Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

My Heat doesnt work when idling

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2015, 07:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Heat doesnt work when idling

Went to start my car this morning about 20 minutes before I left the house to de ice the windows. Came back out and still completely iced over. the car had warmed up but it was blowing cool air. Once I started driving it warmed right up. Coolant level is full. Anyone had this problem?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Well it comes down to coolant level or maybe a bad thermostat most likely. Um by chance were you on a driveway?
Old Feb 17, 2015, 05:05 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by liquidsilver
Went to start my car this morning about 20 minutes before I left the house to de ice the windows. Came back out and still completely iced over. the car had warmed up but it was blowing cool air. Once I started driving it warmed right up. Coolant level is full. Anyone had this problem?
If it is cold enough, the computer can prevent your heater from running in order to ensure the engine operating temperature remains optimal. For example, if it is cold enough outside that the heat the engine is generating dissipates so quickly that the engine temperature stays relatively low; allowing coolant to flow into the heater core and warm you up would cause the engine temperature to drop to a less than optimal temperature. This would cause reduced fuel economy as well as higher emissions.

Was it colder today than it has been other days? Also, not likely a thermostat if your car didn't take A LOT longer than usual to warm up, and typically your car will throw a fault code when the thermostat is stuck open.
Old Feb 18, 2015, 07:21 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
The only reason i brought up the driveway or incline is because i once was low on coolant but it looked pretty full but then when i was on an incline there was an air bubble that would develop and get trapped in the heater core. So when i started moving again it would force it through. But on a drive way the heater would stop then after a bit the car would over heat... No it was not with the evo though it was with my old Acura RL
Old Feb 18, 2015, 08:37 PM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It was -30°C a while ago, no problems

My Heat doesnt work when idling-forumrunner_20150218_213657.jpg