Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Handling Performance or Tire Life?!?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2015, 04:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Handling Performance or Tire Life?!?

Hey guys, went to the dealership recently to get my oil changed. Have 10k on my beauty now. They said my front tires, especially my driver side front inner thread is shot. I asked them why that is, and they said not rotating tires every 3k miles and aggressive factory alignment. I asked them if they could tie out the front alignment, they said yes that would save your tires from wearing like this but your performance handling would be sacrificed. But how bad though? Has anyone out there set their front toe to 0 to save their tire life? Has it made a big difference in handling performance? What is the best DD alignment setting for our EvoX?
Old Mar 11, 2015, 07:56 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1ucky11
Hey guys, went to the dealership recently to get my oil changed. Have 10k on my beauty now. They said my front tires, especially my driver side front inner thread is shot. I asked them why that is, and they said not rotating tires every 3k miles and aggressive factory alignment. I asked them if they could tie out the front alignment, they said yes that would save your tires from wearing like this but your performance handling would be sacrificed. But how bad though? Has anyone out there set their front toe to 0 to save their tire life? Has it made a big difference in handling performance? What is the best DD alignment setting for our EvoX?
I think most go 0 toe but not sure it's do to tire life because they go more negative camber. I'm running about -3 front -2 rear camber and get about 20k miles out of my AD08r's. I think they handle the camber better than the stock tires. I might be able to get a little better wear if I wasn't lazy and have the tires flipped every once in awhile. Personally I wouldn't sacrifice performance for tire life. Just track if more so they wear even.

BTW I don't really consider the stock alignment "performance" and WTH are you having oil changed at the dealer for? Lol

Last edited by Uscbryan; Mar 11, 2015 at 08:00 AM.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 08:53 AM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone thrashes their stock tires within like 12k miles or less. Just about any other tire will last longer. This is nothing unusual. I wouldn't recommend changing the camber. Just rotate until those tires are done. It should be a month or two.
Old Mar 11, 2015, 09:52 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by rongdoer
Everyone thrashes their stock tires within like 12k miles or less. Just about any other tire will last longer. This is nothing unusual. I wouldn't recommend changing the camber. Just rotate until those tires are done. It should be a month or two.
That's true as well. Stock tires wear fast which is strange because my Yokahoma AD08r grip better and last longer. Although I get my moneys worth. I drive them until metal is showing and then some and they still grip.

But I do recommend a "performance" alignment. Doesn't have to be as aggressive as mine but going to a shop that understands performance alignments does help. Most cars are set up with a little understear for safety. Ain't nobody got time for understear. If I can get 20k with -3 you should be able to do better with maybe -1.5 to 2. But it depends on what you got the Evo for. If it's just cool transportation then stock is probably fine, if you get your fix being sucked towards the doors in turns the. A good alignment makes a difference.

Didn't see where you live but in So. Cal West End is great. He doest just throw your car on the rack and align. He asks you questions on your driving style, what balance you like and aligns with you in the car without using computers.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by Uscbryan
BTW I don't really consider the stock alignment "performance" and WTH are you having oil changed at the dealer for? Lol
Haha!! Cause I got that "thank you for purchasing an Evo" thing in the mail from Mitsubishi. It comes with a free oil change.

So the inner tread of my front tires are getting eaten up cause of soft compound tires? LOL! There should be an alignment setting to where that doesn't happen. Plus I heard hard compound tires suck for grip but will last longer then stocks. Should I get harder compounds too?

Last edited by 1ucky11; Mar 12, 2015 at 04:06 AM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 06:51 AM
Evolved Member

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts
I think at the end of the day harder tires or softer tires it really just comes down to what you do with the car. If your just driving back and forth to work and dont want to spend money on tires once a year then just get harder compound tires. Yes grip is less but they will last. In reality softer or harder compound tires wont matter for just a quick spirited drive i mean you will never really be able to get them up to temperature on the street anyways to make they really grippy.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 07:49 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by 1ucky11
Haha!! Cause I got that "thank you for purchasing an Evo" thing in the mail from Mitsubishi. It comes with a free oil change.

So the inner tread of my front tires are getting eaten up cause of soft compound tires? LOL! There should be an alignment setting to where that doesn't happen. Plus I heard hard compound tires suck for grip but will last longer then stocks. Should I get harder compounds too?
I hear ya.

I don't think it has everything to do with the soft compound. The Yokahamo AD08r's I have had tested times close to some R compound. I think it has to do a lot with construction. Some tires are designed to handle the camber better.

You don't have to go to a hard compound. It's just the stocks that wear that fast. Plus rotate them more helps.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 10:23 AM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Cannot say enough good things about RA-11's (I think that's right) Closes performance tire to stock but a lot cheaper.

Don't bother with Michellin pilot supersports unless you never drive aggressively. Felt like my car was broken with those POS's on there and all the sidewall roll.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:09 PM

@discount tires right now. They said treads look good except the inner front tires. Sigh. I told them I knew that. They said that the passenger side front inner tread is worn more than the driver. Does that sound normal guys? They recommended not to change the factory alignment, and just to get longer tread life tires. And rotate every oil change.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:10 PM

They are rotating the front to the back now. And said don't worry about a blow out in the rear cause the treads haven't gotten down to the secondary rubber. Sigh. The joys of owning an Evo. Hahaha!!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:11 PM
Evolved Member

Deffinitly change the factory alignment or you will just kill another set of tires!
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by hoobastnk90
Deffinitly change the factory alignment or you will just kill another set of tires!
What's the best setting?
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:14 PM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock tires wear way too ****ty.

If you care about tire life, go to 0 toe all around, -1 camber front -1 camber rear.

Then when you ditch your set of tires for, let's say, Michelin PSS, make the camber more aggressive, but keep the toe at 0.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 01:32 PM

Alright. They put my car in the air and checked all tires. They said all four are actually the same wear pattern. Inner is wearing more. And they also said, "sir it looks like you've been cornering really hard." Priceless!! I died laughing!! And said, "what?!? Who me?!?"
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:09 PM
Evolved Member

Yea they blamed corning on me to just make sure you get the toe set to zero all around and you can run either 0 camber or -1 or -2 in the front and -1 rear and the car will be fine. But make sure toe is zero!

Quick Reply: Handling Performance or Tire Life?!?