Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Handling Performance or Tire Life?!?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2015, 03:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am not quiet sure what you mean whats the best setting?

audi service
Old Jun 9, 2015, 03:01 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 1ucky11
Ok after about 200 miles I have to say no bueno on the Kumho's. The dealer gashed my rim so I requested instead of repairing it to upgrade my tires at no cost. I'm getting the Nitto Motivo's put on my car. Can't wait to try them out!!
Honestly dude.......try to not take offense to this, but you really suck at picking tires.

Next alignment and tire, flip the camber bolt, and pick up a set of Michelin PSS. You'll understand you spent all that money after you drive it.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 03:11 PM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
Cheap tires arent good and good tires arent cheap.... i think more then anything tires are the most get what you pay for item.
Old Jun 9, 2015, 04:15 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Roen
Honestly dude.......try to not take offense to this, but you really suck at picking tires.

Next alignment and tire, flip the camber bolt, and pick up a set of Michelin PSS. You'll understand you spent all that money after you drive it.
I have to agree with part of your post, but recommending the PSS is not something I can agree with. I bought those and after driving around a bit the sidewall foldover / softness ruined the car. I took my wife for a drive in the car and she said 'What happened the car feels broken?'

I took them back to discount tire and had them put on some RA-11's and those are fantastic tires. Very very close to the feel of the stock Advans but not as expensive.

Sorry, but the PSS should be sued for putting 'super sport' in their name. That tire belongs on Mini vans or something else other than a high handling car.
Old Jun 11, 2015, 08:19 PM

I've ridden in my cousin evo 9 with PSS, they handled really well. There my next tire option when I have to replace them on my evo.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 05:23 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Naasty_X
I've ridden in my cousin evo 9 with PSS, they handled really well. There my next tire option when I have to replace them on my evo.
Sorry but you really need to run in a car with the stock tire, or an aggressive tire with a rigid sidewall like the stock tire has, or the RA-11's, and throw it through a turn, then try with the PSS.

The sidewall rollover is completely unacceptable unless you never drive the car hard.

I didn't spend 200 bucks to get rid of them for no reason.

PSS = Tire for a minivan not a an EVO
Old Jun 12, 2015, 06:17 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Napalm_Enema
Sorry but you really need to run in a car with the stock tire, or an aggressive tire with a rigid sidewall like the stock tire has, or the RA-11's, and throw it through a turn, then try with the PSS.

The sidewall rollover is completely unacceptable unless you never drive the car hard.

I didn't spend 200 bucks to get rid of them for no reason.

PSS = Tire for a minivan not a an EVO
HispanicPanic found success with -3.8 camber.......yep that's a lot of sidewall flex.

What's an RA-11?

Bstone RE-11? Toyo RA-1?
Old Jun 12, 2015, 06:28 AM
Evolved Member

HispanicPanic found success with -3.8 camber.......yep that's a lot of sidewall flex.

What's an RA-11?

Bstone RE-11? Toyo RA-1?
Sorry I had one wrong letter.

These are what I am running and they are as close to Advan's as you can get imo.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Potenza+RE-11

". The Potenza RE-11 features an asymmetric tread pattern that combines massive outboard independent shoulder blocks interlocked with a notched circumferential intermediate rib that provides the lateral stiffness needed to enhance steering response and increase dry cornering traction. "

Fantastic tire, endless grip. My stockers wore out after around 12500 miles, I have about 10k on these and there is still decent tread left.

I won't be getting a different tire going forward after my horrible experience with the PSS. My wife's words still ring in my ears "Did you break the car?" As I threw it through a corner we know and the car slingshot back over the sidewall and made it feel completely out of control.

Tires went back that week as soon as I could make an appointment lol.

Anyone that doesn't believe me? Take your car out before the PSS is installed. Going about 30-40mph on an open road do a hard lane change then back again. Now put the PSS and do the same thing. Welcome to hating the PSS.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
stock tires wear incredibly fast, just swap them out and you won't have to worry about them for a while.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 08:50 AM
Evolved Member

Sorry I had one wrong letter.

These are what I am running and they are as close to Advan's as you can get imo.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....=Potenza+RE-11

". The Potenza RE-11 features an asymmetric tread pattern that combines massive outboard independent shoulder blocks interlocked with a notched circumferential intermediate rib that provides the lateral stiffness needed to enhance steering response and increase dry cornering traction. "

Fantastic tire, endless grip. My stockers wore out after around 12500 miles, I have about 10k on these and there is still decent tread left.

I won't be getting a different tire going forward after my horrible experience with the PSS. My wife's words still ring in my ears "Did you break the car?" As I threw it through a corner we know and the car slingshot back over the sidewall and made it feel completely out of control.

Tires went back that week as soon as I could make an appointment lol.

Anyone that doesn't believe me? Take your car out before the PSS is installed. Going about 30-40mph on an open road do a hard lane change then back again. Now put the PSS and do the same thing. Welcome to hating the PSS.
I run the RE-71R now. The Bridgestone tire after the RE-11A, which is the tire after the RE-11.

What was your alignment on the PSS? Probably needed a lot more camber to combat the sidewall flex. That tire seems to need two completely different alignments for performance driving and DD.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 09:12 AM
Evolved Member

I run the RE-71R now. The Bridgestone tire after the RE-11A, which is the tire after the RE-11.

What was your alignment on the PSS? Probably needed a lot more camber to combat the sidewall flex. That tire seems to need two completely different alignments for performance driving and DD.
I had zero toe all the way around, which felt and feels great with current tires. Not sure what camber if any was set.

I'm really not sure how any amount of alignment manipulation could make those tires feel anything other than dangerous. Literally when hard turning or aggressively changing lanes the car would slingshot back over itself after the sidewall folded then sprung back. Extremely dangerous feeling to have all that weight being tossed around without control.

PSS would be great for a road trip but I'd never, regardless of alignment setup, run them as anything more than straight line boring driving.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 04:24 PM
Evolved Member

I had zero toe all the way around, which felt and feels great with current tires. Not sure what camber if any was set.

I'm really not sure how any amount of alignment manipulation could make those tires feel anything other than dangerous. Literally when hard turning or aggressively changing lanes the car would slingshot back over itself after the sidewall folded then sprung back. Extremely dangerous feeling to have all that weight being tossed around without control.

PSS would be great for a road trip but I'd never, regardless of alignment setup, run them as anything more than straight line boring driving.
The tire is rolling over itself, so you need more camber to get the tire square as the car rolls.
Old Jun 17, 2015, 07:17 AM
Evolved Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
The tire is rolling over itself, so you need more camber to get the tire square as the car rolls.
+1.

On a stock size tire (245/40) there will be a little more sidewall flex on a PSS vs another performance tire. My front camber was -3.6 on those tires at 36 psi hot. That setup and camber gives grip levels on par with the Rs-3 and AD08. Also, due to the two different compounds used on the PSS, you'll get 30k aggressive DD miles out of a PSS vs 10-15 for the rs-3 and ad08. Softer sidewalls have the benefit of a much more plush ride on the street and much better stability under braking.

Just for comparison, i now run AD08-R's in 295/30, which is a tiny ****ing sidewall. The AD08's are notorious for a stiff sidewall and i'm having to run -2.9 to -3 camber up front in order to get even tire temperatures. What i'm trying to say is, .6 degrees of additional camber isn't the biggest deal in the world, but its certainly noticeable if you're stuck on stock alignment bolts.

I give a +1 to everyone reccomending 0 toe at all 4 corners. You'll get another 1-2 mpg with zero toe and the car will be much more balanced in the twisties. Also, rear rotation is hard to induce with confidence if you have any toe in.

If i were you, i wouldn't run factory sidewall heights. Get a 245/35. If you're on springs and you flip the camber bolt, you should be able to squeeze ~2 deg of camber up front.

Another note, don't mistake softer sidewalls for decreased grip. A stiff sidewall might provide more "response" but ultimate grip is a totally different thing unrelated to the rate at which you can change direction. Smooth out your steering inputs, you'll be faster i promise
Old Jun 17, 2015, 01:24 PM
Evolved Member

Meh all good, if you can find a way to make the PSS work then more power to you. I can't fathom how some camber would make the tire feel any less safe than it did for me doing very minor maneuvers such as sweeping turns into a transition to a new curve and reasonably spirited lane changes and the like.

Without any specific settings the new tires I got just 'worked' and felt like the car did stock with the Advans.

Roll them if you love them, but I never will again.

-Peace!
Old Jun 17, 2015, 01:39 PM
Evolved Member

Meh all good, if you can find a way to make the PSS work then more power to you. I can't fathom how some camber would make the tire feel any less safe than it did for me doing very minor maneuvers such as sweeping turns into a transition to a new curve and reasonably spirited lane changes and the like.

Without any specific settings the new tires I got just 'worked' and felt like the car did stock with the Advans.

Roll them if you love them, but I never will again.

-Peace!
You realize you're saying that suspension setup doesn't matter when you change tires, right?

Just wanted to put that out there.

Quick Reply: Handling Performance or Tire Life?!?