Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

clunk when wheel turned?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 17, 2014, 04:11 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
clunk when wheel turned?

Not sure if it's suspension or drivetrain, so posted in general.

I will try to make a long story short. Hit a road break (where they cut away a section of the road) at full speed. Hard enough to knock both cell phones out of the cup holders, turned wipers on, broke an exhaust hanger, loosened a top strut bolt, broke off some undertray clips, and knocked some air out of all 4 tires.

Got all of that taken care of and also got an alignment done, which they messed up the 1st day, took them a second day to fix it. Now alignment seems good.

Now a have a clunk when the wheel is turned, mostly slow corners and U-turns. Going straight the car is quiet as can be weather the road is smooth or bumpy. I only get the clunk when the wheel is turned a good amount. I have checked all the strut, control arm, multi-link bolts I can think of and all seem to be tight. Also checked for slop in the wheels/hubs in case wheel bearings, but no slop there.

Any ideas on what this could be?
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:15 AM
Evolving Member

I have the same thing on my 08. Many videos of people showing a similar problem. The dealer couldn't find any issue when I took it in asking about the clunking.
Is it a metallic clank or a softer clunk?

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/ev...ise-front.html

This may relate to your issue.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 12:28 PM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
stock suspension? Probably blew/bent a strut

McPhereson style struts rotate the spring on a shaft, and if it's not all good, it will clunk. Could also be your front t-case or even power steering rack. I would ask the dealership to look at it.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 04:17 PM
Evolving Member

Not stock suspension. I am on BC coilovers. It is a metallic clunk. Closest dealership is over 150 miles away, so that is tough to do, but I am thinking I need a local shop to look at it for sure. T-case and steering rack are both good ideas. Thanks.
Old Aug 18, 2014, 08:52 PM

How about something silly like a loose speaker? Maybe one of the mounting screws back out and now the speaker is banging against door around turns? Hey my grandfather -God rest his soul- told me a story about him driving his Mercedes 150 miles to the dealer for a metallic rattle sound. The sound went away after paying the final tollbooth.
Old Aug 20, 2014, 09:37 AM
ikt
Evolved Member

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by import111
Not stock suspension. I am on BC coilovers. It is a metallic clunk. Closest dealership is over 150 miles away, so that is tough to do, but I am thinking I need a local shop to look at it for sure. T-case and steering rack are both good ideas. Thanks.
oh, BC coils clunk. You probably just never noticed it before. It's because they are not using rubber mounts, it's metal on metal. Doesn't hurt anything.

To test this theory: spray a bunch of lubricant down the shock assembly from the top, or, spray the top of the spring with the wheel off. It will stop clunking until the lube wears off.

here's a good article about it:

http://www.meganracing.com/tech/faqs...37&subject=CDK
Old Aug 22, 2014, 01:02 AM
Evolving Member

Not a coilover clunk. I have had that on many vehicles and many different coilovers in the past, and I have been on my current suspension setup for almost 3 years, so I would have noticed it by now. I appreciate the idea though, as it is a very similar sound.

Took my car to a shop a few days ago and they said the front drivers side CV axle was leaking and they and I both think that is the side the sound is coming from. New axle ordered. They should get it Tuesday and they say I should have my car back by Friday. I hope this fixes it.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 03:26 PM
Evolving Member

New axle did not fix the problem. Shop is gonna try tomorrow to look over everything again to find what is wrong, but so far they are stumped.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 05:30 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
After a serious hit like that - perhaps you need to go deeper and inspect for cracked/broken mount or strut, or even sub-frame damage perhaps... Not just bolt torques.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 04:03 PM
Evolving Member

They checked sub-frame and everything else and they gave up. Looks like tomorrow morning I am gonna get some help swapping the stock suspension back on to see if that fixes the problem.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by import111
They checked sub-frame and everything else and they gave up. Looks like tomorrow morning I am gonna get some help swapping the stock suspension back on to see if that fixes the problem.

First of all, I would like to appologise for what you may think are grammatical errors, I use the Queens English.

Secondly, I may refer to components, tools, equipment slightly differently, we have different terminology where I come from.

All I can say now, before I finally get down to the nitty gritty is, please don't hold any of it against me!

Looks like they (the garage) give up a little too easy IMO.

Also, leaking of CV grease and a dodgy Gaiter which is allowing the ingress of dirt does not really warrant replacing a component, just requires a small amount of regreasing and re-securing of the Gaiter....

What checks did they do to the Sub Frame exactly?

Do not revert back to stock suspension before you have at least done what I suggest.....

I would personally have done the following:

Full lock the Wheel in question on a 4 poster ramp and then gently pull it to and fro, around 4 inches left to right and listen out for the clunk. Someone else needs to be grabbing at all Linkages, Joints, and Arms at that exact time to feel for any type of play. Pay particular attention to the Bottom Ball Joint and the Anti Roll Bar Drop Link as well as the Anti Roll Bar Bushes (the bar needs to be tugged left to right aggressively. Also tug aggressively at the Inner Steering Arm too.

Do the exact same thing by opposite locking the wheel.

Not found the problem?

Tighten every connecting bolt on the Steering Rack, the Sub Frame, Suspension Leg to Hub and the Caliper Carriers. Pay particular attention to the Strut Top Mounting Bolt / Pillow Ball / Camber Plates etc.

Now take it for a spin or at the very least, take it off the ramp and full lock the steering to see if it's rectified the issue.

Do get back to us right here and let us know how you get on.
Old Aug 30, 2014, 06:37 PM
Account Disabled

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Bushing in the front end somewhere, ball joint, front axle, front diff ?
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:04 PM
Evolving Member

So the shop could not find anything wrong. Gave me my car back on Friday. Saturday my dad agreed to come over and do all the grunt work of swapping the suspension to stock since I have health issues and can't even take a wheel off. He gets the 1st front wheel off and it takes me 2 seconds to see that strut oil has exploded all over the strut and wheelwell. Same on the other side too. So 2 different shops that I told what happened and asked them to check over my car missed this. The 1st shop had my car for 2 days and this last shop had my car for over a week, and it would seem that neither shop bothered to take a wheel off to inspect anything in that area. Scary.

So with the blown struts removed and the stock suspension on the noise is gone. Ofcourse now a 3rd shop doing the alignment stripped a rear camber bolt so I am without my car again until Tuesday.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Everyones ideas helped me figure out what to do.
Old Aug 31, 2014, 01:57 PM

Yikes...sounds like you're running out of shops to take your car to.
Old Sep 2, 2014, 10:26 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
I am puzzled why two blown shocks would cause 'clunking when turning'...

Ride/handling impacted - oh yes! But not clunking... They must have been really torn up inside (metal bits sloshing about). And if so, the amount of force to do that must have caused other damage as well... Look at a cut-away for a single tube strut - not many moving parts - just a piston and orifices to control oil flow volume (speed).

But! All good now... I am just puzzled is all... [scratches head]

Quick Reply: clunk when wheel turned?