Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

spend it wisely- but where?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2014, 02:36 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by LancerGSRx
Ah I was just wondering about that....
The stock one looks like it will balloon under pressure.

I added the UICP to my shopping list.
nonsense. if you like a diff UICP then by all means get one. But there is no gain in that alone.

The general advice is as follows:

1-Cosworth panel performs the best of drop in panels. Not by much, but it does.

2-all test pipes/hiflo cats/catbacks perform exactly the same. Buy whatever you want.

3-you need a wideband gauge, no tuner will tune you without it (or shouldn't)

4-Cobb has yet to nail down good tunes on the 13-14 it seems. In general, most open source tunes go through either Golden or bakaunchi. I would recommend talking to your tuner before you purchase any parts.

5-invest in a 3 port boost controller as well. nothing else. Not MBC, no funky japanese stuff. Just a good ol fashioned 3 port EBCS.

All of the above has been routinely and objectively shown to be true. Research everything you hear or read for a second source because a lot of the information on the internet and forums is dead wrong and/or just sales propaganda.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
itk
I am more concern with the stock UICP expanding with pressure rather than looking to get gains on that alone, and it if expands will I not loose pressure?

The wideband AFR gauge will definitely be purchased.

I figured any TP and exhaust will be comparable-so I will look for one that I like.

The electronic boost controller solenoid- why would you recommend that one?
Old Mar 11, 2014, 08:28 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

itk
I am more concern with the stock UICP expanding with pressure rather than looking to get gains on that alone, and it if expands will I not loose pressure?

The wideband AFR gauge will definitely be purchased.

I figured any TP and exhaust will be comparable-so I will look for one that I like.

The electronic boost controller solenoid- why would you recommend that one?
It doesn't expand too much, even if you go full metal, there's still rubber couplers that always expand right? Right. And your throttle body elbow is rubber too. A pressurized system is only as strong as its weakest component, which is always the rubber couplers, which don't fail.

You want the EBCS because your tuner will tune your ECU, and an ECU can control an EBCS so your tuner can fine tune it, and it also had an instant fail safe. If unsafe engine condition arise, the ECU can kill the boost quickly and save the day.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 08:15 AM

I don't know how you feel about buying used parts off of other members but if you're on a budget that's always something to look at. Members post some great products for great prices in the classifieds. You can also check out the classifieds on evoxforums.com. I was able to pick up Exhaust and test pipe for like half the price. If you're getting her tuned at all I agree that a wideband will be worth your while. It may cost you north of 200 dollars but in the end being, able to monitor your engines vitals is completely worth it. Just my 2 cents!
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:22 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GTS4Life
I don't know how you feel about buying used parts off of other members but if you're on a budget that's always something to look at. Members post some great products for great prices in the classifieds. You can also check out the classifieds on evoxforums.com. I was able to pick up Exhaust and test pipe for like half the price. If you're getting her tuned at all I agree that a wideband will be worth your while. It may cost you north of 200 dollars but in the end being, able to monitor your engines vitals is completely worth it. Just my 2 cents!
+1

I have saved about $750 on my mods so far by going used. Could have done a lot better but some deals fell through.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 09:54 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by GTS4Life

absolutely. I've bought great used parts here, and I sell lots of used parts here when I'm done with them too.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 10:19 AM

Yeah I'll be looking at both new and used parts.
Old Mar 12, 2014, 12:28 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts
I personally like going the route of Intake, Cobb/Tune, Intercooler, Test Pipe, Cat back and if you need more downpipe or manifold on stock turbo. If you plan on upgrading the turbocharger downpipe and manifold will be beneficial unless you go the turbo kit route than it's redundant to buy the manifold and downpipe.

Hope that helps!

http://www.extremeturbosystems.com

Thanks!

Michael
Old Mar 12, 2014, 07:47 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Yeah I'll be looking at both new and used parts.
ETS might cut you a package deal too...
Old Mar 13, 2014, 07:26 AM

Cool.
so many options...bit overwhelming actually.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:28 AM

so I found a local tuner who is working with me, he has a good track record and has been very helpful in giving me feedback on where I want to go with the car.

He is suggesting that I do the DownPipe with the TP and the Cat-back exhaust as oppose to the just the TP and cat-back lone. I told him that I am on a budget so I have to be cautious on where I spend the money (best bang for buck).
He is suggesting that if money is an issue to get the downpipe instead of the EBCS.

What is the forums opinion?
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:37 AM

so I found a local tuner who is working with me, he has a good track record and has been very helpful in giving me feedback on where I want to go with the car.

He is suggesting that I do the DownPipe with the TP and the Cat-back exhaust as oppose to the just the TP and cat-back lone. I told him that I am on a budget so I have to be cautious on where I spend the money (best bang for buck).
He is suggesting that if money is an issue to get the downpipe instead of the EBCS.

From what I've read on this forum, downpipes aren't particularly helpful on the stock turbo. Is this guy familiar with Evo X's? The exhaust systems aren't that restrictive from the factory on these. The most restrictive part is the catalytic converter which you can replace with a test pipe.

I would definitely get a EBCS before a downpipe if you're just looking for bang for buck.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 08:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

Yea...the downpipe is less useful than an EBCS especially on a stock turbo. Not to say this tuner isn't any good, but I would not follow that advice personally...on some cars he may be correct, but for our application not so much.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 09:29 AM

im glad i am double checking
from what I've been reading, a few evo's from Toronto have used him.
no bad reviews.
Old Mar 13, 2014, 11:41 AM

im glad i am double checking
from what I've been reading, a few evo's from Toronto have used him.
no bad reviews.
I would talk to someone who knows Evo X's very well rather than someone who can just tune in general. If he is suggesting you change your downpipe before a ebcs on a stock turbo, he probably isn't super familiar with the Evo X.

There are some people (like BakaUnchi) that will do e-tunes. You log your car and send him the logs and he makes adjustments based off that and sends you a new tune to update your ecu with. Someone like him would know a lot more about this specific platform.

Quick Reply: spend it wisely- but where?