Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

HID fog lights wont work

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HID fog lights wont work

Hey guys, just went to install an HID kit and the headlight were fine but the fog lights I couldn't get to turn on at all. all fuses are fine and when you hit the fog light switch in the car, the indicator light for the fog lights does come. I ran out of day light to go over the wiring again but anyone have any issues like this? its a DDM HID kit btw...
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolving Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Have u tried to flip the connection over? I had the same issue with my evo 8/9. I flipped the connection over and it worked perfect. When I mean flip, I mean the plug that goes from ballast to light. Try it to see what happens
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:03 PM
Evolved Member

DDM kits, though they dont say, you need to flip the polarity of the plug that connects into the headlight. Just switch the wires and it'll work. I had to do it on my DDM kit that I got for my tundra.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
DDM kits, though they dont say, you need to flip the polarity of the plug that connects into the headlight. Just switch the wires and it'll work. I had to do it on my DDM kit that I got for my tundra.
when you say switch the wires that connect into the headlight. you mean the one that goes from the ddm harness into the bulb harness? theirs a connector that has a red and black wire on each end. is that the one I need to flip? or the plug from the ddm harness to the factory harness plug? or the one from bulb to ballast?

Last edited by GearHead899; Jul 18, 2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jul 18, 2013, 10:01 PM
Evolved Member

Correct you need to flip the black and red wires. I believe both sides connect the same, you dont run black to black and red to red you want to run red to black and black to red. Sounds backwards, and it is, but it works haha. You flip the cable coming of the ballast to the bulb.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:42 AM
Evolving Member

Have u tried to flip the connection over? I had the same issue with my evo 8/9. I flipped the connection over and it worked perfect. When I mean flip, I mean the plug that goes from ballast to light. Try it to see what happens
This happened to me as well. After researching i found out that this is very common with "universal" kits. I flipped the plug from the ballast to the bulb and it worked
Old Jul 19, 2013, 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by Svendiesel
Correct you need to flip the black and red wires. I believe both sides connect the same, you dont run black to black and red to red you want to run red to black and black to red. Sounds backwards, and it is, but it works haha. You flip the cable coming of the ballast to the bulb.
ook sounds good. ill flip the black and red wires. it figures its those two that need to be flipped. for some reason those connectors wouldn't line up so I had to cut out the connectors and hard wire them guess ill have to hard wire them again lol thanks man! ill let you know how I make out
Old Jul 22, 2013, 04:20 PM

STILL NO LUCK! I tried swapping the plug from bulb to ballast... nothing. I tried swapping the black and red wire connector on the wiring harness portion of the harness they give you that goes from the battery terminals to the bulb harness. Nothing. then I treid it with both switched.... nothing. Am I missing something? btw I do have the headlight and fog harness on a common power source and a common ground source. I don't think that would screw with it, would it??
Old Jul 22, 2013, 05:44 PM
Evolved Member

I just did my gf's HID's yesterday, I got her a DDM kit.

The bulb itself should have come with the 2 primary wires that go to the ballast directly and an adapter cable thats kind of bonded to the main wires with a big rubber grommet. That extension cable goes to the cars main light bulb harness first, and then plugs into the ballast in the appropriate location.

The kicker is this, the female end of the extension cable, you need to pop the pins out of that end with a small philips head screw driver and simply put the red one where the black one was and the black one where the red one was. Then, plug it in normally so that the clips connect as theyre supposed to and you should be all set.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 06:19 PM

sorry but im getting really confused by what plug you are talking about lol do you have a picture of it? or can doodle up a crappy diagram in paint or something real quik lol sorry, im just getting increasingly confused
Old Jul 22, 2013, 06:54 PM
Evolved Member

Your kit may be different haha, but this is how mine came on my Tundra for the low and fogs and on my gf's low beams. All were different bulb types, but same set up. So hopefully yours is the same.

In the attached photo, I circled what you need to focus on. This is the extension cable Im speaking of. It goes from the car's original bulb harness to the ballast. Where the arrow is pointing, simply switch the wire positions. Use a small philips head screw driver to release the tiny clips inside to release each individual wires metal pin, and pull the wires out and put the black where the red was and the red where the black was. Then, plug everything in like normal. Basically, instead of red connecting to red and black to black, the black connects to red and red connects to black. Cross them.
Attached Thumbnails HID fog lights wont work-0420091446.jpg  

Last edited by Svendiesel; Jul 22, 2013 at 06:57 PM.