Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Third Brake light doesnt work.....

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2014, 05:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Third Brake light doesnt work.....

Hey everyone,

As the title says my third brake does not work any more.

Here is what is going on:

Left and Right Brake Lights work. Just installed brand new third Brake light. Checked the brake switch and it is working properly. Check all of the Fuses all are good. Traced the wire out. Could not find a cut wire any where.

I think there is a short somewhere and i think i will have to splice in to the driver side brake light. Which wires do i need to splice into?

Any other thoughts? It is illegal for me to be driving with out a 3rd brake light.(dont want a ticket.)
Old May 8, 2014, 06:07 AM
Evolved Member

Yea i dont know how to fix it but I been driving my beater without a 3rd break light for years and no tickets or getting pulled over yet. Although if you use it for a driving test at the DMV they kinda dont like it lol
Old May 8, 2014, 06:16 AM

yeah luckily i dont have to do any driving for the DMV but i live in a city with multiple colleges and students who have their head up their cell phone's a** and have almost been rear ended multiple times and if i get in a wreck and my 3rd brake light is out i will get a citation too. I am just wondering where i can splice into on the driver side taillight to be power to my third brake light...i just spent over a $100 on a new one because i thought the stock one went out.
Old May 8, 2014, 09:20 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Just to be clear...

The third brake light benefits the guy behind you. As you hit the brakes the driver behind the driver behind you sees the third brake light through the windshield of the car in front of him...

It won't help you from being hit from behind (except for perhaps preventing a secondary collision)...
Old May 8, 2014, 10:19 AM

yes i am aware of these small truisms but i need to know where i need to splice in to get it working....