Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: which evo x to pick gsr or mr and reason/complaints
GSR
61.68%
MR
38.32%
Voters: 107. You may not vote on this poll

which model to pick? evo x gsr or MR

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2013, 06:54 PM
EvoM Community Team Leader

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
which model to pick? evo x gsr or MR

just the title says, which model to pick or did pick and did you like your choice and why? since its been 2008 since the first evo x, are there any complaints on the mr tcsst?
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Both have ups and downs, from my understanding the MR's trans needs to be upgraded if your going for decent power but the GSR is not a highway car, what I wouldn't give for a 6th gear ! Lol
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:17 AM

Originally Posted by |V8SRSLO
Both have ups and downs, from my understanding the MR's trans needs to be upgraded if your going for decent power but the GSR is not a highway car, what I wouldn't give for a 6th gear ! Lol
TRUTH! kinda embarassing going 4k RPM at 80
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:44 AM

I would say GSR, the MR seemed boring to me with the SST tranny. Although I'd like to have the nav nd the bbs rims
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:50 AM

I test drove both and ultimately went with a MR because I do a lot of highway driving to get to various car events and it gave me peace of mind to know I wasnt reving the bejesus out of the car on the highway.

If your overall goal is just to have a fun track/drive around the city car with loads of power, then the GSR is your best bet, but if you want a commuter car that can be taken to the track from time to time then the MR is what you want IMO.

I miss shifting and honestly I would have gotten the stick if it came with a 6th gear but I havent regretted getting the SST trans. Very quick shifts in S-Sport mode and I love the look of the BBS wheels along with the trunk lip wing.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have bought 2 GSR's but was tempted to purchase the MR. If the MR was the same price as the GSR and if it came with the high spoiler I would be rocking the MR. I never understood the MR hate that some have.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 07:42 AM

I guess it goes to driver preference
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:46 AM

I'd still go with GSR. It provided me more pure driving experience by shifting myself.
Old Jul 23, 2013, 05:50 PM

I need three pedals for my driving pleasure...I would never even consider the MR just because of that fact
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:26 PM

GSR even though the stock clutch sucks.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:42 PM

I went with the GSR for all the same reasons above. I did however get it fully loaded - sunroof, nav, leather, heated seats, etc. So pretty much an MR without the BBS and suspension upgrade. Been very happy with my choice except for highway driving, but it is what it is.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GSR because one gets enormous pleasure out of rowing through the gears without the aid of a computer. Nothing wrong with the MR as it shifts very quickly and probably can shift faster than most people, but still, there is a certain satisfaction in making smooth upshifts and rev matching to downshift.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:55 PM
Evolving Member

First, most Evo owners do not modify their cars over 450 lb.ft torque, and therefore the unreliability of the twin clutch transmission is not really a problem.

Also, most Evo owners buy the Evo as a daily driver, not a time attack car to shave off seconds on a race track, therefore, the twin clutch transmission's ability to have more time putting down power is not really an advantage.

Therefore, in reality, it all comes down to the driving experience itself. As most people can have more control over the car with a manual, GSR should be the one to go for the masses.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 01:57 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Checkpoint24
I need three pedals for my driving pleasure...I would never even consider the MR just because of that fact
All the way!

I find if I drive a clutch-pedal-less car for a while, I forget how to handle the clutch pedal altogether.

Originally Posted by Mischief1281
I went with the GSR for all the same reasons above. I did however get it fully loaded - sunroof, nav, leather, heated seats, etc. So pretty much an MR without the BBS and suspension upgrade. Been very happy with my choice except for highway driving, but it is what it is.
Keep two sets of these in your car?

Last edited by Serbj; Jul 24, 2013 at 01:59 PM. Reason: adding content
Old Jul 25, 2013, 01:30 AM

I would say GSR, the MR seemed boring to me with the SST tranny.

Quick Reply: which model to pick? evo x gsr or MR