Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

How many gauges can run off the cigg lighter fuse?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2014, 01:52 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How many gauges can run off the cigg lighter fuse?

Is it possible to run 4 gauges off of a single fuse tap (making a small distribution block using the cigg lighter fuse). If not are there any other fuses to tap into that only are only powered when the car is on?
Old Jan 8, 2014, 05:45 PM

You need to see what the amperage is that the 4 gauges are going to pull. If they exceed the fuse rating then it will blow. So to answer your questions, it depends on what the draw will be and the rating of the wires used. If you pull to much you blow the fuse or melt the wiring.
Old Jan 10, 2014, 08:32 AM

I use a distribution block with the extra fuse taps. There's a how to somewhere on here on how to do it
Old Jan 14, 2014, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by Og Neon
You need to see what the amperage is that the 4 gauges are going to pull. If they exceed the fuse rating then it will blow. So to answer your questions, it depends on what the draw will be and the rating of the wires used. If you pull to much you blow the fuse or melt the wiring.
I agree. Use a multimeter/ammeter (that can handle more than 10A) to see how many amps @ 12v-dc the gauges are pulling. I think the cig lighter fuse is rated for 15Amps. I'm not sure if other accessories also pull from that fuse. I'm also not sure if the same principle applies to DC but I've been taught not to exceed 80% of a breaker's (in this case fuse) rating. So the max draw from a 15A fuse should be no more than 12A. Definitely make sure you're using the correct wire size/gauge.

I'd imagine your tapping into the ground next to the dead pedal. Connect one probe of the multimeter to the negative of the gauge's wires and the other probe to the ground. Basically you're using the multimeter to complete the circuit while displaying actual power being drawn.

I'm no expert, just sharing what I did. Right now I have three gauges and my AIM Sport Solo DL on that fuse.
Old Jan 15, 2014, 04:08 AM
Evolved Member

If you intend to use your accessory plug I would say no. I had a O2 and Boost gauge on mine and I was charging my cell phone and it went. After that I ran a cable from the battery to a fuse box I made to run my gauges. Buried the box below the navi.