Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Traction control noise when cold?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2014 | 02:10 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
I agree that losing both CV joints at the same time is doubtful. But how sure are you that the noise is all the way out near the wheel? If you only said that you get a noise from the front somewhere when you make hard turns under power, I'd be suspecting the front or center diff, instead.

If you're sure that it's specific to the inside front wheel, regardless of turn, and does it regardless of what mode the ASC is in, then I'd take the car to one of those DIY power-wash places and blast both front wheel-wells and then go for a drive.
Yea I'll take it for a wash and go from there.

It better not be the front diff :| If it was the front diff don't you think the noise would happen in straight lines too? I can drive as hard as I want with the TC on or off and I don't hear anything at all.
Old Jan 7, 2014 | 02:27 PM
Evolved Member

Certain parts within a diff (whether it be a helical, spider-type, or planetary) do not move unless and until the two outputs are turning at different speeds. This is why one always suspects a diff when there are noises in hard turns in both directions.
Old Jan 7, 2014 | 03:28 PM
Evolving Member

Well that doesnt sound too comforting

I wonder if it has anything to do with the transfer case and rear diff fluid change I did in the summer. I used the redline cocktail as well as the mitsu lsd gear oil and followed the steps so it shouldnt be. Maybe these fluids dont like this cold weather?

Last edited by .Adam; Jan 7, 2014 at 03:32 PM.
Old Jan 10, 2014 | 09:07 AM
Evolving Member

Okay a bit of an update and not a good one.

I took the car to work today as it's a little nicer out and figured if there was any ice buildup in the wheel wells that it would be almost melted off by now which it was.

I could still hear the noise. I'm not pushing the car. It's just slippery so again, from a stop, give it some gas, turn the wheel and the noise comes up for a second or two. I only did this twice today. The second time I get the warning that I pasted below.

I park the car. Turn off the engine, turn it back on and no warning light. I turn off the car again and check the fluid in the trunk and its a little bit below the MIN level.

I'm not sure if that fluid level is related or if it takes some time for the fluids to reach that container to get back to normal levels or not but now I'm really worried.

Does anyone think I have a bad AYC pump? I checked the recalls on this car and two pumps have already been replaced on this car. I don't have factory warranty but I did buy a few years of 3rd party warranty.

I'll check the fluid levels when I get off work today and if they are normal then I won't worry about that too much but there is no way the warning light should have come on.

Old Jan 10, 2014 | 09:22 AM
Evolved Member

That's not the warning display for a dead ACD/AYC pump. That's the ASC-failure warning.

http://www.evoxservicemanual.co.uk/P...GR00005800-35C

edit: keep in mind that you can get this code for reasons other than a problem with the ASC. You can get it, for example, due to an over-boost.

Last edited by Iowa999; Jan 10, 2014 at 09:34 AM.
Old Jan 10, 2014 | 09:50 AM
Evolving Member

That's not the warning display for a dead ACD/AYC pump. That's the ASC-failure warning.

http://www.evoxservicemanual.co.uk/P...GR00005800-35C

edit: keep in mind that you can get this code for reasons other than a problem with the ASC. You can get it, for example, due to an over-boost.
Ahh okay thanks for the heads up. I had my AP plugged in and I didnt get over 5PSI of boost. That's how little I was pushing the car.

What do you think about the ACD/AYC container in the trunk showing below MIN? I changed all of these fluids over the summer and made sure the levels were perfect. Does it show low or below low when the car is pushing these fluids through the system? Do I have to wait a bit while the car is shut down to check that container?

Thanks for the info Iowaa. I'll read over the service manual you sent me
Old Jan 10, 2014 | 10:02 AM
Evolved Member

It's often below min. As long as the tube still had fluid in it and you didn't shake the car so much as to get an air-bubble, that's fine. And that warning isn't what you see when you lose your ACD/AYC pump, anyway.
Old Jan 10, 2014 | 10:14 AM
Evolving Member

It's often below min. As long as the tube still had fluid in it and you didn't shake the car so much as to get an air-bubble, that's fine. And that warning isn't what you see when you lose your ACD/AYC pump, anyway.
Yea I just wanted to make sure about the level. I checked online and found that you should check that container when the car has sat for a bit.

I think my car is okay. I'll still read over the manual of course as I'm pretty **** about a lot of things but if the warning went away after turning off the car and turning it back on then I think the warning came on because I had the TC fully on and I pushed the car through a corner too hard so it shut me down.

Let's hope that's the case anyway
Old Jan 12, 2014 | 05:20 PM

Maybe I missed this, but have you jacked the car up and removed the wheels to get a better look at the axles and all the components in there? Since things are not getting better, this is what I would recommend.
Old Jan 13, 2014 | 09:55 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Og Neon
Maybe I missed this, but have you jacked the car up and removed the wheels to get a better look at the axles and all the components in there? Since things are not getting better, this is what I would recommend.
I havent...yet. This weekend was a lot nicer out and now I'm not hearing the noise anymore :|
Old Feb 1, 2014 | 05:27 PM
Evolving Member

I've checked the boots and no damage there at all so I would have to assume that the axles are fine.

Here is a video I shot that has a few clips of what I'm talking about. Hopefully someone has heard this before and can give me some good news.

Last edited by .Adam; Feb 1, 2014 at 05:44 PM.