Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.
View Poll Results: Is buying a stock Evo X MR with over 146 000 miles a good idea?
Yes - If maintained correctly and all service is up to date
37.50%
No - This will cost way more than it's worth in the long run
62.50%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Thinking about purchasing a high mileage Evolution X MR, thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Thinking about purchasing a high mileage Evolution X MR, thoughts?

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have been looking for another car which would fit my needs currently as I need something AWD, 5 seats, more trunk space, more comfortable, less work involved in maintaining, still performance oriented and completely bone stock. I've also come to the conclusion that I need a car that is automatic/SST as currently both my vehicles an Evo 9 and 350z are manual transmissions, which my girlfriend and family members are unable to drive/use.

I've narrowed down the choices to a few vehicles and one being the Evo X MR. I've recently come across one 2009 Evo X MR that seemed like a great deal price wise. The car is bone stock, the owner has all service and maintenance records since purchased new, he has replaced the clutch and timing chain along with done AWC service within the last 20 000 miles, clean title, and the safety and emissions tests have been done recently.

The only major issue I have with the car is that it has about 146 000 miles or 235 000 kilometers. Now I know people have said there are cars with high mileage that are in great condition due to proper owner maintenance and cars with low mileage in poor condition due to abuse/modifications.

I want to know an Evo X owners thoughts on this and in particular if anyone with high mileage Evo X's have anything to add that I should be concerned about. Also if you have alternative suggestions for vehicles based off my needs feel free to comment.

Thanks for your time!

Last edited by reboundicon; Dec 17, 2014 at 01:19 PM.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:07 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I would say that is to many miles for a performance car to not expect it to have problems.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by reboundicon
more trunk space
This car has no trunk space whatsoever , I own a GSR but from everything I have read so far, SST can have a lot of Transmission issues. If the MR has over 140K, that would be the first thing I would look into. my .2
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:12 PM

There will be an on going maintance cost and trunk room is not something a X has (3 bags of groceries max maybe..). I'd really look at something with less miles personally. GL!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:32 PM
Evolving Member

Test drive the car, take it up hills, push it a little. Take it to a mechanic that knows Evo's (not the dealer), have them look it over. It's worth paying them a couple hundred to have no (or at least, less) surprises.

Originally Posted by bluepeartype-s
There will be an on going maintance cost and trunk room is not something a X has (3 bags of groceries max maybe..). I'd really look at something with less miles personally. GL!
What? How big are your grocery bags? I can fit 5-6 no problem.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:44 PM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
he has replaced the clutch and timing belt
The MR does not have a standard clutch, but clutch packs, i would want to personally see the record for this if i was purchasing. Also, these cars have no timing belt, but instead use a chain.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Ancyker
Test drive the car, take it up hills, push it a little. Take it to a mechanic that knows Evo's (not the dealer), have them look it over. It's worth paying them a couple hundred to have no (or at least, less) surprises. What? How big are your grocery bags? I can fit 5-6 no problem.
Not looking to argue man... I've a had x also... Not like you can fit the same amount in trunk as viii or IX. With that sub back there it doesn't leave a lot of room
Old Dec 17, 2014, 06:04 PM

Not looking to argue man... I've a had x also... Not like you can fit the same amount in trunk as viii or IX. With that sub back there it doesn't leave a lot of room
Actually, I have 2 subs in my trunk on either side (custom molded/fit) in the indents. I can fit over 6 bags of fully packed groceries no problem and more if really needed. Plus you can always stack the bags if you really went nuts at the store. I think the trunk space is about the same between the IX and X, with IX being slightly bigger. Yes I have owned both.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:34 PM

Trunk space? It's fine. You learn to pack things in there like sardines. Previous experience playing Tetris might help. But, it's workable.

A 150k mile MR? You're going to be taking some chances. If you plan on modding and replacing the clutch packs, etc., go for it.
Old Dec 17, 2014, 11:48 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by reboundicon
Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted, but I have been looking for another car which would fit my needs currently as I need something AWD, 5 seats, more trunk space, more comfortable, less work involved in maintaining, still performance oriented and completely bone stock. I've also come to the conclusion that I need a car that is automatic/SST as currently both my vehicles an Evo 9 and 350z are manual transmissions, which my girlfriend and family members are unable to drive/use.

From this description I would not recommend a evo x
trunk space-No
comfortable-No
less work involved-No

since you already own two performace cars how about just a better dd car. one thats comfortable and large trunk and low on maint and automatic. for the price your looking at for a evo x with 145k you could get a nice dd for same price with less likly/costly problems.

look into a subaru legacy or impreza or something similar.

Last edited by slvrevo84; Dec 17, 2014 at 11:51 PM.
Old Dec 21, 2014, 02:50 PM
Evolving Member

Just today,

Thinking about purchasing a high mileage Evolution X MR, thoughts?-l6ar8uz.jpg

With room to spare. I admit it's not the biggest trunk ever, but 3 bags max is a bit of an exaggeration.