Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How to Remove Driver Seat Slider Sensor

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2013 | 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

How to Remove Driver Seat Slider Sensor

I took out my stock driver's seat and I've been trying to get the slider sensor off so I can get the SRS light to go away. Anyone who has done this know the name of the tool that is used to remove the sensor? It seems to be a strangely shaped bolt and none of my current tools can get it off.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
Old Dec 4, 2013 | 03:18 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

-measure the ohm resistance of airbag assembly (female side of the plug)
-get a capacitor with that ohm load
-stick those capacitor leads into the male side of the plug (ECU side)
-????
-profit
Old Dec 4, 2013 | 03:34 PM
Evolved Member

I think that he or she is just asking how to remove it. It's simple, but non-obvious. You must pop the sixth bolt all the way off the slider and then it just falls off. This cost me a few minutes when swapping my driver's seat, too. You'll feel like an idiot when you get it. Feel free to ask that the thread be trashed at that point.

In other words, pull harder.
Old Dec 5, 2013 | 06:54 AM
Evolving Member

Thanks!
Old Dec 5, 2013 | 06:56 AM
Evolved Member

Just for clarity and to reward those who search, the seat-position sensor is not only held in place by some obvious bolts, but also one of the six bolts that holds the seat to the slider. This sixth bolt stays in place even after unscrewing it, held there by a lip on the end that gets stuck on a plastic shield. You must pull hard to remove it. The rest is then easy.
Old Dec 5, 2013 | 10:46 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I think that he or she is just asking how to remove it. It's simple, but non-obvious. You must pop the sixth bolt all the way off the slider and then it just falls off. This cost me a few minutes when swapping my driver's seat, too. You'll feel like an idiot when you get it. Feel free to ask that the thread be trashed at that point.

In other words, pull harder.
Iowa gettin all technical up in here
Old Dec 5, 2013 | 11:42 AM
Evolved Member

Well, it could be worse. I was almost expecting a "that's what she said" in response to my suggestion to simply "pull harder."
Old Dec 8, 2013 | 02:18 PM

Just for clarity and to reward those who search, the seat-position sensor is not only held in place by some obvious bolts, but also one of the six bolts that holds the seat to the slider. This sixth bolt stays in place even after unscrewing it, held there by a lip on the end that gets stuck on a plastic shield. You must pull hard to remove it. The rest is then easy.
I'm trying to do this, anytime know what tool I need to remove the bolts? Looks like a star- shaped tip..
/thanks
Old Dec 8, 2013 | 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Torx. Can't recall the size, but I want to say 27.
Old Dec 10, 2013 | 10:35 AM
Evolved Member

So I just installed bride and I just have the position sensor laying under the seat hooked up to the wire but laying on the carpet. Airbag will still work right just might not be the correct stage.
Old Dec 10, 2013 | 12:37 PM
Evolved Member

That's how mine is, too.

Without a piece of metal in the jaws of the sensor, the system will infer that you are all the way forward and will only deploy the first stage. That's my preference. If I'm going to have my glasses broken by something big and squishy hitting me in the face, it had better be an inner thigh.
Old Dec 11, 2013 | 08:38 AM
Evolved Member

I don't know if it's an age thing or risk aversion thing but I really don't care about airbags. I mean if they are working, that's great and I'm not going to go out of my way to make them not work, but it doesn't worry me driving around with them not working. I guess being 43 more than half my life was in cars without them and I'm still here. 1/4 of my life was without seat belts. Heck, it was normal just to sit on moms lap as little kids.

Also I was a damage appraiser for progressive insurance for 3 years after college. 99% of the cars I saw no airbag were deployed. People think they just go off. I have seen hoods bent almost in half and no airbag. Cars today are built to crumple to decrease the force on the body.

When I was a kid they were built like tanks which at one time people thought was good. "My old Chevy was ok but that Asain car was a total loss. Buy American!" Lol but really the Car that crumpled easier was, all things being even, safer for the occupants.

Or maybe I'm just messed up in the head and am too stupid to know I should "fear" certain things like car accidents without airbags.

That's how mine is, too.

Without a piece of metal in the jaws of the sensor, the system will infer that you are all the way forward and will only deploy the first stage. That's my preference. If I'm going to have my glasses broken by something big and squishy hitting me in the face, it had better be an inner thigh.
Old Dec 11, 2013 | 08:58 AM

Haha. I'm with you uscbryan. I used to stand up in the front seat of the car so I could see. Lucky to be alive lmao now. Both parents had lead feet. I remember. Getting into a wreck with mom in a black 79 firebird. Just like the bandits. Lmao thinking about that. Had a huge knot on top of my head from hitting the roof. I've probably brain damage. But hey f it .
Old Dec 11, 2013 | 12:56 PM
Evolved Member

Um. Smokey and the Bandit came out before 1979 and featured a 1976 car. I can just about tell you what row and seat I was in when I saw it the first time. And that's saying something, given what living through the 1970s did to human memory systems.

But I get your point. My mother's boyfriend from around that time had a Goat.
Old Dec 12, 2013 | 08:55 AM
Evolved Member

Yea my dad had a sand rail with a kids seat in the back and little 4 point belts. I was in the back at like 6 flying over the top of huge sand dunes in the dark. He pulled it with a 1970 something Chevy truck with a camper shell. I would lay on the floor in front of the seats to get warm from the heater. Other times I sat between his legs and he let me steer. Between those times I was crawling back into the camper shell to get him a beer. Lol kid and beer between his legs.

When we weren't in the desert I would challange my friends to build a ramp I couldn't jump on my bmx bike no helmet. Don't even think they had helmets for them back then. Or I would have my friends lay in front of the ramp to see how's many I could jump. Lol

Then he got rid of the buggy and bought a 21 foot jet boat and built a 500 in Chevy with close to 1000 hp with a huge NOS bump. I was driving that with just other 12 year olds at the river without the parents. Even figured out how to turn the NOS on.

Today we would be taken from our parents for that. But it was a blast. 11 years old with that much HP behind you was epic.

We are a little too safty conscience these days. People looking for ways to guarantee life forever. No fun in that.

Old age is not fun. Why do everything you can to make it there rather than do what you can to make the RIGHT NOW as exciting as it can be.

Originally Posted by engine58
Haha. I'm with you uscbryan. I used to stand up in the front seat of the car so I could see. Lucky to be alive lmao now. Both parents had lead feet. I remember. Getting into a wreck with mom in a black 79 firebird. Just like the bandits. Lmao thinking about that. Had a huge knot on top of my head from hitting the roof. I've probably brain damage. But hey f it .

Last edited by Uscbryan; Dec 12, 2013 at 08:58 AM.