Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My evo x journey

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2013, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up My evo x journey

Hey guys i just want to share my experience that i had with my Evo x. I purchased a brand new 2014 ww Evo x gsr with 20 miles on it. I traded in a jeep srt8 , reason being that i was getting 9 mpg and to be honest i was "bored" with the handling and only straight line capabilities of it. anyhow , After buying my car i knew right away that i would want to make this my own personal car and do everything the right way , Piece by Piece. *The mod bug began*. I called Ets and map performance and ordered: ets quiet exhaust and hfc, grimspeed ebc,works short shifter,ams gate selector ,cable and console bushings, swift springs and a cobb intake. After waiting patiently for all the parts to arrive i started to install the exhaust , intake ,and the short shifter with the bushings. The car began to feel a little more alive and also sounded amazing. The short shifter and bushings really helped out without the notchyness the car had ,etc 2nd gear grind, 3rd gear grind, reverse would not go in half the time. I started to like the car more and more. I took the rest of the parts to Rob and Dave at Fully Built inc ,and also decided on getting it Dyno/Street tuned through them. Once the springs were installed the car looked fantastic and also the handling was night and day. I literally can take turns at speeds i would not even think about it any other car and its way to easy lol . First Rob street tuned it but he could not get the boost past 24 psi because of problems with it being a 2014 and the grimspeed. Next day we went to the dyno to finish up the tune . Pull after pull we tried to put the boost from 24psi to 28psi but the ebc would not let it happen. Took us 2 hours and a lot of attempts but we had to settle at 24psi 320whp 350wtq. After the tune the car felt unbelievable . Every gear pulled hard and everything was very smooth . Hoenstly would recommend these guys to anyone who needs work done in NY. A day or 2 later i got a ses light and my car was put into limp mode. I called my tuner and he drove to my house to fix the problem. He had to disable some sensors that were messing with the car. Since then everything has been perfectly fine. My next thing i want to do is get a mbc and a retune from him so i can run 28psi and gain so more power throughout the power band . To my surprise he said he would do it for free since 2014s are so new that it was a learning process for everyone. After that i am going to go e85 and get a new fuel pump, injectors,and a retune. Sorry for the long write-up but it has been a journey over the last 3 weeks and if anyone has any questions , i can happily answer them. This has to be the best car i have ever owned (ive owned a 500whp evo viii, 350z ,srt8 jeep and a ralliart) not because of any single reason but because of everything put together, the transmission to the seats to the power and torque and handling. It really is a beautiful machine. ( I had a hard time uploading pictures on here, of course only the crappy ones where able to work lol)
Attached Thumbnails My evo x journey-img_0570.jpg   My evo x journey-img_0645.jpg   My evo x journey-img_0589.jpg   My evo x journey-img_0604.jpg   My evo x journey-img_0640.jpg  

Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:10 AM

looks great. glad you're enjoying. id like to see increases at 28lbs
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The grimspeed has issues on the 2014?
Old Aug 9, 2013, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Kendogg
The grimspeed has issues on the 2014?
Yea for some reason ecu flash and the grim speed doesn't work properly for 2014s . My tuner is waiting for someone to come out with a patch for it so he can raise the boost instead of me buying a mbc.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 02:40 PM

I would wait for them to fix the grimspeed for the 2014. I'm at 26psi with no issues but I have a 2012. I think the grimspeed is suppose to be more efficient than a mbc too.
Old Aug 9, 2013, 03:01 PM

How exciting for you, reading it gets me pumped! I need to read about this grimspeed.

Keep updating the thread. ~Cheers!
Old Aug 9, 2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by Windforce18
I would wait for them to fix the grimspeed for the 2014. I'm at 26psi with no issues but I have a 2012. I think the grimspeed is suppose to be more efficient than a mbc too.
Yea it is better but with a mbc I think if my tuner puts the boost cut at a reasonable psi I should be safe from overboosting in cooler weather and boost creep . Any vets have any advice or fixes that can help me out . To be honest I love my new tune . Boost comes on so hard and strong at like 3500 Rpms that when I'm not going wot and just cruising sometimes i boost hard by mistake ,making all my passengers heads hit the back of the headrests lol
Old Aug 9, 2013, 07:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nycrusader1914
Yea it is better but with a mbc I think if my tuner puts the boost cut at a reasonable psi I should be safe from overboosting in cooler weather and boost creep . Any vets have any advice or fixes that can help me out . To be honest I love my new tune . Boost comes on so hard and strong at like 3500 Rpms that when I'm not going wot and just cruising sometimes i boost hard by mistake ,making all my passengers heads hit the back of the headrests lol
Stick with the 3port. Im sure your tuner will solve the problem soon