Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Hit a deer today on the way to Hyperfest...

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2013, 04:21 AM
Evolving Member

Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts
We have kangaroos in Australia that do similar damage. And they're ****in' everywhere! At dusk or night its worse. They are so stupid!
Anyway, hope you get your evo back to A1 condition asap.
Old Jun 21, 2013, 05:31 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
LOL, just got off the phone with the body shop and asked them not to mount the front plate holder, they were like "Ok?"
Old Jun 21, 2013, 10:24 AM
Evolved Member

I officially hate the Ford Focus. And I'm stuck taking this pos up to Ocean City over the weekend....
Old Jun 21, 2013, 07:23 PM
Evolved Member

Watch really closely in full screen, it looks like the deer exploded and splashed everywhere, or am I seeing it wrong?

Wut?

Last edited by Iowa999; Jun 22, 2013 at 09:12 AM.
Old Jun 22, 2013, 11:39 AM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mshilto89
LOL, just got off the phone with the body shop and asked them not to mount the front plate holder, they were like "Ok?"
Good thing you did. Those three holes are ridiculous.

I officially hate the Ford Focus. And I'm stuck taking this pos up to Ocean City over the weekend....
It's actually not a bad car. You should get good MPGs, at least.
Old Jun 23, 2013, 06:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just cried a little inside, thank god you two are okay!
Old Jun 23, 2013, 07:58 AM
Evolved Member

I just had an incident with a small deer last week. It put a few small creases on my drivers door. I was so pissed since it only had less than 1000 miles on the odo.

Back on the topic, your car looks easily fixable. No frame damage, just cosmetic shi*. And good kill by the way.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:46 AM

Ouch that sucks.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:10 PM
Hail to the Beard

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts
It's not Wed or Thrs yet, but have you by chance got your car back?
Old Jun 26, 2013, 12:52 PM
Evolved Member

Talked to the body shop guys today and now they're saying that they're waiting on the front passenger side door trim. Said that its on back order but they're trying to get the car to me tm, and then when the piece gets in, I can just stop by and they'll fix it for me. I have a car show this weekend so I'm hoping I can get the car back ASAP.
Old Jun 26, 2013, 01:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Yup, hit a deer today, first time ever... Was on the back roads in WV less than 10 minutes from Hyperfest and coming around a bend at between 40-45 mph, when a 115-120 doe jumped out in the middle of the turn. Clutch in, hard on the brakes, jerked the wheel a little because I didn't want a head on collision, but not so much that I put it in the ditch. Huge pita and pretty much ruined my entire day, not to mention waiting 3 hours for a tow in the heat/sun with no shade.

Thing that I noticed that are busted'
-passenger side quarter panel
-both passenger side doors
-front bumper
-front passenger side window
-hood is bent up and likely un-salvageable
-passenger side headlight and fog
-radiator overflow tank came unbolted from the mount

I'm probably missing a lot, but the car seemed fine mechanically. I drove it about a 1/4 mile before I could safely pull off the road. It figures, the one time I drive conservatively this would happen... I'm really crossing my fingers and hoping its not a total loss, but I won't find out until Mon-Tue.

I will admit at first I was super worried about my wife, then pissed/angry/scared, and in the end, I cried like a little girl... We were both ok with the exception of a few scratches from the glass shattering and blowing inside (passenger window was up at the time) but we're ok for the most part, and that's all that matters.

On to the pictures, and that brown smudge just below the window, yeah, that's poop, I hit her so hard, she pooped herself.

And yes, the wing survived....
that'll buff right out
Old Jun 26, 2013, 02:19 PM
Evolving Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
That's two deer at Hyperfest. During the Sunday rally competition, one of the rally drivers met up with a deer too.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 01:10 PM
Evolved Member

Well, got the car back yesterday, still have a couple issues with it right now. Mainly the body panels aren't lining up correctly and its driving me nuts. Not to mention one of the headlights is new and the other is pretty faded, so I'm gonna see if they'll fix that too. Over all, the car is really good. I'm just happy to have it back, not so happy that I have to take it back again next week.

Best part is, no more Ford Focus!!! I'll have pics up soon.
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:12 PM
Evolving Member

Thats great so the shop will take care of the alignment issues next week? I know how annoying it can get when the body panels just dont look right
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:41 PM
Evolved Member

So here are some crappy phone pics. Car and paint looks GREAT, however there are a few thing that need to be fixed up. Here's my list so far.

-There is a paint scuff that is pretty bad on the hood
-The hood vent, the one on the passenger side is bent, and the vent is not sitting flush on the hood like the drivers side is. Odds are when the impact occurred, it bent a part of the hood
-The hood is not lined up properly, and it is VERY noticeable, its probably sticking up a solid .6-.7 cm
-There is a TON of gap underneath both headlights from when they re-attached the bumper
-The passenger side window does not roll down all the way
-You can tell the difference in the old/new headlight/fog, I'm going to ask if they can maybe buff the old one for me to get it to match up.
-The body shop did their best at vacuuming the car out,. but there are still a lot of small shards laying around. (not AS big of a deal)

That's it so far, I am still waiting on the interior trim piece for the front passenger door, which should be in sometime next week, the shop said they'd comp me with a new Kia Optima turbo while its in the shop getting fixed, so that'll be good, no expense out of pocket. Overall I'd say my experience has been pretty great so far with them, and aside from the minor issues with the panel re-alignment, that's the only thing bugging me really.
Attached Thumbnails Hit a deer today on the way to Hyperfest...-car-1.jpg   Hit a deer today on the way to Hyperfest...-car-2.jpg   Hit a deer today on the way to Hyperfest...-car-3.jpg   Hit a deer today on the way to Hyperfest...-car-4.jpg   Hit a deer today on the way to Hyperfest...-car-5.jpg  

Quick Reply: Hit a deer today on the way to Hyperfest...