Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

rear o2 sensor stripped

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2013, 01:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rear o2 sensor stripped

Hey, I want to put on my test pipe so I can install my wideband on the extra bung. Problem is the o2 sensor wont come out. I already took it to a shop and they said its most likely stripped...I've done some researching and people say you can unplug the sensor underneath the seat and just remove the sensor and your car will still be ok. Is it ok to do this? I want to install my wideband but I cant because the stupid sensor is stuck!!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 03:19 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
You can with the proper tune. Talk to your tuner about it.
Old Sep 30, 2013, 07:45 AM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Get a good set of vice grips, lock them down on the nut and break it loose. Use a **** ton of PB blaster first though
Old Sep 30, 2013, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Are the threads stripped? Huh? or the wrench flats?

If it is just 'stuck on' cut the wire (and metal end off if required to use a deep well impact socket (you may want to beat a SAE sized socket that 'just fits over' and turn up the powah! (impact (or cheater bar) it off...)

Lastly, weld an old wrench to the sensor and get it that way...

x2 on the soak with PB BLaster first!
Old Sep 30, 2013, 05:09 PM

ok, i will try again using just brute force then. I hope i dont brake the sensor
Old Oct 1, 2013, 08:35 PM

Lol.. I installed a test pipe last night and the o2 didn't make it. Threads were trashed. Was going to try and re thread it but everyone in town said it wasn't possible.. And the correct die size is only sold in a kit for $100. Might as well just get a Walker o2. I unplugged mine and have the CEL, from what I've read it's fine to just run it like that. Also my gaskets are leaking :facepalm: going to be a long weekend... Hope yours went better than mine! Good luck!
Old Oct 1, 2013, 09:25 PM

If that's the case, can I just leave the sensor on the cat and unplug it? And maybe buy a used o2 sensor on eBay and use that on the test pipe and plug it back in? Would that work?
Old Oct 2, 2013, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by jordan313
If that's the case, can I just leave the sensor on the cat and unplug it? And maybe buy a used o2 sensor on eBay and use that on the test pipe and plug it back in? Would that work?
Thats what I'm doing lol... All that rear o2 does is tell your car how the cat is working... Yes, you will pop a light most likely as soon as you drive further than 5 miles but yeah, I dont see why not. I'm searching for an o2 sensor as well, fortunately there is no emissions in MI, but I'm no where near a tuner It looks like advanced auto sells one that's just a plug in for 90$.. Might go that route.
Old Oct 4, 2013, 03:12 PM

Like it was stated in the post above me it is fine to remove it for now, it won't affect your car in any way other than maybe a CEL popping up on the dash. You'll need to get a replacement however. In CA you won't pass inspection without it there. The rear 02 can be disabled in your ROM but you still won't pass inspection. You can turn off the CEL also but it will still cause you to fail inspection. With the test pipe you may need to get a spacer to avoid throwing a CEL. I use a Vibrant spacer with interchangeable jets to control flow to the sensor, it works great! Used it with both a HFC and a test pipe and I've passed inspection with it.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 08:51 PM

My rear O2 sensor just was stripped on my exhaust install. I bought a new one.
Old Oct 8, 2013, 09:01 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by khaydin
Like it was stated in the post above me it is fine to remove it for now, it won't affect your car in any way other than maybe a CEL popping up on the dash. You'll need to get a replacement however. In CA you won't pass inspection without it there. The rear 02 can be disabled in your ROM but you still won't pass inspection. You can turn off the CEL also but it will still cause you to fail inspection. With the test pipe you may need to get a spacer to avoid throwing a CEL. I use a Vibrant spacer with interchangeable jets to control flow to the sensor, it works great! Used it with both a HFC and a test pipe and I've passed inspection with it.
That is false. There is a section where you can disable the sensor and the code and it still reads like everything is "a ok". A quick search will yield you the information you seek. My car is a 2013 and has this done. Passes a plug in no problem......
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:34 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heat the surrounding area up with a torch and give it a shot. There is a good chance the sensor will be stripped and you will have to run a tap through the O2 bung, but it should come out. This is pretty common.
Old Oct 14, 2013, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by 05OrangeSS
That is false. There is a section where you can disable the sensor and the code and it still reads like everything is "a ok". A quick search will yield you the information you seek. My car is a 2013 and has this done. Passes a plug in no problem......
Nothing I said is false. Yes, there is a section in your ROM (if you're lucky to have a ROM where it is defined) where you can change the ready/not ready/supported/unsupported for various emissions equipment. In most cases it's easier to just run a mechanical fix.

People get tuned by tuners who are out of state all the time. A tuner not in your state won't know the details of your state's inspections unless you point out the requirements. Most tuners will just disable the CEL and leave the rear O2 on. That will be a fail in a strict state most likely if you have a HFC or test pipe. Disabling the CEL is like putting a piece of tape over the light on the dash, it's still there.

People in MA are actually getting caught using the Readiness patches, they're disabling things that are needed or enabling things that the car doesn't have. Then they get tuned by someone who knows how it should be set and they get flagged because there was a difference in supported/not supported equipment between this year and last year's inspections.
Old Oct 15, 2013, 03:53 AM

Should I just buy a used o2 sensor and use that on my test pipe? Will that work? Leave my oem one on the cat while unplugging it and plug in the used one. Are the o2 sensors the same though?
Old Oct 15, 2013, 05:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
So why not buy an o2 bung off ebay for $5.00 and have it put anywhere you want and run your wide band off that and leave the OE stuff alone... simple solution.

Quick Reply: rear o2 sensor stripped