Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Engine whine

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2013, 06:12 PM
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Engine whine

I've searched. This is not the 'transfer case death noise'. The noise is not specific to any gear or accel/deccel condition. It is RPM based

The pitch of the whine goes up and down with RPM, regardless of vehicle's speed or gear selection. Due to not having a cat or muffler, the whine is most audible at low speeds and low/no throttle input. I cannot hear the whine (muchless myself think) when i've got the foot planted in normal acceleration due to the loudness of the exhaust. I think its also gotten worse over the last 5000 miles, and the noise intensity varies from day to day.

I took it to the dealer today but they could not replicate the noise. My car is at 29,600 miles so my waranty is going to be up within another fuel fill up. Also, i've got full exhaust and a 3port so getting something covered might be a doozy. I plan on doing the tranny/xfer case/front&rear diff fluid changes within the next week or two. Last engine oil change was at 25k. Filled with rotella T 15w40.

I took a video earlier but my phone is absolutely terrible. the sounds are all messed up on it, but hopefully you might be able to hear something in it. The noise is most noticable when i'm revving it at ~2k in the vid. (car was in neutral while revving)

I pray to god its something stupid like a pump or something. Also of note, i bought the car last april with 19k miles on it. Didn't hear the noise back then.

edit: i tried attatching the vid but the forums are telling me its too big. I have no idea how to change it.

Last edited by hispanicpanic; Nov 20, 2013 at 06:14 PM.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 06:26 PM
Sev
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2014 has a "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" type of noise only when in gear and driving and then drowns out with my exhaust in the higher RPM's. Both my 2011 and 2014 have wines while driving and it gets louder/quiet with accel/decel. Sounds normal to me.

Edit: 10000% sure it's not the T-Case.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 06:53 PM
Evolved Member

Also its probably important to note its not alternator whine coming through the speakers. THe noise happens when the radio is on or off, and happens regardless if the ac is on or off.

It's also not that siren whine that i've also found from searching.

also not that 5th gear whine i hear about in the MT's. I have the SST
Old Nov 20, 2013, 06:54 PM

Mine has done the since as long as I can remember. Definitely not transfer case - Mitsubishi told me it was normal.

Roll the windows down or get a carless exhaust - problem solved
Old Nov 20, 2013, 07:17 PM

Originally Posted by thenewcraze
Mine has done the since as long as I can remember. Definitely not transfer case - Mitsubishi told me it was normal.

Im sorry man but I thought this was funny.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 07:19 PM

I mean CATless. Wow. Texting and driving is awesome.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 07:39 PM
Evolved Member

How many miles do you have on your evo? And did you always notice it? I've only noticed it within the last few thousand miles. And i already have a catless exhaust /w no muffler. I can still hear it.
Old Nov 20, 2013, 07:55 PM

It started to notice it at around the 12K mark. I took it in then and was told it was normal. Searching around the forums yielded similar results. I have ~20K now.
Old Nov 21, 2013, 07:13 AM
Evolved Member

It started to notice it at around the 12K mark. I took it in then and was told it was normal. Searching around the forums yielded similar results. I have ~20K now.
So are we safe to assume its not a oil pump or water pump?
Old Nov 21, 2013, 07:20 AM

I've heard that some people have thought it was the oil pump. I do know that the noise seems to get better once the oil has been changed. When I was researching this, some people replaced the pump and the sound still remained.

Could be low/old transmission or differential fluid? You do have 30K and many recommend this be changed around that mark. I'm throwing Redline into mine this weekend.

I'm with you though - it seems like some days are "better" than others. High humidity days for me seems like it absolutely squeals. Could be my imagination though.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 07:28 AM
Evolved Member

I've heard that some people have thought it was the oil pump. I do know that the noise seems to get better once the oil has been changed. When I was researching this, some people replaced the pump and the sound still remained.

Could be low/old transmission or differential fluid? You do have 30K and many recommend this be changed around that mark. I'm throwing Redline into mine this weekend.

I'm with you though - it seems like some days are "better" than others. High humidity days for me seems like it absolutely squeals. Could be my imagination though.
I'll be doing that. Out of curiosity, what oil do you have in your car??? I have Rotella T 5w40. Its the full synthetic diesel oil.
Old Nov 22, 2013, 09:57 AM

I run the exact same oil. Have in my previous STis as well. Great oil.

For the transmission/differential I used the Redline cocktail. You can purchase from MAP in their fluids section.
Old Nov 23, 2013, 10:37 PM
Evolved Member

Well my theory is that perhaps the noise is from using diesel oil (not that it is worse than normal per se). Maybe all the added crap like friction modifiers in normal car oil make the 4b11 run quieter. We'll see.... This next oil change will be with rotella (i've already got a bunch). Then i'll test at 35k with normal mobil 1.
Old Nov 24, 2013, 04:28 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Sev
My 2014 has a "beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeep" type of noise only when in gear and driving and then drowns out with my exhaust in the higher RPM's. Both my 2011 and 2014 have wines while driving and it gets louder/quiet with accel/decel. Sounds normal to me.

Edit: 10000% sure it's not the T-Case.
Same thing with my 14 GSR. It comes from the engine compartment on the passenger side. I thought it was a belt or a tensioner.
Old Nov 25, 2013, 07:50 AM
Evolved Member

THose that have this engine noise can you please tell us what motor oil your using and exactly how many miles it has been???

Perhaps even what filter if you can remember. Some very fine filters might require extra pressure to get the oil to flow, perhaps making the oil pump work harder??????? Its just a thought.....

Quick Reply: Engine whine