Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Problem with my Evo : power cutting out around 5K RPM followed by CEL...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problem with my Evo : power cutting out around 5K RPM followed by CEL...

Hi !

As the title says, I had this issue arise this week.

I'll start the story from the beginning, in case some of this might help figuring out the issue.

So on monday, I brought my car to the dealer to get my CMC replaced with the new model, and while I was there, they performed two other jobs that mentionned in the system for my car (2011 GSR). One of them was something about bending a piece of metal for the headlights, and the other was an update for the ECU.

Well, when I got the car back, at idle, the RPM was bouncing around between 500~750RPMs and sometimes almost stalling. I figured it was due to the ECU being reset and it would settle shortly. The next day, I brought the car back to the dealer as an air bubble formed in the clutch line and it needed to be rebled, and while I was there, I mentioned that the RPM hadn't stabilized yet. The technician, after fixing the clutch issue, told me that it seemed the ECU was still setting up and it should be fine after a bit more driving.

Two days later (idle RPM issue still present), I downshifted into 4th gear to pass someone. After that, I noticed my CEL was on. Now, I only went about 50% throttle and shifter around 4500RPM back to 5th. When I got off the freeway, at a stop light, the car was now idling at 2200RPMs, and remained that way till I got to work.

When leaving work, the 2200RPM issue went away, but I was back with my initial bouncy idle problem. I brought the car back to the dealer again, and eventually, they figured that the wrong update was done on my car. They got the proper version installed, and everything seemed fine until tonight.

Getting onto the freeway, I decided to floor it... cuz... well, flooring it is fun ! I was in second gear, and when I hit around 5000 RPM, the engine abruptly cut out, and it almost felt like hitting a wall and right away, the CEL came back on.

From what I gathered reading around, these seem to be the symptoms of overboosting. Now, I could be wrong, but it seems that overboosting is related to running mods without tuning, or a bad tune, however, my car is bone-stock. The only mods on it are my works short-shifter, audio system and Rally Armor mudflaps. Absolutely nothing engine related, and no tuning either.

I checked to make sure that my FPR hose, and it's still properly attached, with zip-tie in place.

Of course, I'll be bringing it back to the dealer, come monday, but in the meantime, does anyone have an idea of what's going on ?
Old Jan 18, 2014, 02:41 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Are you tuned? If so you need to reflash it
Old Jan 18, 2014, 03:20 AM

Lol he says bone stock (no tune or pwr mods) in the story😝
GL with the issue tho 👍
Old Jan 18, 2014, 05:10 PM
Evolving Member

Was it like hitting a Brick wall? I just had that issue and may people pointed me to being boost cut/fuel cut because of cold weather and a miss read of systems. My best guess is that its still ECU related. I would have them Re-recheck the versions and make sure they got the latest on there. I just got reflashed today from the dealer and I haven't had the issue the entire 30mi home.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 07:24 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I would start by checking for silly things, such as the tech who replaced the CMC knocking a vac hose off the intake snorkel. Your symptoms match limp-mode after an overboost, which is what can happen if they knocked one of those hoses off.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 01:45 AM

I looked around the engine bay for any hose that seemed loose, cracked, or any connector that would be missing a hose and nothing popped out, but I don't know my way around an engine bay all that well either.

As I've mentioned earlier, I'll bring it into the dealer on monday, and until then, will only use it to get to and from work.

I'll keep you guys updated with whatever pops up !
Old Jan 19, 2014, 06:12 PM

Cutting out

My evo was also cutting out around 5000, 5500 rpms. I parked it for winter but was told it could be a number of things. Could be a boost leak. Also check the spark plugs.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 03:19 PM

Well, I brought it in, and I've got a loaner car for a while now (Chevrolet Cruze for those who are curious).

They confirmed overboost, but have yet to find the cause, but as a result I have a hole in cylinder #2. So, I'll be getting a new engine bloc under warranty.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 03:12 PM

Had To chime in on this one as I am having the same Issue. My car was fine until I took it on to the dealer for the ECU reflash. Here is a little bit on the car...

2011 mr
when it went into the dealer it was bone stock with only a k&n intake/upper intercooler pipe.
Note that the car never had an overboost issue prior to bringing to the dealership. As soon as I left and get half way home I hit boost on the freeway only to be greeted by the dreaded "Wall" at 5k rpms. So I thought maybe with the new reflash I need to revert the intake/uicp back to stock. So at this point the car is completely bone stock. Try to hit boost again....Same thing.

Took it back to the dealer and they looked at it reset the computer and says they cant find anything and the car is fine. Jump on the freeway and there it is again. So in hopes that it was an ecu related issue with the tune I purchased a CoBB AP and flashed the stage 1 to only find out the same thing and I am peaking 29 LBS OF BOOST.

Checked all couplings,vaccum lines and connections no Leaks at all that I can see. Confused on what the hell to do at this point. I give up on the Stealership
Old Feb 2, 2015, 06:51 PM

Dealer screwed up with the wrong update. Good thing you aren't tuned, I overboosted once because of the cold, scared the crap out of me. Luckily no damage. Least you get a new block out of the deal, hopefully no issues here on out.
Old Feb 2, 2015, 06:53 PM

wow just realized this was from 2014.......i keep forgetting it's 2015
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:04 PM

Had same issue with my 08 X. I gutted the cat last winter and when the temperature dropped I would hit boost cut at 4400 RMP, Once use hit 30 psi my traction control would turn off and all sorts of lights to come on the instrument cluster. A quick retune took care of that and gave me a 23 whp gain. This was a Cali car originally that I brought to Washington.