Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

What to do for wheels while I powdercoat the stockers?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2015 | 12:52 PM

What to do for wheels while I powdercoat the stockers?

Yay first post. Need some advice folks, hoping you may have some suggestions beyond what I'm considering.

So I've got a '14 GSR in white and want to get the stock Enkei's powder coated gloss black. I've found a reputable local shop here in Orlando (powder-coated.com down in Kissimmee) and they even offer same-day service. Turnaround is next day pickup so I'll only be out the wheels for two business days. Problem is I only have one set of wheels so you see my dilemma.

What do folks do when getting their wheels painted in situations like this? As-is I'm looking at leaving my baby up on jackstands in my family's driveway, renting a large sedan or small SUV to transport the wheels to the tire shop (for taking the tires off the wheels), delivering the wheels to the paint shop, and then vice-versa.

Anyone have any advice about the best way to go about this? If I could borrow or rent a set of wheels that would be ideal, though sadly I just don't have any leads there.

Thanks for any input!
Old Apr 20, 2015 | 02:21 PM
Evolved Member

Just rent a car. You can usually get one for like 20 bucks or less a day depending on the day.
Old Apr 20, 2015 | 02:31 PM
Evolving Member

call a cab. Remember to take a picture of his face when he rolls up and you're standing there with 4 rims.
Old Apr 21, 2015 | 06:02 AM

"Call a cab"

lol'd. The local rent-a-wheel place offered to rent me a set of wheels and tires for a week for $185 but that seems like a gross rip-off. I priced four jackstands and a floorjack out at Pep Boys for a little over $50.

I guess make sure to tell the cabbie's dispatcher I need a van?
Old Apr 21, 2015 | 09:50 AM

Uber.
Old Apr 21, 2015 | 02:25 PM
Evolved Member

Look for a powdercoating place with a reputable tire shop close by. I took my car to the tire shop. They took the wheels off and the powdercoating place picked them up, coated them, and took them back to the tire shop who remounted and balanced the tires and reinstalled them... All in how long you ask? WITHIN one business day. I dropped the car off at 8:00 AM and picked it up at 6:00 PM. All for 400$
Old Apr 23, 2015 | 06:18 AM

Well I decided to buy a set instead that Mitch was advertising: https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/sa...brand-new.html

Hopefully it goes through without any issues. I'm always wary of buying from ppl on forums.