for about 8 seconds over and over again. Been like that since I bought it 5 years ago and still blows as cold as ever
Old Jun 6, 2013 | 09:17 PM
Evolved Member

Is it the compressor kicking in and out, or is it the fan?

When the car isn't moving, the fan kicking in and out is normal and efficient.
Old Jun 7, 2013 | 06:43 AM
Evolved Member

It's not just displacement either. My Cobra's DOHC V8 was a *dog* with the AC on. The Evo has more manners than that car with the air on. Cobra would be dead in the water until 3250 and lag city before that. Flooring it would do nothing but bog until it got spinning a little faster.

But I agree driving in the heat with the AC on sucks... I wish there was a decent electric solution for just one person that didn't draw from the belt.

Quick Reply: AC driving quality