Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

X MR Owners (okay GSR too) - How does your x feel after mods

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2013, 11:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
X MR Owners (okay GSR too) - How does your x feel after mods

Howdy,

I've been lurking since I bought my 2013 MR (5k miles now) in March (bay area, CA). I am guilty of calling FFTEC to get quotes on some performance changes, but reluctant to pull the trigger.

There are lots of numbers posted with regard to hp, but not a lot of talk on how it "feels" from stock.

How do you describe the "feeling" in driving your modified MR from stock?

I don't want to discriminate against GSRs - feel free to join...

Include hp in post.

Cheers!
Old Nov 6, 2013, 03:06 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Others have already said it, but it's a night and day difference. It feels faster when I am not even in boost (may just be my imagination though). And then when you hit full boost, you better hold on.

I modded my current Evo at around 2k miles. But I had a 2012 for about 15 months and left it completely stock.

I think if you mod your car you wont regret it, that is unless you need warranty work. My hp/tq is in my sig
Old Nov 6, 2013, 05:54 AM

mods

There are a ton of mode that can be done but you have to make a pretty good jump in them to get that seat of the pants feeling change. Base line for the evo is around 240hp to the wheels. You really need to get above 320 to really feel it. The next jump will be be around 440hp. The best way to do your mode in my opinion is in stages. Get your normal bolt on done. Then strengthen the drive trans. Do a Cobb tune. Then get into fuel engine and turbo. Get a Dyno tune. Now don't get me wrong. Every mod you do will make your car more responsive and feel better. The hp jumps are pretty good but its harder the get the torque up. That's going to give you that solid pull feeling. Anything to lighten up the car helps well to. I want to say (chime in if wrong)1\10 of a second for every 100lb taken off the car in a 1/4 mile run. I'm running 536whp 385tlb gsr. There is a lot to talk about in mods so this is kinda short and sweet.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:42 AM
Evolved Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
When I went from stock to an AP stage 1 tune I really felt the difference. This was roughly a 50hp gain (from 230 to 280whp on a mustang). Everything I've done since then has been more incremental and therefore I don't get that seat of the pants rush like that first jump. Car is currently at 320 mustang (360 dynojet), and I know it is significantly faster then stock and I am happy with the performance of it.

The real issue is that you get used to the power. It doesn't matter if you take it to 400, 500, 700... eventually you will want more. You have to decide in advance what will be enough.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 09:49 AM
EvoM Guru

Received 1,056 Likes on 764 Posts
Biggest change for the SST cars is, when properly tuned, they are SOOOOO much more responsive over all and especially in normal daily driving situations at part throttle, from a stop, etc. The throttle, torque and shift mapping stock leaves a lot to be desired.

I can throw on a MR base map if you like so you can get a feel for it. I'm happy to help an enthusiast and would flash it on whenever you have the time and are in the area. Feel free to search on my previous posts/threads if you are weary.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by razorlab
I can throw on a MR base map if you like so you can get a feel for it. I'm happy to help an enthusiast and would flash it on whenever you have the time and are in the area. Feel free to search on my previous posts/threads if you are weary.
I'll take a look this eve. Thanks for the offer, I will PM.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 03:34 PM

Although I wasn't necessarily looking for guidance or a 'how-to', that is what I love about this forum. People jump in even though it has been discussed 100 times before.

Thanks to those that posted. Hope to see a few more personal experiences...
Old Nov 6, 2013, 04:33 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by ddawg1130
When I went from stock to an AP stage 1 tune I really felt the difference. This was roughly a 50hp gain (from 230 to 280whp on a mustang). Everything I've done since then has been more incremental and therefore I don't get that seat of the pants rush like that first jump. Car is currently at 320 mustang (360 dynojet), and I know it is significantly faster then stock and I am happy with the performance of it.

The real issue is that you get used to the power. It doesn't matter if you take it to 400, 500, 700... eventually you will want more. You have to decide in advance what will be enough.
Could not have said it better.
It's a constant chase,because someone is always faster.
Plus let's face it, this car with the right mods & a tune is force to reckon with.
Mods are like drugs, once your hooked that's it.
I told myself stage 2 level & that's it.
Yea until I got beat at the track by .3, now I feel like I have to upgrade.,
500 hp should be ample, I'm almost 400 now.,
I though 100hp over stock I'm done.
Guess not.,

Last edited by Risky Guy; Nov 6, 2013 at 04:37 PM.
Old Nov 6, 2013, 04:36 PM

My 2014 GSR has 2400 miles on it.

It has been stage 3 for almost a month and about 800 miles

Stock it was slow and quiet

Now its loud and less slow(we have several 700+hp AMG cars at my work, my evo will always feel "slow" to me so dont get discouraged by my comments )

Mods were worth every penny, imo.
Old Nov 7, 2013, 02:42 PM
Evolving Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With an MR, keep in mind you can go to 350, maybe 400 WHP without needing to do much to the TC-SST. Beyond that, you're looking at new clutches and steels, and some additional cooling if you're going to track it. That's a big additional expense.

I'm stock MR like OP, so I'm also interested in the responses.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 06:34 AM

Had a 2013 Evo MR and did minor mods to it within a month of having it... Pretty noticeable difference with full exhaust, cobb intake, cobb accessport, cobb bpv, and tuned by Agile Automotive. No issues afters mods... Not as quick as my previous car (06 built wrx) but still very fun to drive.
Old Nov 11, 2013, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by razorlab
Biggest change for the SST cars is, when properly tuned, they are SOOOOO much more responsive over all and especially in normal daily driving situations at part throttle, from a stop, etc. The throttle, torque and shift mapping stock leaves a lot to be desired.

Free Basemap from Bryan!!! DO it OP.. you wont regret it.. 100 times out of 99 Bryan knows his ****
Old Nov 13, 2013, 06:57 AM
Evolving Member

Biggest difference for me isn't power (+60 hp from stock only tune) on my MR, it's the way my SST feels.
Now under 3000 rpm there isn't a single car I've tryed as smooth as mine. Incredible, no torque converter system can keep up with this kind of smoothness.
Over 3000 rpm it's different but when I look for power I don't regret at all hard gear changes.

Thanks to Beeble.
Old Nov 13, 2013, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by Fede
Biggest difference for me isn't power (+60 hp from stock only tune) on my MR, it's the way my SST feels.
Now under 3000 rpm there isn't a single car I've tryed as smooth as mine. Incredible, no torque converter system can keep up with this kind of smoothness.
Over 3000 rpm it's different but when I look for power I don't regret at all hard gear changes.

Thanks to Beeble.
What mods do you have?
Old Nov 14, 2013, 03:06 AM
Evolving Member

Only tune and Grimmspeed 3port.

Quick Reply: X MR Owners (okay GSR too) - How does your x feel after mods