Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

I Hate The 4 - 5 Gear Ratio Gap!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2014, 05:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I Hate The 4 - 5 Gear Ratio Gap!

I do not have a Mitsubishi EVO, and am currently driving a Porsche Cayman S. I test drove an EVO X GSR, and liked it. But what I absolutely hated was the giant gap in gear ratios between 4th and 5th. It is like I skipped a gear on the way to 5th. Fact is, that is pretty much exactly what it feels like vs the Cayman's 6 speed.

EVO X: RPM drop from 4th - 5th = 30.6%
Cayman: RPM drop from 4th - 6th = 27.4%
Cayman: RPM drop from 3rd - 5th = 31.0%

I know one can change the final drive to relax cruising rpm, and I know the EVOs lower ratios are relatively close, but just found that 4th - 5th gap quite annoying. If felt like I dropped into overdrive, even if the engine was spinning near 2800 rpm at 60. A BMW E36 M3 I had used a 5 speed box, and slightly more relaxed cruising rpm, and did not have the big gap between 4th - 5th as the EVO does. It can be done, but maybe the EVO ratios are close in the lower gears to keep the engine on boost and changing the ratios may harm performance. ???

Is there any aftermarket options for gearbox ratio changes. I really prefer the manual to the MR?

Thanks.

Phil
Old Feb 22, 2014, 08:02 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, Shep has the answer with a shorter 5th and longer final drive. The right solution.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 09:46 AM

After owning my evo for a week, I've noticed that too. Driving at about 60 and the rpms at around 4100, then shifting to 5, the rpms drop slightly below 3k. I'm thinking i have to be like at 70 to be at a decent rpm range in fifth but i usually dont drive to 70 lol
Old Feb 25, 2014, 11:56 AM

I noticed that also. I have a E36 M3 and had to get familiar with that on the Evo. When I first drove the Evo I accidentally went into 3rd instead of 5th a couple of times. I then would consciously make sure I was moving the shift-lever far enough to get into 5th. After driving the car for a few weeks, I'm much more used to it now and shift into 5th much faster and smoother.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 12:47 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by qnet1987
I noticed that also. I have a E36 M3 and had to get familiar with that on the Evo. When I first drove the Evo I accidentally went into 3rd instead of 5th a couple of times. I then would consciously make sure I was moving the shift-lever far enough to get into 5th. After driving the car for a few weeks, I'm much more used to it now and shift into 5th much faster and smoother.
Um.. I think you're a bit confused. The topic is regarding the gear ratio from 4th to 5th.
Only reading the thread title will do that lol.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by Thomar
Um.. I think you're a bit confused. The topic is regarding the gear ratio from 4th to 5th.
LOL that made me laugh so hard
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:07 AM

Ok, I think I'm more confused by what you just typed.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by qnet1987
Ok, I think I'm more confused by what you just typed.

The OP is not talking about the location of the 3rd/5th gears physically. He is talking about the short gearing ratio from 4 to 5...i.e. how much the RPM drops when he shifts from 4 to 5.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 05:30 AM

lol well the physical gap is also noticable, but thats for another thread
Old Feb 26, 2014, 11:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thomar
um.. I think you're a bit confused. The topic is regarding the gear ratio from 4th to 5th.
Originally Posted by a furr
lol that made me laugh so hard
+100
Old Feb 27, 2014, 11:42 PM

I am the OP and would have thought the word "ratio" in the thread title would have made it clear that the topic was about ratios.

On another note, I checked Shep's options and there is a taller final drive ratio as well as another 5th gear ratio which closes the gargantuan gap between 4th and 5th.

1) Change final drive ratio = lower cruising rpm but 4 - 5 gap is unchanged.
2) Change 5th gear = fixes big 4 - 5 gap, but even higher cruising rpm. Yikes!
3) Change final drive ratio AND 5th gear = fixes big 4 - 5 gap, but about same high cruising rpm as stock.

Bottom line, if one likes the closely spaced ratios of the first four gears, you can't have a close 4 - 5 gap AND decent cruising rpm. There needs to be a reasonable ratio spread between 1st gear and top gear, and 5 speeds is not enough to do that without spacing out the ratios (and losing the close spacing of 1 - 4 that the EVO has), or making the gearing taller everywhere with resultant heavy clutch slip on a start. It needs 6 speeds! The current 5 speed is the worst of both worlds, annoyingly high cruising rpm and a Grand Canyon like gap between 4th and 5th. This alone is close to a deal killer for me.

Phil

Last edited by PSM3; Feb 27, 2014 at 11:46 PM.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 05:55 AM
Evolved Member

Like with most things, u get used to it. I don't find it that bad.. It still pulls very nice in 5th for passing.
Old Feb 28, 2014, 07:51 AM

Like with most things, u get used to it. I don't find it that bad.. It still pulls very nice in 5th for passing.
Agreed. Not only that, if it wasn't geared this way... you wouldn't be able to hear your music
Old Feb 28, 2014, 03:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by PSM3
I am the OP and would have thought the word "ratio" in the thread title would have made it clear that the topic was about ratios.

On another note, I checked Shep's options and there is a taller final drive ratio as well as another 5th gear ratio which closes the gargantuan gap between 4th and 5th.

1) Change final drive ratio = lower cruising rpm but 4 - 5 gap is unchanged.
2) Change 5th gear = fixes big 4 - 5 gap, but even higher cruising rpm. Yikes!
3) Change final drive ratio AND 5th gear = fixes big 4 - 5 gap, but about same high cruising rpm as stock.

Bottom line, if one likes the closely spaced ratios of the first four gears, you can't have a close 4 - 5 gap AND decent cruising rpm. There needs to be a reasonable ratio spread between 1st gear and top gear, and 5 speeds is not enough to do that without spacing out the ratios (and losing the close spacing of 1 - 4 that the EVO has), or making the gearing taller everywhere with resultant heavy clutch slip on a start. It needs 6 speeds! The current 5 speed is the worst of both worlds, annoyingly high cruising rpm and a Grand Canyon like gap between 4th and 5th. This alone is close to a deal killer for me.

Phil
For the race car we did #3, using Shep's longer final drive and short fifth. The car is not launched as all starts are rolling and so 1st and 2nd get almost no use on the track. The longer fifth puts 3rd gear in play on track and lengthens 4th so that I don't have to short shift fifth on back straights. Highly recommended.
Old Mar 1, 2014, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Originally Posted by A Furr
LOL that made me laugh so hard
^^ haha, +1.

Quick Reply: I Hate The 4 - 5 Gear Ratio Gap!