Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

AMS or Cobb?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2014, 03:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMS or Cobb?

So I just got the cobb access port for my evo x GSR and I noticed they only have stages that corresponds with cobb parts. Should I buy cobb parts so I can just put them on and tune my car using the stock maps or should I go with the AMS parts? But even if I get the AMS parts how can I get the tune for AMS parts on my accessport? And which is better? Anyone out there with the STX package or the cobb stage 3 package?
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:20 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you can contact Cobb and find out if they have access to different maps. I am going with ETS and i was told that Cobb can set me up with different maps for that.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 04:27 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/co...ion-guide.html
Old Jan 23, 2014, 05:48 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think Cobb ever put out a supporting tune for any none Cobb parts. I may be incorrect though.

You can put parts other than cobb for the OTS tunes. But it depends on what are you are talking about. For example you can use an intake other then cobb, as long as it uses the stock maf housing. But keep in mind, if it is a none cobb product, it may require some small tuning adjustments.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:08 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you buy an accessport with the full intention of never going to a human tuner, just buy cobb products. The different mappings are formatted for those cobb parts.
You could use AMS or another companies products but you're really not going to get the biggest bang for your buck.

I use to have an accessport for my IX and I was not impressed. Honestly I would just get it physically tuned, even if you have to travel a great distance for a decent tuner.
Plus, Cobb products are really not sought after that much in the Evo world. You would have a difficult time selling them if you decided to ever get rid of them. My .02 cents.
-Charlie
Old Jan 23, 2014, 06:14 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Jimmy Javelin
If you buy an accessport with the full intention of never going to a human tuner, just buy cobb products. The different mappings are formatted for those cobb parts.
You could use AMS or another companies products but you're really not going to get the biggest bang for your buck.

I use to have an accessport for my IX and I was not impressed. Honestly I would just get it physically tuned, even if you have to travel a great distance for a decent tuner.
Plus, Cobb products are really not sought after that much in the Evo world. You would have a difficult time selling them if you decided to ever get rid of them. My .02 cents.
-Charlie
Doesn't the AMS intake use an aftermarket maf housing as well? If it does, the cobb OTS tune would probably give you issues. But if you use the cobb intake or ets intake, they will be very similar because they both use the stock housing. So the tune might need a little tweaking with the ets product, or it might be good and produce similar results like the cobb intake.

***I don't know for sure if the AMS intake uses a different maf housing. I do know that some intakes do, so thats why it really depends on your parts if they are safe with the Cobb OTS maps.
Old Jan 23, 2014, 10:57 AM
Evolving Member

Cobb has restaged their OTS maps and use new tuning strategies. Stage 1 maps are for stock cars (although a catback exhaust will not affect it dramatically), stage 2 for turboback cars (short downpipe, test pipe/high-flow cat, and catback exhaust), and stage 3 is for their intake and their 3-port solenoid.

The cars are highly sensitive to changes in airflow and that's why they have the calibration guide for various intakes. However, when it comes to the exhaust modifications, you'll most likely be able to run a majority of the other brands out there as long as they're 3" in diameter. If you're running a widemouth downpipe like AMS, Tomei or MXP, slight adjustments may need to be made as Cobb's downpipe retains the stock O2 housing but you can always send logs to Cobb and they'll look it over.

I was running just the Cobb HFC with the stock downpipe and stock catback on their stage 2 OTS map for a month with zero issues and was validated by Cobb So-Cal. I then added the Perrin catback exhaust and again, had the logs validated by the So-Cal guys. I've now replaced the stock downpipe and Cobb HFC with the Perrin downpipe/HFC single piece, added a Cosworth drop-in filter and flashed to their Stage 2 + CHFF map (they have maps for their high-flow drop-in filter but it's not released yet). Everything is looking good and running smoothly.

I think the key is to using similar-spec exhaust parts and using the proper MAF scaling with whatever intake you use. The only thing I don't know is if using another brand 3-port would create problems on the stage 3 maps.
Old Jan 24, 2014, 08:46 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
Cobb is in the process of updating their website to reflect the ETS maps. If you need something before the website is updated you can contact Mitch. - Mitch.Mckee@cobbtuning.com

He will get you the map you need to run our parts.

Thanks!

Michael