Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2014 Evo X Recall?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:58 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Evo X Recall?

A buddy of mine who just bought his evo 2 months ago got a card in the mail for a "2nd attempt of notification" of a ecu update safety recall. While I was picking up some oil filters, I had the service advisor run my vin and he said mine also had an open campaign. I bought the car ~30 days ago and I have a hard time believing it came out within the last month. I've heard from some it has to do with abs, others say its a CEL fix for an egr issue. Anybody have some info?
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:14 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
It's a minor ECU re-flash to address idle I believe. If your car is stock just go ahead and do it... recalls aren't to be feared, they are usually done to improve or resolve an issue with the car. Is your car going to blow up if you don't get it? Nah, but it might idle a bit more smoothly...
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:30 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
It's a minor ECU re-flash to address idle I believe. If your car is stock just go ahead and do it... recalls aren't to be feared, they are usually done to improve or resolve an issue with the car. Is your car going to blow up if you don't get it? Nah, but it might idle a bit more smoothly...
just curious what its meant to resolve. The notice said safety issue, but it seems like a simple reflash. I just don't understand why my car is affected though when it was built 3 months ago..
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:50 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by GEOFF[4G63]
just curious what its meant to resolve. The notice said safety issue, but it seems like a simple reflash. I just don't understand why my car is affected though when it was built 3 months ago..
Just because it was built 3 months ago doesn't mean the ECU was flashed then. The ECU could be from a batch they made and flashed a year ago.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:52 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Pro-Tip: when discussing recalls, include the number. These discussions are more fruitful when we know - in particular - what we're talking about.

My guess is that we're talking about C1311w which is a reflash to prevent a CEL for exceeding the torque limit. If my guess is correct, your car was probably built last summer, not three months ago.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 08:58 AM
DGS
Evolving Member

Any further reference on this?

It it this?:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...mr-recall.html

When was it issued?
My '14 EVO X only arrived from Japan in mid-December, so I'd think it would have the updated flash.
(Build date Oct 2013)

I found this on another forum:
Attached Thumbnails 2014 Evo X Recall?-evodoc1.jpg  

Last edited by DGS; Jan 20, 2014 at 09:14 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 09:13 AM
T6
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by DGS
Any further reference on this?

It it this?:
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...mr-recall.html

When was it issued?
My '14 EVO X only arrived from Japan in mid-December, so I'd think it would have the updated flash.
I have a '14. The recall is for ALL evos. From what I am told is that the ECU flash update is for cold weather start ups. If you are modded, have a pro tune or an OTS map. DO NOT DO IT! You have the right to refuse it. If you are however, bone stock. Do it. The '14 GSR's are NOT subject to the CMC recall. As all CMC's that are being put on the > '14 gsrs is the '14 gsr's CMC.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 09:19 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Iowa999
Pro-Tip: when discussing recalls, include the number. These discussions are more fruitful when we know - in particular - what we're talking about.

My guess is that we're talking about C1311w which is a reflash to prevent a CEL for exceeding the torque limit. If my guess is correct, your car was probably built last summer, not three months ago.
If I had it I would include it, I didn't have the notice the dealer just told me I had an open campaign. I was going off my build date in the door jamb which is 10/02/13. And my point was that the campaign was open on my vehicle prior to purchase date, therefore it should have been performed prior to delivery.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 11:59 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
The cold-start reflash was an attempt to save the ACD/AYC pump. That's rather old. The new one, for which DGS posted the internal memo, is the new one (aka C1311w). As I said above, it's to stop the ECU from throwing a code for a minor "violation" of the torque limits.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 04:51 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So here is my question I use cobb tuner. Lets say I go to the dealer I unmarry the access port have them flash my car marry the port again and flash my car. Any harm done? Also I am running an fp red.

Last edited by EvilRob; Jan 21, 2014 at 09:37 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 05:26 PM

I called the dealership today and they told me if I had a tune in there that it would be erased.
Old Jan 20, 2014, 07:07 PM

Chrysler has flashes before the car actually comes out. So it's not hard to believe
Old Jan 21, 2014, 06:43 PM

Just got a letter in the mail today about a recall and was just about to make a new thread myself. It goes through a bunch of the standard "We strive to make quality products" crap, and gives you numbers and whatnot to call, but this is the info it gives.

"We are recommending the following product improvement be performed on certain 2008-2014 Lancer Evolution, 2009-2014 Lancer Ralliart, and 2009-20011 Lancer Sportback Ralliart built before September 25, 2013.

Recommended Product Improvement:

Due to an improper Permitted Torque threshold value in the software programming of the Engine Control Module (ECM), the Malfunction Indicated Light (MIL) may falsely illuminate."

Then it goes on blabbering about how the dealer will update the ECM with new software that "optimizes" the permitted torque threshold, how long it will take, how it could take longer due to scheduling, it'll be free of charge, etc.

I don't see a recall code other than the Customer Satisfaction Campaign # that's above my VIN number on the letter, which is SC-13-004, and at the very bottom on the far right of the page it just has "C1311W" all by it's lonesome with no description.

I'm just wondering if I need to bother with it. My car has thrown 2 codes since I bought it, and it the MIL will occasionally light up for a split second every now and then when I'm driving, but from talking with AMS and some other Evo owners and guys here on the forums I've been told that it's the Cobb unit mixed with the ECU registering knock and it just lights up the MIL for half a second and goes away, and doesn't save any sort of code. The two that stick is one is a O2 Sensor code, but it only throws it when it's beyond freezing outside and I start the car to warm it up before I take off. That seems to be the only time I get that MIL code and I just reset it with the Cobb, and the other is the Engine Over-Rev code that from what I've read is permanent. But to me it makes no damn sense, I've got the MR with the TC-SST, and it's literally impossible to over-rev the thing. The car won't let you shift down to a lower gear if your RPMs are too high for the next lowest gear to handle, and the car won't over-rev when you're getting on it hard even with a tune, I think it stops around the low 7ks and gives that constant and iconic sound the Evos have when you're drifting through the snow or just slamming your foot to the floor and the limiter stop you from cooking your engine.

I'm just wondering if I have to fool with it. I've got the Cobb with a custom MAP tune from AMS and I'm wondering if I need to go through the hassle of un-marrying my Cobb, re-flashing the ECU to stock, taking my performance parts off and taking the thing to the garage, or if because I'm not using the OEM ECU flash and using one from AMS I don't need to worry about it.

Edit:

Just did a little reading, and just from the first page Gogle through up that I looked at on Club Ralliart, some are saying it's a de-tune that lowers torque at low RPMs to help the tranny last longer. I have no idea if it's just baseless rumor and false claims unless someone can post up some track numbers and dyno numbers with the new ECU flash compared to the old, but given the problems people have had with the transmissions in their Evos it does make some sense in theory. A company masking a recall under a different or slightly related issue attempting to save money on warranty repairs by lowering the performance instead of fixing the actual issue.... wouldn't be a big surprise.

Last edited by Stonewall; Jan 21, 2014 at 06:54 PM.
Old Jan 22, 2014, 07:30 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just got that in the mail last night for my 2012 X
Old Jan 22, 2014, 10:11 AM
Evolved Member

I got the same one last night too for my 2010

Quick Reply: 2014 Evo X Recall?