Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Pros & Cons For Lowering Springs..? Questions..

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:20 PM
Evolved Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Pros & Cons For Lowering Springs..? Questions..

I am new when it comes to this kind of stuff. But i just bought a set of Swift Spec R lowering springs from a member on here that had 7k miles on it so i can have a decent drop on the car and eliminate that wheel gap. But i have questions..

What are the pros and cons?

I heard that the Eibach pro lowering springs blow out the struts very quickly. Is this true? How many miles does this take to happen?

Will this happen with the Swift Spec Rs i just bought? If so, how many miles will i have to go for this to happen down the road?

What does it mean to revise? people keep saying they revised their struts....

Since i have used springs should i still wait about 100 miles before i get an alignment? or is it already settled and ready for alignment as soon as the install is completed?

If the springs are new i understand i am supposed to get a alignment after 100 miles or so after it settles correct? Just mentioning this for people that bought new springs.

People are getting the H&R springs and complaining its too low. The Eibach springs i heard are too low but they are buying something called "rck" to prevent the struts from being blown out quickly...? what is that?

There is a guy on here that posted this "After the installation I noticed the sawc service required light came on. After doing various checks I realized that it was the ayc / acd pump that was damaged." Was this just coincidence? I'm assuming their should not be any service lights to worry about?

Thanks guys.

Last edited by TxFAkuma; Mar 12, 2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:43 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
pro is : the car looks lot better, end of story

I always had a Eibach pro when I lowered my evos. Until I got the proper coilover for a car. Never had a problem with Eibach what so ever.
get alignment way less the that. I usually get it right after, if the install is proper the alignment wont change any rate you should be worried. ( many times proven in my car)

Last edited by Robevo RS; Mar 12, 2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:45 PM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by Robevo RS
pro is : the car looks lot better, end of story
Exactly why i ordered them. Still though.. lol
Old Mar 12, 2015, 03:50 PM
Evolved Member

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts
yeah the real benefit will come from only a right coilover set up. I wont buy anything under $2400 brand new. But rather closer to $3K. (Ohlins) So until I don't have a budget to get it right, I will bounce around a bit
This is what I always did. Lowering springs are cosmetics really, and you actually you get what you pay for. Good look for relatively cheap price.

I don't see any problem with them as long as you know what do you have, and don't start to glorifying it
Old Mar 13, 2015, 05:06 AM
Evolved Member

I know the eibach springs are noticeable in cosmetic. What about the swifts? Will I even notice I dropped it?
Old Mar 13, 2015, 07:47 AM
Evolved Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had GTworx before I went to Ohlins. I thought they were great. Tracked them 4 or 5 times. If the spring doesn't over power the strut you are fine. Lower center of gravity is always good. Find the posts here on perfirmabce alignment. If you are getting it aligned anyways you may as well get an alignment that makes it better.

But a word of advice, when you are researching a product online disregard the "one guy said" there will ALWAYS be somebody that has a problem and you will almost never know the full story. "My strut blew out at 500 miles on XYZ springs" but what they left out was they hit a curb at 90 MPH.

You will be fine with the coils.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:53 AM
Evolved Member

^ yes I understand. I guess what I was trying to ask is.. will there be a noticeable difference from stock appearance to the swift spec r when I install them? Or should I go Eibach so I can actually see the car dropped. Its an expensive install and would like to actually notice the car lowered rather than just replacing the springs and hoping.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TxFAkuma
I am new when it comes to this kind of stuff. But i just bought a set of Swift Spec R lowering springs from a member on here that had 7k miles on it so i can have a decent drop on the car and eliminate that wheel gap. But i have questions..

What are the pros and cons?

I heard that the Eibach pro lowering springs blow out the struts very quickly. Is this true? How many miles does this take to happen?

Will this happen with the Swift Spec Rs i just bought? If so, how many miles will i have to go for this to happen down the road?

What does it mean to revise? people keep saying they revised their struts....

Since i have used springs should i still wait about 100 miles before i get an alignment? or is it already settled and ready for alignment as soon as the install is completed?

If the springs are new i understand i am supposed to get a alignment after 100 miles or so after it settles correct? Just mentioning this for people that bought new springs.

People are getting the H&R springs and complaining its too low. The Eibach springs i heard are too low but they are buying something called "rck" to prevent the struts from being blown out quickly...? what is that?

There is a guy on here that posted this "After the installation I noticed the sawc service required light came on. After doing various checks I realized that it was the ayc / acd pump that was damaged." Was this just coincidence? I'm assuming their should not be any service lights to worry about?

Thanks guys.
The Eibach Springs, and any springs that drop the car that much on stock struts will blow out the struts much faster. The Swift Spec R are designed to work perfectly with the stock struts, but they still bring the struts closer to the bump stops and will most definitely wear them out faster. The Swift Mach Springs are what you want if you're worried about your struts, however the Spec R aren't something you should worry too much about. You WILL reduce the life of your struts, but how much maybe negligible if you drive the car conservatively. Track use will definitely ruin your struts on lowering springs quick, so if you track your car just get coil overs. If you hit the track maybe 2 or 3 times a year, then you should be fine with the Spec R's.

Revise the struts, I think you mean to Re-valve them. You don't need to re-valve struts on Swift Springs unless you want to track the car and want the best handling it can get. Swift manufactures their springs to work with the valving of our struts, re-valving may help with the strut life, but I don't think it's a guarantee.

Yes get an alignment from a shop that does performance alignments about 100 or so miles after installing new springs. I can't answer the AYC pump failure question with certainty, but I can imagine if the 4 wheels aren't working in sync, something is bound to go wrong. I've heard stories that the Evo can even throw a CEL if you mix and match tires with uneven wear.
Old Mar 13, 2015, 09:15 PM
Evolving Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've had eibach springs for around 35,000 miles. No problems so far. As for asking how many miles does it take before your struts will blow out with each spring? Your question is incredibly inane. Not everyone will have their struts blow out at the same time. Take into consideration the different road conditions everyone has to go through.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 08:35 AM
Former Sponsor

Any time you change only springs you are going to overwork the stock shocks. Shocks and springs should be changed together. The only thing you will gain with a spring change is a lowered ride height. Handling and ride quality will suffer.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 10:58 AM
Evolved Member

Originally Posted by jrmck
The Eibach Springs, and any springs that drop the car that much on stock struts will blow out the struts much faster. The Swift Spec R are designed to work perfectly with the stock struts, but they still bring the struts closer to the bump stops and will most definitely wear them out faster. The Swift Mach Springs are what you want if you're worried about your struts, however the Spec R aren't something you should worry too much about. You WILL reduce the life of your struts, but how much maybe negligible if you drive the car conservatively. Track use will definitely ruin your struts on lowering springs quick, so if you track your car just get coil overs. If you hit the track maybe 2 or 3 times a year, then you should be fine with the Spec R's.

Revise the struts, I think you mean to Re-valve them. You don't need to re-valve struts on Swift Springs unless you want to track the car and want the best handling it can get. Swift manufactures their springs to work with the valving of our struts, re-valving may help with the strut life, but I don't think it's a guarantee.

Yes get an alignment from a shop that does performance alignments about 100 or so miles after installing new springs. I can't answer the AYC pump failure question with certainty, but I can imagine if the 4 wheels aren't working in sync, something is bound to go wrong. I've heard stories that the Evo can even throw a CEL if you mix and match tires with uneven wear.
Thank You. Thanks to everyone else that responded as well.
Old Mar 14, 2015, 03:28 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IRPerformance
Any time you change only springs you are going to overwork the stock shocks. Shocks and springs should be changed together. The only thing you will gain with a spring change is a lowered ride height. Handling and ride quality will suffer.
Bah.

If you swap to new springs that have roughly the same rates an OE, then obviously you won't be "overworking" the shocks. This isn't some hypothetical, either; there are several aftermarket springs that are slightly shorter than OE but have roughly the same rate as stock.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 07:53 AM
Former Sponsor

That would be true, except most lowering springs have a higher spring rate than stock. I've set up a ton of cars over the years for street, long track, and autocross including competitive scca cars and have never had positive results with just a spring change.
Old Mar 16, 2015, 01:59 PM
Evolved Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Welcome to logic class, folks. Today we're having a quiz.

Premise: If X, then not Y.

Counter: But Xs are rare! In fact, I've seen lots of not-Xs!

For five points, what is the name of the fallacy being demonstrated here?
Old Mar 16, 2015, 02:16 PM
Evolved Member

Received 99 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Iowa999
Welcome to logic class, folks. Today we're having a quiz.

Premise: If X, then not Y.

Counter: But Xs are rare! In fact, I've seen lots of not-Xs!

For five points, what is the name of the fallacy being demonstrated here?
Association fallacy?!

Quick Reply: Pros & Cons For Lowering Springs..? Questions..