Notices
Evo X General Discuss any generalized technical Evo X related topics that may not fit into the other forums.

Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2015, 04:33 PM
Evolved Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
well I've found an outstanding 2015 with all features just those seats man. I like the suede its fine, but will have to wait hard to piece together.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MRevolutionX
Well, here you go. I took one from outside with the side mirror in the shot to show it is a 2015. I also put up a picture of the seat belt receptacle to show the height with the parts swapped in from the Lancer GT seats. And look... no airbag light! Other than that, just generic shots of the seats, which if you want to you can look up better pics of the interior elsewhere. Hopefully that helps!
those look great i am going to need to find myself a deal on some seat at some point too

how do they feel compared to the stock 15's? like do you feel more secure in the seat left to right wise because the stock ones feel way to wide for me
Old Jun 5, 2015, 06:33 PM
Evolved Member

Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats

My 2014 has air bags in the seats.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:27 PM

well guys, I sourced some recaros from a '12 evo x and already got them in there. install took me about an hour and a half as the driver side didn't come with a seatbelt buckle and the passenger did (go figure)

had to swap the seatbelt from the oem seat onto the recaro, and then the driver was was a direct bolt in / plug'n'play

the passenger side weight sensors and ecu module need to be swapped from the oem seat onto the recaro. swap those brackets out by unbolting the 4 main nuts under the seat. then there are two nuts per weight sensor. (4 weight sensors)
rinse and repeat on taking the recaro weight sensors and module out and putting the new one in just how you took it off.

after that, plug everything in and bolt it down and you're good to go.
no lights triggered, ez life.

easy install for the only piece the '15 was missing!
Old Jun 11, 2015, 08:01 AM
Evolved Member

Is the rear seat set swap worth it? I wonder if I keep the rear factory 15 seats and just swap front two with recaro. Would it mismatch? I think rear passengers would be fine with factory 15
Old Jun 12, 2015, 02:09 PM
Evolving Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by evox26
those look great i am going to need to find myself a deal on some seat at some point too

how do they feel compared to the stock 15's? like do you feel more secure in the seat left to right wise because the stock ones feel way to wide for me
They are way better IMO. I'm thin (6'0" and 145lbs.) so they aren't tight in the ribs and shoulders like some people struggle with. They hug you a lot better (the '15 seats don't at all) and are more comfortable as far as head support goes. I will say I wish the seat bottom was adjustable to help keep you farther back into the seat, but it might just be the shape of my butt that's the issue.

You definitely don't move around when cornering (even with the leather).

Overall, totally worth it.
Old Jun 12, 2015, 02:18 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Broham
Is the rear seat set swap worth it? I wonder if I keep the rear factory 15 seats and just swap front two with recaro. Would it mismatch? I think rear passengers would be fine with factory 15
If you're doing the full leather, yes, you should probably swap the rear seats. The full leather Recaros have horizontal stitching in the center panels that the Lancer GT ('15) seats don't have. Other than that though, they should match alright. The perforation and contrast stitching and everything is the same. I did my front seats first and considered not doing the rear (to save time that day, I already bought the rear seat) since it wasn't that bad of a mismatch. I did it anyways because I'm picky.

The half leather won't match anything else, since the Lancer GT seats aren't offered half and half. So this is a must in this case.

The cloth is another story. They Lancer GT and "Recaro"cloth rear seats are identical. So no swap is needed. In fact, Recaro doesn't even make ANY of the rear seats, it's another company that makes them to match (see attached email from Recaro - I was looking really deep into all of this, and even got the Recaro and Mitsubishi production part numbers for all seats styles/markets). Anyways, it should be a perfect match.

The only concern I would have with not swapping a full set would be a color match, be it from variation in production over the years or from sun fade/wear/aging in the used fronts versus the new rears.

That's all just my opinion though, you can of course do whatever you think is best or figure out what's "worth it" or not.
Attached Thumbnails Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats-recaro-email.png  
Old Jun 12, 2015, 02:51 PM
Evolved Member

Excellent details man. I'm just going to wait until i find an excellent set of either cloth or leathers. It's not as easy to come by as I thought it would but I'll live till then. I think all 3 seat types (cloth recaro, leather and suede insert recaro and full recaro) will work once I can find a perfect set. What will happen to the heated seat mechanism when the seat is swapped? Will it work if I go to a cloth seat from 2012? thanks

Last edited by Broham; Jun 12, 2015 at 02:57 PM.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 04:09 AM

Originally Posted by MRevolutionX
They are way better IMO. I'm thin (6'0" and 145lbs.) so they aren't tight in the ribs and shoulders like some people struggle with. They hug you a lot better (the '15 seats don't at all) and are more comfortable as far as head support goes. I will say I wish the seat bottom was adjustable to help keep you farther back into the seat, but it might just be the shape of my butt that's the issue.

You definitely don't move around when cornering (even with the leather).

Overall, totally worth it.
this swap keeps seeming more worth it as i hear about it im 5'9" 150lbs so we probably fit in the seat somewhat close
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by Broham
Excellent details man. I'm just going to wait until i find an excellent set of either cloth or leathers. It's not as easy to come by as I thought it would but I'll live till then. I think all 3 seat types (cloth recaro, leather and suede insert recaro and full recaro) will work once I can find a perfect set. What will happen to the heated seat mechanism when the seat is swapped? Will it work if I go to a cloth seat from 2012? thanks
Heated seats still work in the full leather, but the all cloth and (I think) the half and half don't have heaters in them, so the wires would be left disconnected and the switches in the center console wouldn't do anything. This was another major reason I went with leather - my Evo is my winter vehicle so I couldn't be without seat heaters. However, cloth seats don't feel as cold in the winter since they aren't as thick as leather, so you might be OK without them.

That said, you could get some aftermarket heaters put in and salvage the connectors from your current seats (if your '15 came with them in the first place). If not, it would take some wiring to get your switches to function (instead of using aftermarket switches). You could probably just cut out the connector and splice the wires from the OEM buttons to the aftermarket heater wires, but then they aren't so easily removed, unless you used blade connectors. I don't know much about any of that so I can't guarantee you it will work, but if you want it bad enough, you can try to figure it out.
Old Jun 13, 2015, 12:11 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by evox26
this swap keeps seeming more worth it as i hear about it im 5'9" 150lbs so we probably fit in the seat somewhat close
It was totally worth it for me. I'm glad I did it. I specifically left out the OEM navi so I could put the money towards my Recaros. It was a good trade-off for me.

You should fit just fine in the seats too. My buddy who is maybe 180-190 and 5'10"ish says they're a bit snug, but it's not like he's wedged in and I have to pull him out. It might just be uncomfortable for longer drives. I have to figure these cars were designed for an average Japanese man, so if you think you're about that size, you should be fine.

EDIT:
I should add that the leg bolster is somewhat hard to get over when getting in/out of the car. I kind of slide over it and rotate into the seat. So, the full cloth may wear faster here because of this. The half and half might be a good choice to avoid this issue, since the leather is more slippery and more durable. I have no experience with the cloth Recaros though, so I can't say for sure.

Last edited by MRevolutionX; Jun 13, 2015 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jun 15, 2015, 08:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I picked up a set of cloth Recaros out of a 2014 GSR for my 2015 GSR. The fabric matched enough really to not be much of a concern. The trim pieces on the seat rails that came out of the 2014 were black and the 2015 are a different color that matches the console. I just took the trim pieces off my seats and snapped them onto the Recaros.

All in all I'm happy with how the 2015 rear seats matched the cloth Recaros. I probably should have picked up the rear seats but it didn't matter enough to me
Old Jun 17, 2015, 06:08 PM
Evolving Member

Originally Posted by CheMixed
I picked up a set of cloth Recaros out of a 2014 GSR for my 2015 GSR. The fabric matched enough really to not be much of a concern. The trim pieces on the seat rails that came out of the 2014 were black and the 2015 are a different color that matches the console. I just took the trim pieces off my seats and snapped them onto the Recaros.

All in all I'm happy with how the 2015 rear seats matched the cloth Recaros. I probably should have picked up the rear seats but it didn't matter enough to me
Good! I'm glad to hear it went well. I think we're the pioneers for a popular trend here with the 2015's!
Old Jun 18, 2015, 12:23 PM
Evolved Member

I'm debating on getting a half and half seat set with no heaters from ebay. It seems like a good deal since individual front seats are over 1k each. I don't think I'd miss the heaters.
Old Jun 19, 2015, 12:03 PM

This prolly doesn't answer your question but im just wondering... how come your 15 EvoX does not come with recaro seats? When I bought my MR this year they came with the recaro seats with no extra cost..

Quick Reply: Swapping Seatbelts from Cloth Lancer Seats to Evo X Recaro Seats