Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Technical Service Bulletin vs. Service Campaign vs. Recall.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2014, 04:59 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Technical Service Bulletin vs. Service Campaign vs. Recall.

There seems to be a couple of these popping up recently. And everyone is calling them a "recall" regardless of what they actually are. It may be nit picky, but there's a significant difference.

A TSB is merely a note from the manufacturers to the dealers that is there to serve as a heads up, or warning. It's intended to prevent an issue, or clarify commonly ask questions. For example: There was a TSB telling the service departments not to use heavier oil than 5-30 on a stock turbo because the inlets aren't large enough to handle anything heavier on a cold start. There was also a TSB about the 12+ model year not requiring mobile 1, and being able to accept SN rated conventional oil.

A Service Campaign is something that can be done to upgrade, repair, or make the car run efficiently, but is not considered mandatory or a safety issue. Basically, your car is fine to drive, but when its at the dealer you may want to have them do this. For example, the most recent ECM flash to alter the throttle valve was a service campaign, not a recall.

A recall is either a voluntary, or federally mandated order for the manufacturer to repair something because it has been deemed a safety issue. This is the only was an actual recall is generated. These are things that should be repaired because they pose a potentially dangerous malfunction. For example, Toyota

So please, stop calling it a recall every time you get a damn letter in the mail.
Old May 7, 2014, 03:19 PM
Evolving Member

Here we go.

Originally Posted by TrogdorWBL
There seems to be a couple of these popping up recently. And everyone is calling them a "recall" regardless of what they actually are. It may be nit picky, but there's a significant difference.

A TSB is merely a note from the manufacturers to the dealers that is there to serve as a heads up, or warning. It's intended to prevent an issue, or clarify commonly ask questions. For example: There was a TSB telling the service departments not to use heavier oil than 5-30 on a stock turbo because the inlets aren't large enough to handle anything heavier on a cold start. There was also a TSB about the 12+ model year not requiring mobile 1, and being able to accept SN rated conventional oil.

A Service Campaign is something that can be done to upgrade, repair, or make the car run efficiently, but is not considered mandatory or a safety issue. Basically, your car is fine to drive, but when its at the dealer you may want to have them do this. For example, the most recent ECM flash to alter the throttle valve was a service campaign, not a recall.

A recall is either a voluntary, or federally mandated order for the manufacturer to repair something because it has been deemed a safety issue. This is the only was an actual recall is generated. These are things that should be repaired because they pose a potentially dangerous malfunction. For example, Toyota

So please, stop calling it a recall every time you get a damn letter in the mail.

Is there a time limit or mileage limit on TSB's? I called my local dealer today for the TSB-08-11-007 OIL LEAK FROM TIMING CHAIN TSB today. He tells me "your cars powertrain warrantee is expired since you have 75K miles". This can't be right? I'm not seeing a time or mileage limit anywhere on this TSB.
Old May 7, 2014, 03:40 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by turpdogg
Is there a time limit or mileage limit on TSB's? I called my local dealer today for the TSB-08-11-007 OIL LEAK FROM TIMING CHAIN TSB today. He tells me "your cars powertrain warrantee is expired since you have 75K miles". This can't be right? I'm not seeing a time or mileage limit anywhere on this TSB.
I'm surprised he didn't tell you to stop believing things you read on the internet. That's what the dealer here said when I tried to get the ECU updated a few years ago when I first bought my X.

As far as I know there is no time or mileage limit on TSBs or recalls.
Old May 7, 2014, 03:45 PM
Evolving Member

yeah

Originally Posted by TravisF
I'm surprised he didn't tell you to stop believing things you read on the internet. That's what the dealer here said when I tried to get the ECU updated a few years ago when I first bought my X.

As far as I know there is no time or mileage limit on TSBs or recalls.

Yeah, he also said they'd never done one before so I think I'll pass on letting them touch my car. I'll call around tomorrow to other dealers. Time limit/Miliage limit....
Old May 8, 2014, 06:34 AM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Many TSBs and service campaigns have either time or mileage limit. Try to get the cold-start TSB done on a 50,000-mile 2008 and you'll see. In contrast, mandated safety recalls can not have a time or mileage limit.

ps. I'm in complete agreement with the OP; knowing whether something is a TSB, service campaign, or recall is important
Old May 14, 2014, 10:27 AM

I work for a dealership and there is a difference in TSB. SERVICE ACTION. AND SAFETY RECALL.
The TSB helps a technician resolve a customer concer, if it falls in the outlined concern and correction in TSB. If your car is under warranty then the tsb pertaining to your concern will be done at no charge. If you no longer have warranty doesn't mean they can't perform TSB just means they can charge you. TSB are non safety soulutions that have occurred to some vehicles but not enough to say EVERY VEHICLE WILL NEED THIS REPAIR. a service action is similar to tsb but customer is aware of service actions. Customers are not sent letters for tsb's but may receive one for service action. Again covered if vehicle is still under warranty. Its more of a correction to a problem most ppl don't realize they even have but has effected more than enough vehicles so out of manufacturers being kind they let us know. FINALLY A RECALL is more saftey related and or has effected a massive amount of vehicles during production . These RECALLS ARE AT NO COST TO CONSUMERS IN WARRANTY OR NOT . ITS A SAFETY ISSUE. NO CHARGE FOR RECALL TSB AND ANY TYPE OF SERVICE ACTIONS YES FEE'S MAY APLY IF YOU ARE OUT OF WARRANTY.