Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

2014 Evo X GSR SSL Package!?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 4, 2014, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 Evo X GSR SSL Package!?

I was just wondering if it the SSL package is worth it. Debating wether or not I should buy a 2014 evo x gsr with it or just the SS package. The car would be my daily driver, and every once in a while be tracked, so wondering if there's any big difference between the two. I like the leather seats but don't care too much for the sun roof. What do you guys think?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 02:48 AM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't really care for the sunroof either, but the seats are just so nice. Heated seats are nice too if you live where it gets cold. I'm not sure if the sound dampening makes a difference, it's still pretty loud inside.

All in all, I found it worthwhile. I did find a dealer willing to get me the seats without the sunroof, but they low balled my trade and wouldn't budge. I ended up with an off the lot from another dealer with the sunroof and leather and I've enjoyed the sunroof more than I expected. It's nice to just raise it, get some venting without the turbulence you get from opening a window. Test drive one and see for yourself which you like better.

The biggest downside to the leather package is weight. If you aren't racing it or tracking it it's not a big deal though. The roof is made of steel instead of aluminum if you get the sunroof and the sunroof itself weighs more than not having it. Not sure how much it actually adds but it does add weight.

If you weren't already planning weight saving mods, you could throw a few in and cancel it out.

Last edited by Ancyker; Nov 4, 2014 at 02:50 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 02:53 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
the leather is awesome for dd!
even the cleaning is easy!

and dont forget nav and sound etc this SSL package is great i love it.

Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:00 AM
Evolving Member

Personally I couldn't really justify the nav. 2k+ for something my phone can do for free or a 150 gps could do. You could put in a significantly better aftermarket system for 2k.

The leather seats are easy to clean and apparently water proof (no more drinking allowed in my car unless it's closed top! >>) or at least pretty resistant. Makes me wonder if they are really uh, real. Still, I wouldn't hate the car without the sunroof and leather, but I feel like it makes the interior significantly better and just gives it a higher end feel.

I didn't drive any of SS only ones, but sitting in them the interior didn't feel like a 35k+ car. The leather definitely gives it more of that feel. If aesthetics are important to you, don't skip the leather.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:02 AM

I was planning on racing it every now and then. But mainly as a daily driver. I found a really great deal on an evo with the SSL package so I wanted to weigh all my options. How are the leather seats holding up? Heard a couple of people weren't happy with the way they looked after a couple of months?
The car also comes with nav so that's a plus
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:03 AM
Evolving Member

Can't help you there, I've only had my car just over a week, though it sat on the lot since May and looks fine to me.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:10 AM

How much did you pay for your evo? And congrats on your new car btw I can't wait until I buy mine, so far I'm leaning more towards the SSL package because they aren't asking too much more for it then as for the SS package. Don't really care for the nav but for the price, not complaining Did you get your car with the aero package?
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:15 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by MarcosLuna
How much did you pay for your evo? And congrats on your new car btw I can't wait until I buy mine, so far I'm leaning more towards the SSL package because they aren't asking too much more for it then as for the SS package. Don't really care for the nav but for the price, not complaining Did you get your car with the aero package?
There were none here with the exterior package. In fact, I got the last 2014 in my area (within 2 hours drive). I think they knocked off about 2k. It's hard to say because they put the money they were giving me off the msrp as extra value on my trade.

From what I was told by 3 different service departments, adding that package is difficult at best and isn't as good as factory and they didn't recommend it.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
leather usually holds up better then cloth. But you have to take care of it. I do wiping them every month once with that leather cleaner wipes and conditioner. I never had problem with Leather seats. My Evo 8 was an SSL too . When i sold it after 3 years the seats do looked like brand new.
Now i have a 2014 car so i cant give you a long term review in the X seats, but i cant see why would be different then a 8 sets meaning leather quality.

you can get a better unit for 2K for sure vs the factory nav, but the reality is, when you buy the package you do not pay $2K for it . you can always negotiate + you get leather heated seats etc . And the regular vs the SSL package price difference is a lot less , if you would do the add on your self to the base GSR. its a fact. So from there you do not pay 2K for the nav and still you have a factory set up . everything works together seamlessly etc.
I do love and i think its worth the price the SSL if you into a DD car set up.
For racing , no OEM recaros are good anyway, so you should change them, doesnt matter if its leather or not. But soon your leather recaros will worth a good money The oem seats are heavy and sits high etc. for racing. You also want solid mounted seats for racing.

for just a weekend warrior status , the cloth seats are a bit better , because you dont slide in them as you would in the leather seats.

Last edited by Robevo RS; Nov 4, 2014 at 03:18 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:20 AM

Originally Posted by Ancyker
There were none here with the exterior package. In fact, I got the last 2014 in my area (within 2 hours drive). I think they knocked off about 2k. It's hard to say because they put the money they were giving me off the msrp as extra value on my trade.

From what I was told by 3 different service departments, adding that package is difficult at best and isn't as good as factory and they didn't recommend it.
The car I'm looking to get is about 1500 miles from where I live. Talked to the dealership there and their willing to arrange for shipping the car and covering the cost. Most deslerships I looked into would add on the shipping price to the car, or make me pay out of pocket for it.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:27 AM
Evolving Member

Personally, I was concerned more with getting a 2014 before they were gone. When I started looking at the end of July there was about 8 in my area. When I got mine it was the only one. I had to drive 3 hours to check out that one the dealer offered to put leather in.

A price below msrp was more important to me than how much below. It's already starting to happen, I had some online friends check dealers near them and a few came back with prices above msrp on 2014s. I figure that's only going to get worse with time. Coupled with the hassle of picking one up from far away... I didn't really care too much about getting the absolute rock bottom price.

As for the nav, I rarely ever use nav. I'm actually finding the stock touch screen just fine, might keep it. I'm getting my sub (+remote start+alarm) installed Thursday, we'll see then.

Last edited by Ancyker; Nov 4, 2014 at 03:29 AM.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:33 AM

Yup all dealerships in my area raised the msrp price on all their evos 3-4k above msrp. And are not really budging more then 1k off of the already overpriced car. Good choice in buying early, I was waiting to hear more about the 2015's and was disappointed when they said nomore recaro seats
Old Nov 4, 2014, 03:40 AM
Evolving Member

Yup all dealerships in my area raised the msrp price on all their evos 3-4k above msrp. And are not really budging more then 1k off of the already overpriced car. Good choice in buying early, I was waiting to hear more about the 2015's and was disappointed when they said nomore recaro seats
I pretty much jumped on this one after I started hearing about dealers raising prices. I've known for some time about the lack of recaros and figured they wouldn't change the msrp to match.

The dealer I got it from is well, let's say they had no shame when it came to lying or deception. I figured since they knew I really wanted one and if they heard other dealerships were raising the prices they might do it too, so rather than wait I just decided to jump on the sure thing before it was either gone or stupidly overpriced.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 08:08 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
I was planning on racing it every now and then. But mainly as a daily driver. I found a really great deal on an evo with the SSL package so I wanted to weigh all my options. How are the leather seats holding up? Heard a couple of people weren't happy with the way they looked after a couple of months?
The car also comes with nav so that's a plus
I've had both, cloth and leather in a 2014

Get the leather, no question.
Old Nov 4, 2014, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
I've had both, cloth and leather in a 2014

Get the leather, no question.
Do you tend to slide around in them alot more then the cloth? Really like the way the leather seats look in the car, but dont like the added weight of the sunroof

Quick Reply: 2014 Evo X GSR SSL Package!?