Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What's a good quiet exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ChipperEvo
+1 Akrapovic is a great exhaust (**** it better be) and if you have the money by all means go for it. I just can't justify spending 3-4k for an exhaust that most won't even notice that you have unless you tell them or want to floss at a car show/meet. If it gained significant HP due to it's design, I would be all for it. but just for "OMG so shiny" there are plenty of exhaust that look just as good at 1/2 the cost IMO.

I have the Akra exhaust. I started with a BBX full and AMS down pipe. The sound was nice, not loud but if anything slightly too quiet (especially on the track). I switched to a built 2.0 with the AMS 750 kit (Garrett GT 3076r) and the sound improved quite a bit--more low pitched growl. I recently upgraded to the AMS 2.2 crate engine with ported head and GTX 3076r and the tone has gotten slightly better. It is now about as loud as I care to have it, but entirely appropriate for street use. It has a nice low growl at idle and makes a bit more noise at WOT.

You give up very little in terms of power with this exhaust. AMS showed me dyno charts of my car with this exhaust against a straight pipe and there was only a slight loss of mid range torque.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 07:44 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Mnemuth
I have the Akra exhaust. I started with a BBX full and AMS down pipe. The sound was nice, not loud but if anything slightly too quiet (especially on the track). I switched to a built 2.0 with the AMS 750 kit (Garrett GT 3076r) and the sound improved quite a bit--more low pitched growl. I recently upgraded to the AMS 2.2 crate engine with ported head and GTX 3076r and the tone has gotten slightly better. It is now about as loud as I care to have it, but entirely appropriate for street use. It has a nice low growl at idle and makes a bit more noise at WOT.

You give up very little in terms of power with this exhaust. AMS showed me dyno charts of my car with this exhaust against a straight pipe and there was only a slight loss of mid range torque.
wow man you got some $$$$ in your ride. I didn't mean to sound like the Akra exhaust performed poorly. Just meant that there is no real gain over others. Craftsmanship is **** that's for sure. I would get one if money was no issue. /lolpoorpeopleproblems
Old Sep 12, 2014, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by ChipperEvo
wow man you got some $$$$ in your ride. I didn't mean to sound like the Akra exhaust performed poorly. Just meant that there is no real gain over others. Craftsmanship is **** that's for sure. I would get one if money was no issue. /lolpoorpeopleproblems
I guess I was just attempting to say that the exhaust flows well without being loud. It is also very light and given that it is made of titanium, it should last nearly forever.

I have been happy with the exhaust over the last 2 years but won't argue the point that you can get close for a lot less.
Old Sep 12, 2014, 06:40 PM

I have the Perrin exhaust and it's definite a great exhaust if you are looking for something on the quieter side.
Old Sep 13, 2014, 08:19 PM
Evolved Member

Received 92 Likes on 77 Posts
Originally Posted by stiggysaurus
Akrapovic is mature and not loud
^^^ This.

For those think the price is too high, consider this: Mitsubishi made Evo with their highest quality standards. A VW Golf GTI (Mk5), however, is not. If I put some Ebay parts on a GTI so it accelerates and corners as good as an Evo, would you switch if it's a couple grands cheaper?

I'm sure the answer is no. No matter how well my GTI performs, you, an Evo driver, will reject it purely because the GTI, from every angle, remains as if it's manufactured by IKEA.

Performance is not the only factor. There is reliability, quality, and the technology put into the exhaust. If you love how well made your Evo is from the factory, you shouldn't be so fast to put cheap craps on it just to save a couple grands.

Last edited by Lightsaber; Sep 13, 2014 at 08:23 PM. Reason: grammaaaaawwwr
Old Sep 21, 2014, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by c5low13
I have the Perrin exhaust and it's definite a great exhaust if you are looking for something on the quieter side.
How is the fitment? Are the exhaust tips lined up pretty evenly?
Old Sep 22, 2014, 10:49 AM

I got MAP 3" catback sound perfect with a 3" test pipe. My son can sleep in the back seat with no problems.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 11:04 AM
Evolved Member

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts
HKS sport. Super quiet and flows really nice.
Old Sep 22, 2014, 12:01 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
RMO1A=quietest exhaust with the best performance
Old Oct 1, 2014, 04:03 PM

Originally Posted by boostedsi_
greddy exhaust is so quiet compared to my tomei!
Which greddy exhaust do you have?!
Old Oct 22, 2014, 07:18 PM

As long as you have a cat or a mini-muffler and a resonator on the exhaust with a muffler it will be quiet. The importance is having a cat and a minimuffler. Do not do a test pie without those.