Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

MR V/S Ralliart

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 12:25 PM
Evolving Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MR V/S Ralliart

Hey everyone. To start off, I am thinking about getting an MR or Ralliart. Mainly because my drive is a couple hours a day in traffic, I would prefer the automatic version.

Doing some research, I cant seem to find all the information on the comparison.

These are the things I know are different from searching:

Turbo
intercooler
Brakes
seats
intake

As far as performance goes, it is about a 60hp difference.

The only other things I do not know are, what about the AWD system? They both have an ACD system but are they the same?

Im not going to turn a RA into a wana be evo. The only thing I probably would put in are the seats. Other than that, it would be a fine DD. Not looking to lower it because we get a lot of snow in michigan. I may do a few auto X events in it but I have my evo 8 to have fun with.

For price, a decent RA is around 17-22K and the MR is from 20-30K. If I get an older MR with higher miles for the mid to low 20s, is it worth it over the RA?

From anyone's experience, how do the SST transmissions hold up?

Any common issues with the 08 MR? (probable going to get a 10 and up).

What do I look for in the SST when test driving it to make sure it will hold up?

Thanks,

Joe
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:22 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
do more search, there is tons of post about this. Apple and orange. Look a like sounds a like, but not a same, not even close.

On the street they are very comparable, but for racing or track the X light year a head .
Old Mar 12, 2015, 02:58 PM
Evolved Member

Received 91 Likes on 84 Posts
Get the X.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:01 AM
Evolving Member

My main questions are:
From anyone's experience, how do the SST transmissions hold up?

Any common issues with the 08 MR? (probable going to get a 2010 and up).

What do I look for in the SST when test driving it to make sure it will hold up?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:15 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Both the RA and EVO X MR have essentially the same tranny (and issues if you push performance envelope).

This debate has made 4evah.

My $.02 worth is summarized thusly:
-DD? RA (w/o crazy HP mods). A simple tune and exhaust to 275 hp and reliability/drivability remains good. Very minor turbo lag and can still whip most cars you meet daily. And on a slick/rainy day will beat 99% of the rear wheel drive high performance cars. Yes, you can mod the RA to get close to EVO X (but not exceed ) performance on the track.
-More than DD? EVO X every day. all day. View the Top Gear episode EVO X against Lambo Murcielago.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 06:06 AM
Evolving Member

Ralliarts have the old drivetrain from the 8/9, so its front wheel biased and doesnt have AYC but it does have ACD.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:25 AM
Evolved Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That last post can't be true, can it?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:11 PM

For a DAILY DRIVER? Get the Ralliart and use the 16-18K you save to mod it, and then use the 14-16k you have left over to, I don't know, go to Europe, or buy a motorcycle, or remodel your bathroom, or whatever.
Old Mar 18, 2015, 03:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ok here is the question what are you looking for in a car and then ask what are you going to do with the car first to help us out because I can help you out here I just traded my 10 ralliart in on a 14 x mr and well I will tell you night and day the evo can pound corners harder brakes better but rides rougher but most of that you should already know and with the mr the ride is not to bad but can get on your nerves when you live in cold areas where roads get pretty bad but with the ralliart you can mod to hit x numbers but still wont drive the same as a x so look at what you want out of the car first then start there is all I can say and yes the sst can have problems but the thing with that is flush the trans more then normal that helps a lot but look at the price of the clutch packs also when you want to mod so you are aware of them when time comes so baiscly from most of us you will get that what are you wanting out of the car and pros and cons to both then go from there
Old Mar 18, 2015, 06:37 AM
Evolving Member

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by crazysnox729
ok here is the question what are you looking for in a car and then ask what are you going to do with the car first to help us out because I can help you out here I just traded my 10 ralliart in on a 14 x mr and well I will tell you night and day the evo can pound corners harder brakes better but rides rougher but most of that you should already know and with the mr the ride is not to bad but can get on your nerves when you live in cold areas where roads get pretty bad but with the ralliart you can mod to hit x numbers but still wont drive the same as a x so look at what you want out of the car first then start there is all I can say and yes the sst can have problems but the thing with that is flush the trans more then normal that helps a lot but look at the price of the clutch packs also when you want to mod so you are aware of them when time comes so baiscly from most of us you will get that what are you wanting out of the car and pros and cons to both then go from there
jebus dude try a punctuation or two once in a while.

Old Mar 19, 2015, 08:33 AM
Evolved Member

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by ogrenator
Ralliarts have the old drivetrain from the 8/9, so its front wheel biased and doesnt have AYC but it does have ACD.

No.
We have 4B11T engine (but with a weaker crank) and TC-SST (albeit with weaker clutch packs and different s/w for launch control and S-Sport clutch pressures).

We have ACD and all wheel control (just doesn't have the additional sensors and pump/diff for S-AWC AYC). And of course the s/w that makes the magic happen.

We are 50/50 biased as well.

We are far more in common with EVO X MR than the VIII or IX drivetrain. There are many/many threads that list all the other differences between EVO and RA.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 08:48 AM
Evolving Member

go mr.ra if u want lower version like evos.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:05 AM
Evolving Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
im not sure how this is even a questionable consideration between the two.

buy the evolution mr.
Old Mar 19, 2015, 11:47 AM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Veronica
No.
We have 4B11T engine (but with a weaker crank) and TC-SST (albeit with weaker clutch packs and different s/w for launch control and S-Sport clutch pressures).

We have ACD and all wheel control (just doesn't have the additional sensors and pump/diff for S-AWC AYC). And of course the s/w that makes the magic happen.

We are 50/50 biased as well.

We are far more in common with EVO X MR than the VIII or IX drivetrain. There are many/many threads that list all the other differences between EVO and RA.

hhmm...tech papers I read years ago put it very close to the older awd system, and when I say drivetrain I'm talking everything after the trans. I figured that was a given
Old Mar 19, 2015, 06:13 PM
Evolving Member

I had a tuned RA before and it was fun but no match in performance compared to my Evo

Quick Reply: MR V/S Ralliart