Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

X MR Owners (okay GSR too) - How does your x feel after mods

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My butt dyno, and head being thrown back to the headrest says that the Cobb AP, Exhaust and SF Intake made enough a difference for me to notice. I keep telling myself this is how I expected the car to feel when I bought it day one.

Looking forward to bigger power adders in the future.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 11:57 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Evo stock is VERY, VERY tamed. Night and day is an easy way of explaining it. The GSR i have currently is my 2nd evo. I had a '10 MR Touring 371whp on 91.

What you could do is to start things slowly... Just toss a TBE (turbo back exhaust, full.), boost controller and pro-tune it. Then work on suspension (whether it be just lowering springs or coilovers along with AT LEAST rear sway bar and front sway bar), drive it around, enjoy it and then do the whole 9 yards, turbo/injectors/manifolds/TB/fuel pump etc for real power gains.

When you experience each stage, it will always be night and day compared to your previous stage. The more mods you do the more untamed of a beast the evo becomes. Aftermarket turbos are sadly not as fast spooling as the stock turbo one (housing/compressor wheel/turbine etc are larger on aftermarket ones, even if they do have the same "size" as stock turbo thus later spool) but they do pack some power with em. Just like everything else, its a game of pro's and con's.

Driving a stock evo while being great, it lacks a lot. Full TBE, BSC (boost controller) and pro tune is how the car should come from factory and that would be a good "stock" car.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 01:23 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
The real issue is that you get used to the power. It doesn't matter if you take it to 400, 500, 700... eventually you will want more. You have to decide in advance what will be enough.
He hit the nail right on the head. Whenever anyone asks me "Just how much power is enough for you?" The answer is always "just a little bit more..." and that's because the car always feels awesome after you get tuned for new mods... for about three days, and then you get used to it and need more.
Old Nov 18, 2013, 01:51 PM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
OMG Panges sighting
Old Nov 18, 2013, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by razorlab
OMG Panges sighting
LOL. Carebear sighting!!! Yeah... Im considering copying you for my next car purchase so I've been lurking the evo forums... =P
Old Nov 19, 2013, 04:52 AM
Evolving Member

What idiot would modify a stock Evo anyways?
Old Nov 19, 2013, 11:39 AM

Jumping to a larger turbo and supporting modifications really got me loving this car - stock form, or even slightly tuned, is rather lethargic. Came from a built STi and was wondering when I'd really start to enjoy it.