Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: which evo x to pick gsr or mr and reason/complaints
GSR
61.68%
MR
38.32%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

which model to pick? evo x gsr or MR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2013, 12:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think my heart wants a manual (gsr) 'cause I am always using my shifters (stick and paddles), but I made the decision purely on my commute experience. I'm getting soft in my old age: stop-n-go = MR

A single red MR badge (after debadging) is worth the extra 10k :-) (Not sure how much more the MR is - could be less than 10k)
Old Jul 28, 2013, 08:37 AM

GSR. I never liked clutchless shifting
Old Jul 28, 2013, 09:05 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's more to the MR if you get into self tuning. (As in you tune it, not paying someone).

There's many more tables, issues with shift-knock and overboost while changing gears, and a few extra "variables" to slide into the right spot to get the tune perfect. It's basically like tuning a GSR but when done you have to adjust the tune for the trans which sometimes re-introduces knock or makes you dial-down the tune to make the trans happy.

This is however a moot point when paying a tuner, they've figured it out for the most part.
Old Jul 30, 2013, 10:35 PM

MR! perfect shifts. most sports cars are being made with dual clutch systems now
Old Aug 1, 2013, 04:44 PM
Evolving Member

As previously stated it's driver preference and truly depends on your intended use of the car. No trim is "better" than the other, however, certain features are only available with the MR. I wanted a quick daily driver that would be good year-round (with snow in mind). I don't go to the track or AutoX but wouldn't mind being able to at some point. The MR gets my vote but I think it's overpriced which is why I got the SE. With the GSR you are getting more bang for your buck. I feel like the MR is for the slightly more conservative crowd. Notice how I didn't say "mature" crowd, because if you're driving an Evo, there's a kid inside with a need for speed.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 05:06 PM
Maz

Is the 5th gear in the GSR that bad on highway?
Old Aug 4, 2013, 02:00 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Maz
Is the 5th gear in the GSR that bad on highway?
It's the same sh*t man. I have an MR and I can tell you that I want a GSR so bad. I barely drive at 70 and my car is around 3000 rpm in 6th gear. It's pretty loud and there's road noise and wind noise. Honestly, the GSR is the better choice.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 04:34 PM
Maz

Originally Posted by surensm
It's the same sh*t man. I have an MR and I can tell you that I want a GSR so bad. I barely drive at 70 and my car is around 3000 rpm in 6th gear. It's pretty loud and there's road noise and wind noise. Honestly, the GSR is the better choice.
Nice I was leaning GSR but was kind of in the middle. Def. going the GSR route now haha
Old Aug 4, 2013, 04:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Maz
Nice I was leaning GSR but was kind of in the middle. Def. going the GSR route now haha
Yeah, not to mention you get more whp (like 20 more) and better epa and most importantly, a clutch. And it's much more mod friendly than the MR.
Old Aug 4, 2013, 07:39 PM

I chose GSR because it weighs less and can handle much more torque with a clutch kit. SST=6 grand to fix....no thank you.
Old Aug 5, 2013, 02:34 PM

Mr
Old Aug 5, 2013, 02:58 PM
Evolving Member

MR - and loving it every day!

DD car

Lots of stop and go to and from work (45 minutes minimum)
Plus I love gadgets! TC SST is the most expensive gadget I own, use and enjoy daily
Old Aug 5, 2013, 05:54 PM

I've had my MR for almost a year now and it's been great. I'd go MR unless you want the option of a 6 speed manual.
Old Aug 6, 2013, 06:08 PM

Stick shift all the way!!! I would pick the GSR!!!!
Old Aug 6, 2013, 08:12 PM

MR, it's perfect for what I need the car to be. A fun daily driver that I could track once in a while and still have fun. But it does get annoying trying to explain to people who know nothing about fast modern cars about the dual clutch transmission so I don't even bother. I'd love to own a GTR in the future and have the same annoyance though.

Quick Reply: which model to pick? evo x gsr or MR